Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought a motorcyclecarbs jet kit. i have been getting horrible mileage. so i deciede to jet it a little leaner as the plugs were black. i had a 150 mikuni main with one thick factory washer and 2 small shims on long end of needle. now i have taken one shim off. so one thick one and one small one on there now. and have stepped down to a 140 mikuni main jet. bike starts idles fine, run good till about 1/4 to 1/2 throttle, then it starts cutting out and will barely pull on full throttle. any ideas????

·
Premium Member
14,446 Posts
I only used the one that was "pinned" on the needle and one shim

Do you remember the needle poping/snapping when you put it back in place? If it is loose then it might cause this issue.

This is is from one of BriMans posts

The pilot controls idle, up to 1/3 throttle
The needle controls 1/3 to 5/8 throttle
The main jet controls the rest

That's very simplified and a guestimate, b/c they all overlap and as you go higher they help contribute to the next in line, but you get the idea.

For instance: rough idling, dies, adjusting idle doesn't help = pilot
2 or 3rd gear, light throttle, bike is suring or loading down = needle
hard throttle bike is bucking or loading down = main jet (be careful, a too big main can simulate a too small one. The best thing to do is go small first, then increase if you need to.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what side did you put the shim on? the opposite of the pinned on one or the same side?

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
You add the shims to the tip of the needled before you snap it back in the slide. Add the shim you removed when you went to the smaller jet.

Ride Safe,
Rex

1 - 4 of 4 Posts