Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I need some help. I have an 03 VL800 that had Jardine forward controls on it when I got it. To keep this as short as possible, the shifter shaft bolt has broken where it is attached to the outside chrome plate. I'll attach a picture so that riders familiar with these controls can see what I'm talking about. Does anyone know if this part is replaceable. Unfortunately, it's been raining since Tuesday (when the piece broke) and I haven't been able to pull everything apart to see what I'm dealing with. But, based on just looking at it, it seems that this bolt is welded to the plate. If that is the case, then it looks like my only option, short of ordering a new set of forward controls, would be to put the plate on a drill press, drill out the old broken stud, and try and find a bolt that I can modify to put everything back together. I would love to put a new set of Jardines back on it, but I can't afford them and it seems a little silly to put $900 dollars of parts on a $2000 bike with 35,000 miles on it. I've been looking at some Billet forward controls for $200 dollars but don't know much about them or of they will shorten my leg reach. I don't want to lose any length and I actually wished the Jardines had been a hair longer, but I could live with them. Thanks to anyone in advance who might be able to advise me of the availability of aftermarket parts or suggestions. Right now, I'm not going anywhere and I'm getting antsy to get back in the saddle.
Best
Josh

Attachments

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Probably what you suggested about drilling out the stud and replacing it with something else (a bolt or a rod) would be your cheapest option if you have the tools and equipment to do it. Either that or take it to a local welding or machine shop and they could probably do it pretty quickly for you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice; that's exactly what I did. $35 bucks and the post was welded back on...it just coast another $150 to grind out and re-tap the broken bolt in the frame when I removed the steel control arm. As is my life.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts