Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well picked up my brand new C50T today and great news friends the valve adjustment intervals are now at 24000ks, sorry folks now sure what that works at to be in miles, and yes it's true that was the one thing that was putting me off buying another C50 was how frequent the valves had to be done but now the C50 has come into line with most other Jap bikes with this work that has to be carried out I am a happy man. :wayhappy:

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
What did they do to allow this change or did they just make a paper change?
I never thought it was a big deal anyway. I adjusted my valves at 7500 miles they were just a little tight. After that I checked them about every 10,000 miles. and never found them out of spec. This spring I'll check them again after 67,000 miles, but She still sounds good and I don't thing I'll find a need to readjust them.
However, If your getting a new bike I'd check them just to be sure they weren't set by a factory worker coming down from a binge.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Did they change the design of the valves? If not, I would not let the valves go that long without checking the clearance on them. I've seen them be pretty far out of adjustment on some engines after less than 7,000 miles.

The valves are one of the two things I dislike about the Volusia. The other thing is the electrical system, specifically the ignition, which can be overstressed (and overheat) rather easily - even if you properly wire everything with relays.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Did they change the design of the valves?
Doubt it. Probably figured out that they don't tend to need adjusting as often and adopted the higher mileage as a cost cutting measure (probably just outside of the standard warranty too...especially in countries where there are lots of low mileage used bikes that are several years old.).

EDIT: 12 mo. Unlimited miles, yeah safe to figure a great many bikes will have run out the time on their warranty long before they reach the nearly 15,000 mi. recommended interval.

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
Doubt it. Probably figured out that they don't tend to need adjusting as often and adopted the higher mileage as a cost cutting measure (probably just outside of the standard warranty too...especially in countries where there are lots of low mileage used bikes that are several years old.).
In the world of fleet maintenance, longer factory recommended maintenance intervals sells vehicles.....

I see that it also works with bikes.......:shades:

Valve adjustments are not something that needs to be done every day BUT for optimum performance rather than ''get by'' performance some things should be done more often than the extended intervals recommended by the factory.....

Doing them once per year is not an onerous recommendation... doing the job right and getting them set CORRECTLY can be tricky and time consuming.... the results are worth it

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I found a great solution for the irritation of having to do frequent valve adjustments on my Vol. Buy a bike that doesn't need 'em.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys I bought this bike from a large Suzuki dealership and before I bought this bike I talked to there head mechanic about valve adjustment and as he told me Suzuki has now changed the service times for the valves to be done on new C50s, first adjustment 24000ks or 15000 miles that's what is in there service schedule in the workshop cheers.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Ok guys more info for you and yes we all know that dealerships don't lie to us when trying to sell us a bike, yer right.

After posting this thread here and getting back some of your replies I decided to do a bit more research on valve adjustment times, so I rang another two big Suzuki dealerships and this is what they told me, the first valve adjustment should be done at 12000ks whatever that is in miles again sorry not sure what it is.

Now I rang back the dealership that I bought my bike from and talked to the head tech about what I was told and his reply was we don't adjust the valves until 24000ks because every C50 they have done at 12000ks all the valves were in spec so they now make it 24000ks before they are touched, so folks this is not from Suzuki but from this dealership.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Well picked up my brand new C50T today and great news friends the valve adjustment intervals are now at 24000ks, sorry folks now sure what that works at to be in miles, and yes it's true that was the one thing that was putting me off buying another C50 was how frequent the valves had to be done but now the C50 has come into line with most other Jap bikes with this work that has to be carried out I am a happy man. :wayhappy:
Welcome Choco...

What state are you in, who was the dealer?

It's OK, I found you on the Ozboulevards site......

·
Registered
324 Posts
What did they do to allow this change or did they just make a paper change?
I never thought it was a big deal anyway. I adjusted my valves at 7500 miles they were just a little tight. After that I checked them about every 10,000 miles. and never found them out of spec. This spring I'll check them again after 67,000 miles, but She still sounds good and I don't thing I'll find a need to readjust them.
However, If your getting a new bike I'd check them just to be sure they weren't set by a factory worker coming down from a binge.
Really? You have that many miles on your bike? Thats awsome. Do you know what your compression readings are? At 30,000 miles mine were at the lower end of spec. I was thinking I'd have to replace the bike fairly soon. What kind of oil do you use?

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
First, thanks everyone for a GREAT forum. The information here has saved me a lot of cash and help me enjoy my Vol a lot more.

My 2 cents. I looked at the microfiche for a 2013 C50. The valve mechanism looks the same as my 2003 Vol......Just saying.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Using better materials harder less likely to wear could result in a longer maintenance cycle. I always felt the first maintenance for my 2007 C50 at 1000 km, 600 miles or 2 months was just a nice round number in km. With future maintenance at 6000 km intervals or 12 month intervals. And inspect, valve adjustment at 12000 km or every 2 years.

I suspect more follow the mileage adjustment intervals rather than the yearly intervals.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts