Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 9 months, getting laid off twice, being raked over the coals by 2 parts suppliers and the whole covid fiasco my 2001 VL800 is on the road again.

Previous owner ran it low on oil and smoked the rear rod bearing. Thankfully it only has 15,000 miles and I know a good machine shop. They dressed the bad journal and I rolled the dice with the thickest bearing offered. Oil clearance is spot on for new specs according to the service manual.

But enough about that. I want to share how happy I am with the iron horse. The torque is amazing. Handling is very good. Seat and ergonomics fit me quite nicely. It run like a brand new bike.

Up next is fix road rash and bent stuff from previous owner, he dumped it twice. I'm looking into some accessories like floor boards, luggage rack, driver backrest, tank bib and maybe some pipes. I've also thought about a different air cleaner and a horn from a mid-90's Buick (loud). Oh yeah, a C90 rear drive conversion also
IMG_1121.JPG

·
Registered
21,126 Posts
Pretty Skunk. Great work. Don't forget, changing intake means rejetting carbs.

·
Super Moderator
21,580 Posts
congrats on the progress...have fun and ride safe.

·
Super Moderator
60,054 Posts
Proud of you for your relentless endeavors to save the skunk! Ride on!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Last Saturday I rode it 120 miles in town and used 2.5 gallons.

Yesterday my brother drove 8 hours from Kenosha so he could ride it. He bought one brand new in 2007. Just so I could ride long a friend loaned me his VTX1800. I hated it. Uncomfortable, hard to handle and too heavy. Could not talk brother into switching. After he left I jumped on Skunk and rode another 65 miles alone just to get my smile back. Ahhhhhhh, much better.

N xt Saturday I'm joining in on my first poker run. Yeah, it's cold here in South Dakota. But I love every second I ride this thing

·
Registered
19,828 Posts
Did you do anything to address the oil consumption issue while you were in there? It would be a shame to invest all that time and effort, only to lunch the engine again by using all the oil in the crankcase.

·
Registered
8,378 Posts
Last Saturday I rode it 120 miles in town and used 2.5 gallons.

Yesterday my brother drove 8 hours from Kenosha so he could ride it. He bought one brand new in 2007. Just so I could ride long a friend loaned me his VTX1800. I hated it. Uncomfortable, hard to handle and too heavy. Could not talk brother into switching. After he left I jumped on Skunk and rode another 65 miles alone just to get my smile back. Ahhhhhhh, much better.

N xt Saturday I'm joining in on my first poker run. Yeah, it's cold here in South Dakota. But I love every second I ride this thing
More than just chilly on this side of the state.....snowing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts