Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Winter project coming up here, I have a K&N filter to go in the stock housing and then I'll need to rejet. Everything seems to indicate a 155/37.5 combination.

I am reading up the documention that is available (therusks.com is down), so my question is:

Do I just need to buy Suzuki OEM jets for the main and pilot?
Is there an advantage to buying from a third party manufacturer?

·
Registered
876 Posts
Alberta Rider said:
Winter project coming up here, I have a K&N filter to go in the stock housing and then I'll need to rejet. Everything seems to indicate a 155/37.5 combination.

I am reading up the documention that is available (therusks.com is down), so my question is:

Do I just need to buy Suzuki OEM jets for the main and pilot?
Is there an advantage to buying from a third party manufacturer?
Hi Alberta Rider,
When you talk about jets, please indicate whether you are talking about Mikuni or Dyno...makes a big difference. Sometimes when you read other source about jet sizes, they do not mention Mikuni or Dyno.
Just a caution message. Good Luck.

BTW, for your bike config, it is most likely a 152.5 or 155 Mikuni Jet
(based on the little that I know)

·
Registered
876 Posts
RiderJan said:
Hey Diz - is that "Great minds think alike" or "Fools seldom differ?

RJ
Idunno but I don't trust anyone that has a cartoon character for an Avatar :lol:

Guess I type slower that you HA

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I am assuming that Suzuki does not actually make their own jets you have to buy aftermarket.

Sorry for not specifying, but I'm on an '03 model, so I believe that is the Mikuni option for me.

And is it just a matter of replacing the jets, there seems to be so much talk about drilling out the mixture screw (why was it made inaccessible in the first place then?)

and going through the carb to the inside of the jet needle (am I saying this correctly).

As you can tell, I am about to take up the offer for help from RiderJan, I'm feeling inept already!

(sigh)

Also, how will this affect :

1. performance

2. fuel economy. Especially in light of recent gas price trends this is going to remain a factor in my life, I can tell already!

·
Registered
168 Posts
AR,

Drilling out the mixture screw plug is really simple. It also gives you the option to make easy adjustments in the future.

The MC kit is great because everything you need comes together. Other folks have used different jet kits and seem to be happy with them as well.

As for performance, I think I noticed a bit more power. As for fuel economy, I definitely went from 43 mpg to 52 mpg highway.

If you need a hand let me know.

RJ.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Hi AR,

The Pilot (37.5) is for the 1st quarter of the throttle and the Jet the last quarter. That makes the NEEDLE very important. If you are going to use the STOCK OEM needle, place one extra washer on the needle. Some folks use 2
washers. Your mileage may vary.
One thing interesting...A 155 Dyno jet is equivalent to a 145 Mikuni Jet.
Most folks I know use a 152.5 or 155 Mikuni jet for your bike config.

Good luck with the rejet; and get some extra spark plugs. They will tell you later
if you are too lean or too rich. My sparks turned BLACK and fouled up after my rejet, after only 400 miles.
Turns out that my needle was set way to rich. One washer is all I needed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
For what it's worth, My 01 Vol was getting 50 mpg plus on freeway runs, and as high as 60 on slow runs on open back roads.
It however was a cold-hearted beast and stumbled a lot in the cold. I had the dealer put in in a Dyna jet kit and the K&N filter. Wow! now I hardly have to use the choke, and the power improvement is impressive. On a recent freeway run, I had only to slowly crank the throttle and it was happily running up to 85, uphill.I was no way near full throttle. There was about a nother half throttle to go.
Mileage appears to be down a bit. Mountain suburban about 40 or so, down from 43-44 and I still need a long freeway run to confirm my highway mileage. but the power improvement is wonderful. Now where is that 6th gear??
:wink:

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mcmiles21 said:
For what it's worth, My 01 Vol was getting 50 mpg plus on freeway runs, and as high as 60 on slow runs on open back roads.
It however was a cold-hearted beast and stumbled a lot in the cold. I had the dealer put in in a Dyna jet kit and the K&N filter. Wow! now I hardly have to use the choke, and the power improvement is impressive. On a recent freeway run, I had only to slowly crank the throttle and it was happily running up to 85, uphill.I was no way near full throttle. There was about a nother half throttle to go.
Mileage appears to be down a bit. Mountain suburban about 40 or so, down from 43-44 and I still need a long freeway run to confirm my highway mileage. but the power improvement is wonderful. Now where is that 6th gear??
:wink:
Good to know, thanks. I am waiting for my jets in the mail. .... soon!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Rejetting DIY manual

Is there a cookbook approach somewhere to rejetting ? ie., take off the air cleaner first, then do this, etc.

I've got a 2002 Volusia that needs rejetting.

TIA

Dutch

·
Registered
238 Posts
Rejetting DIY manual

As usual I should have looked around before bothering the list. Found the site and downloaded all the PDF files.

Interestingly the dealer said I should just clean the bowls as that's probably what the problem is. He said to be sure and do that before I thought about rejetting the carb.

Dutch

1 - 17 of 17 Posts