Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been riding bikes (off-road and on-road) since before I was a teenager. My first on-road experience was on an old-school GSX-R650 with a Power Commander and all kinds of crap done to the engine. Third gear started at 127mph. Loved that bike.

Anyway, I was out Friday with a friend. Somebody stole his ZX-14 and he was bummed so I told him to come over and we hopped on my two Kawasaki cruisers. He got on my '81 550LTD and I got on my '85 700LTD Shaft. We went for a long ride and were on the way home, about two miles from my house, when I finally had a wreck.

Our highway is a four-lane with a turn-lane in the middle. My buddy and I were doing 45mph indicated in the right-hand lane, which is the limit at that area. There was a Ram 2500 diesel 4x4 pulling a camper trailer creeping down the road in the left lane. This is normal since I-95 is behind us and they commonly turn around after missing their exit to 95.

I begin passing this guy in the right lane, as does my buddy. Suddenly, this a$$hat turns hard right, like he is going to turn into the gas station that we are passing. Both of us lock up the brakes. My buddy slows quickly, but my larger, heaver bike struggles to bleed speed. I lean hard right and lock my rear tire, which pulls me right. I release and repeat. Before I can do it a third time, this jerk has continued to crank hard right and I slam into his pickup bed, right behind the cab.

I was slow enough that as the bike fell I stood up. My knee was pinned between the bed and my tank, denting the factory original tank. Needless to say I was pissed way off. I pulled off my helmet and grabbed the strap. I made up my mind to go to jail and started around the front of the truck, prepared to beat this fool to death with my helmet. My buddy is trying to hop off the bike and run up but I am on the idiot. He steps out and it's an old man.

Needless to say, killing a 65+ senior citizen would be pointless since he may not live many more years anyway, so I proceeded to curse him out, yell at him, ask him WTF he was doing, and so on and so forth. Did I mention that I hold a class A CDL and drive 18-wheelers on my vacation every year? Maybe I know what to do and what not to do in a large vehicle!

We walked back and picked up the bike. My left-side crash-bar is bent, my left-side foot-rest (for kicking back, not the one by the shifter) is trashed, my handle-bars are bent up on the left and are a hair crooked when riding in a straight line now, and my factory original gas tank, complete with original paint, is dented and scratched. Oh yeah, and the magneto housing has a gash on it which extends onto the metal plate that sits on it with the Kawasaki logo displayed. If my buddy was not there I may have killed the fool and his wife. It would have been worth it.

The best part? This was a limited edition bike! That's right, they made this bike in 1984 and 1985 ONLY. I refuse to use after-market parts for the repairs since this entire bike was as it came from the factory, minus the spark plugs and the tires. I am now talking with Kawasaki about having them produce me original parts with the original stamps on them for my bike. I do not care about the cost because his insurance must pay it. If it cost a billion bucks, better hope you can sell your home!

The cops sited him for all kinds of things and placed him entirely at fault. Oh and this guy admitted to the cop that he was looking for diesel, saw the sign at the last second and turned. He also admitted that he did not check his mirrors since he was fixated on the sign, and never saw me until I slammed into his truck! He admitted fault, which is rare. After he did though, I calmed down a bit.

My front wheel had pushed his passenger-side step-bar forward, into his front wheel. After he admitted fault and apologized several times, my friend got down and unbolted the step-bar for them and placed it into his truck bed so he could return home. It was a 2004 Ram. he can easily get factory parts. Hell he could still find a brand-new bed for that truck if he wanted to!

Oh and I am fine. I am not even bruised or sore. In fact I got on the VL800 and went on a 170mi cruise today to try and calm down. I am seriously pissed over my bike. Had it been the Volusia or my 550, no big deal, but this bike is going to cost a fortune to repair even with so little damage.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I believe that was a combination of learning how to control a skid and God watching over me. My brother cannot believe I hopped onto my bigger bike and went cruising the day after a wreck. Still, I did nothing wrong. I was not doing wheelies, I was not drag-racing, and I was not doing any other crazy thing. Am I scared to ride again? Not a bit. Do I fear my bikes? Nope. Am I mad? Well, ever seen a killer bee? Yeah, that's me right now.

By the way, is that you in your signature or just something you found? I laugh every time I see it.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Glad you're OK and not in jail

·
Registered
431 Posts
Glad you're ok and totally understand about your bike!!! My first ever bike was a 1984 ZN700Ltd, with everything on it!!!!!!!!! Wasn't crazy about it when I got it, but once I got comfortable on it, I babied it all the time! Great bike!!! Sold it a couple of years later and have regretted it ever since!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Too bad about the bike, even if it was a rare one of a kind who cares! You came out unscathed and YOU are a one off, your parts can't be replaced (to factory condition).
Glad your OK.

·
Registered
20,184 Posts
So glad you are fine. Bike parts can be replaced, you can't
Understandable your feelings but the oldman did admit full blame. That's something you don't see much nowadays . Give him someslack and let your blood pressure return to normal.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Thankful you were not hurt

Thanks for telling this story.....You did a good job of clearly writing it up.
I hope you get the bike fixed to your satisfaction.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I am calming down now. I still have the Volusia, my '81 550LTD, and my other rare bike, the '86 Rebel 450, all factory. As long as my 700 gets back to factory, I will be happy.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Its good that your okay, but you shouldn't be passing anything that's pulling a trailer on the right side. His insurance has limits and they are probably the lowest ones you can legally buy, like most people do. So, good luck getting a lot out of him. If you have something that is rare like your bike, and you want to keep your bike in factory condition, then you shouldn't be driving it. Sh$t happens

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That is what court is for. I fully intend on going to criminal court over this once they attempt to shaft me. I will be suing for an entire cost of repair, time/money lost due to court, and court costs. It would be much cheaper for them to simply suck it up and pay me for the bike. Save themselves a few thousand in court costs. Again, the guy admitted fault and there were multiple witnesses who testified.

That said, I now may have sciatic nerve damage. Since the accident, my right leg has been sensitive. If you touch my right leg or right butt-cheek, I feel a pain like I am sunburned and it is being touched. My knee and hip also hurt, as well as my lower back. I spoke with a paramedic friend and based on my symptoms he came to the conclusion that I may have sciatic nerve damage due to some kind of issue in my lower back. Looks like I may have to see a doctor after all.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Holy crap, what a scary experience! Glad you came out ok. Like people say, I guess you have to assume every [email protected] on the road is trying to kill you.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Gee I am older than the "old person" in your post, I am glad you are not seriously hurt, but this "old person" has been riding bikes for over 50 years, I am do my best to avoid riding in someone's blind spot. Haven't been in a accident yet. I hope you get the bike fixed, but you may need a attitude adjustment and improve your defensive skills as a rider.

·
Super Moderator
20,481 Posts
sorry about your accident and glad you were able to walk away...really don't think the old timer meant harm...he made a mistake...happens every day...you unfortunately end up with the ulcer because of it...its not fair...but you and your friend both were able to walk away from it...not making lite of the casualty to your limited edition bike...having had it for the time frame you have I can only imagine how sick it makes you but it's a bike...sorry...I used to feel the same about losing my bike because of someones poor judgement...guess I needed the realization recently that something alot more dear to me could have been lost other than a bike because of someones bad judgement. hope the insurance does right by you. Take care and hope your injuries that are now coming to lite don't become too serious.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts