Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the reduced vibration that noticable? I have torn cartilage in my wrist that bothers me after riding, and was wondering if switching to these might help.

Does anyone who has these notice a big difference?

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
It reduces vibration more than a non-rubber insert grip like the chrome Arlen Ness grips. The best vibration dampened grip is the OEM with the end weights. The Kuryakyn ISO will shake your rearview mirrors. A little better is the ISO with the OEM end weights......but the OEM with the endweights is the best to fight vibration.

The ultimate is to fill your bars with BBs like Bikerboy :lol:

·
Administrator
53,871 Posts
For me, ISO Kury's are easier to maintain a steady hold, plus they do dampen vibes a bit.

The Flame Kury's are better looking than standard.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I also think the ISO's are a little better ride. I have the flame version and they are just a bit bigger diameter so my hand doesnt cramp up like it did on the OEM.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I switched mine OEM for Kury ISO grips and I like it a lot. I would also recommend the Throttle Boss. It only cost around $15 and it makes a difference.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
I installed Kuryakyn Iso-Grips on my Volusia back in '02, and on my Nomad, in February of this year. Made a big diff for me, as I have pretty bad arthritis in my hands. Was much more comfortable. :D
Also, they never caused any 'mirror-shake,' on either of these bikes, as reported above.

·
Registered
7,830 Posts
Smokey said:
Also, they never caused any 'mirror-shake,' on either of these bikes, as reported above.
Same here. Plus, when you remove the stock grips, you realize that they are little more than a thin piece of foam wrapped around the handlebar with the end weight stuck in the end. The ISO's are beefier and after you get used to the feel, I can't imagine ever thinking that stock was better.

I must admit that I added them initially not because of discomfort or pain or anything like that, it's because I was drinking the mod Kool-Aid (damn you people!) and had a gift certificate to spend. But I'm really glad I did. 8)

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
That was a big concern for me when I was looking at bikes. I shattered my right wrist in about 20 pieces years ago and was concerned I wouldn't be able to hold a throttle for long. It's been years and is much better, but I'm still "aware" of it daily and if I do an activity like basketball or bowling it hurts for a few days. I ended up buying a used bike with the ISO grips already installed. So, I can't compare, but they have been surprisingly comfortable for me. I also have worn a glove with a gel-padded palm from the beginning. I agree with ghostflames too, and believe just the larger diameter is a big difference. I often ride 200-300 miles in a day and have been on a few longer rides and have not had the problems I expected.

Some have also tried Qwi gloves (I have not) which may be worth a look:
http://www.volusiariders.com/viewtopic.php?t=60117&highlight=qwi+gloves

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
Let me clarify my prior comments. My ISO is comfortable for holding on. My wife has the flames ISO with the OEM end weights and it seems smaller than my original ISO. I like it, but I have the Kuryakyn billet mirrors that vibrates more with the ISO and no end weights.

I thought the question was about vibration, which to me, nothing is better than the OEM with end weights to kill vibration. BUT, I rather have the ISO look than killing vibration.

·
Registered
785 Posts
ISO GRIP Larger diameter offsets bar end weight

While riding yesterday I was watching my mirror vibrate-100 percent focus with engine clutched, about 10 percent distortion under throttle. (or less)
The vibraton is more of a "hum"- yet I no longer have stock mirrors.
My hands do not fall asleep in the same way or go numb from the narrow diameter / clenching.

Hope this also helps you.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
I still have hand aching problems with ISO's, that's me more than the grips.

The bigger diameter helps more than anything.
The matching Kury throttle boss helps me to not have the deathgrip on the throttle side.

What really kills my hands are holding the clutch and or brakes in for longer than a coupla minutes.
I keep switching gloves hoping I'll find a cure.

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
The ISO grips also work w/ the Break Away throttle lock. Have both on my bike.

·
Registered
7,112 Posts
jmax99 said:
That was a big concern for me when I was looking at bikes. I shattered my right wrist in about 20 pieces years ago and was concerned I wouldn't be able to hold a throttle for long. It's been years and is much better, but I'm still "aware" of it daily and if I do an activity like basketball or bowling it hurts for a few days. I ended up buying a used bike with the ISO grips already installed. So, I can't compare, but they have been surprisingly comfortable for me. I also have worn a glove with a gel-padded palm from the beginning. I agree with ghostflames too, and believe just the larger diameter is a big difference. I often ride 200-300 miles in a day and have been on a few longer rides and have not had the problems I expected.

Some have also tried Qwi gloves (I have not) which may be worth a look:
http://www.volusiariders.com/viewtopic.php?t=60117&highlight=qwi+gloves
jmax99...concerning your shattered right wrist....if you don't have a throttle boss on your bike do yourself a favour and get one. THEY WORK. When on a long ride you can easily maintain cruise speed just by laying the heel of your hand on it. You can completely relax your grip on the throttle.
I'll never be with out one again. :wink:

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the feedback. The problem is with my left wrist, and I think it's a combination of the vibration and the angle of the bars that puts it in an uncomfortable position. Fatter grips won't help, because it's not a carpal tunnel issue. I may look into different bars as well.

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
Possibly, just change the position of the handlebars you now have, either the grips more up or down. If down, make sure the grips do not whack the gas tank at full lock. Or try HD Duece risers, prolly the cheapest risers you can get for you experimentation. If it is your hand hurting at stops when you have to hold the clutch lever in, get an automatic clutch-you still have to shift, but you don't have to use the clutch lever.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Have you added spacers from spacerjim? I was having pain in my left hand right in the heel of the palm. Now that I have raised the bars and brought them back a bit with the spacers, my hand doesn't hurt anymore.

I think the next thing I'll get (besides my DJ drive) is the throttle boss.

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
Unfortunately for the_snake, his injury is on the non-throttle boss hand. BTW, saw a VTX recently here in town that the owner claimed that the dealer installed his Kuryakyn throttle boss on the left grip and none on the right grip........what's up with that?

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
BTW, saw a VTX recently here in town that the owner claimed that the dealer installed his Kuryakyn throttle boss on the left grip and none on the right grip........what's up with that?
Now that's comical!

LOL

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Mort said:
Unfortunately for the_snake, his injury is on the non-throttle boss hand. BTW, saw a VTX recently here in town that the owner claimed that the dealer installed his Kuryakyn throttle boss on the left grip and none on the right grip........what's up with that?
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAA????????????????

BWAHAHAHHAAA!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts