Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... but I'm gonna try it anyway, for fun.

I've ridden BearBait's (fancier) Spyder several times now, and thought it was pretty cool.

Although one's "situational awareness" on the road is the same as when riding a motorcycle, the skills required to get good at piloting a Spyder are clearly different. So I get to learn something new!

This year of all years, it'll be really neat to have this to look forward to come springtime. For now, I get to wait for its delivery to my house in a few weeks, while I consider how to dress it up. :)

I kept my good ol' friend Flicker, by the way. No plans to part with it.

·
Administrator
16,413 Posts
Looks great, your going to have a lot of fun with it.

Congrats on the new bike.

Reactions: Woodswoman

·
Super Moderator
9,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have FUN, I've never ridden one but they look like fun.
Thanks! Yes, they are fun. And they ride so nicely.

You need to let go of the idea that it's a motorcycle, however, and start fresh. If you keep expecting it to act like a motorcycle all the time, you'll probably be disappointed.

·
Super Moderator
27,370 Posts
I agree, it's not a motorcycle, but neither is a four-wheeler. Doesn't mean they aren't cool toys. I'd ride one in a heartbeat. Congrats, and enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
10,752 Posts
They look fun to ride. I think you will like it.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Thanks! Yes, they are fun. And they ride so nicely.

You need to let go of the idea that it's a motorcycle, however, and start fresh. If you keep expecting it to act like a motorcycle all the time, you'll probably be disappointed.
I'd imagine they ride more like a snowmobile...

·
Super Moderator
9,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd imagine they ride more like a snowmobile...
Honestly, I can't say. I haven't ridden a snowmobile since I was about 10 years old. Nor do I have recent experience on an ATV for comparison.

·
Super Moderator
22,030 Posts
nice addition to the riding family...Enjoy Chris...ride it safe.

·
Registered
8,398 Posts
I've given consideration to a Ryker or putting a Frankenstien kit on my Sportster......we'll see.

Reactions: Woodswoman

·
Registered
81 Posts
I thought BRP or the dealers offered a training class for these. I don't have one, but I ride with a group where there are 8 people with these Spyders. All of them said the class was worth it. One guy told me he has to pay close attention on the tight turns.

·
Super Moderator
9,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought BRP or the dealers offered a training class for these. I don't have one, but I ride with a group where there are 8 people with these Spyders. All of them said the class was worth it. One guy told me he has to pay close attention on the tight turns.
Yes, I hear that if you take one of the Can Am-sponsored training classes, they rotate what you ride so everybody gets at least some saddle time on a Ryker, an F3, and an RT (those being the current 'lines'). Nice test ride in addition to training!

I'm lucky in that I got to put 80 or so miles this fall on BearBait's F3-T (front seat time, not back seat time), and I thought the experience was both challenging and fun.

I might see about taking a training class, too, for the experience rather than the motorcycle endorsement.

·
Registered
2004 Suzuki Intruder Volusia VL800K4
34 Posts
My dad went from 2 wheel riding, to making his 2009 Honda Silverwing into a trike. Age sometimes makes those decisions for you. He was too concerned with spilling the bike so he made the change. I will say riding 3 wheels, be them front two or rear two wheel trikes takes some getting used to. And since I am younger than my dad, I still prefer two wheel riding over 3 wheel. For now I can admire those Can-Ams, and boulevard trike kits from a distance :D

·
Super Moderator
27,370 Posts
I'm fairly certain that all states consider anything with less than 4 wheels to be a "motorcycle" for the purpose of licensing. I could be wrong, and I'm too lazy to verify right now, but if it isn't all, it's definitely most.

·
Registered
8,398 Posts
Some states do require a special endorsement for "trikes" that is in addition to the motorcycle endorsement. Washington state is one of them.....

1 - 20 of 47 Posts