Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Suzuki C50 Boulevard
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Harley owns the cruiser market, they always have. Current sales show Harley with 50% of all motorcycle sales in the U.S. ( across all motorcycle categories ) all the other brands divide up the rest of the pie. For 2022 Yamaha has dropped the entire Star cruiser line up. They still have a top of the food chain, big V Twin full dress bike that they categorize as a trans Continental tourer, the pee wee 250 V Twin and the 950 Bolt have been reclassified as standards. Will the other Japanese brands follow suit? Outside of Harley, the market has been shifting towards adventure bikes and sport touring and very modern standards.
I’ve mentioned that when I bought my new C50 , in a dealership showroom that was nearly devoid of new bikes, there was my C50 shoved into a hallway, neglected and covered with dust! ( Side note: I just read a 2005 road test of a C50 and the list price then was just $150 less than what I paid for a 2021!! That blows my mind! ). When I was shopping for my bike, I considered buying a used one. There were a boatload of them, hardly
ridden , primarily offered by old Baby Boomers who have aged out of riding. I am not knocking cruisers, I had one before and I just bought a new one, but I’m also 65, maybe I am the demographic. I think a lot of younger riders are snapping up the good deals on used bikes, and that’s good, they make for reliable transportation.
A few bikes back, I bought a new 2011 Suzuki 650 V-Strom, which may be the most well rounded and competent bike I’ve ever owned. But having said all that, I deliberately chose this C50 because I wanted a well made, comfortable and dependable bike for riding around town and the occasional day trip of 300 miles or less, and for that intent, I think this bike is just about perfect. 😃
Tire Wheel Plant Sky Vehicle

·
Registered
81 Posts
I love the color of your C50. That red is amazing. I believe its the same red color as one of the 2021 M109R's colors that were offered that year. I have a 2016 M109R. Its a the nice dark blue and black. I'll stay with the Japanese cruisers. I'm not going to buy in to the Harley Kool-Aid!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Prime reason I have kept my 06 since day one was the liquid cooled. Other reasons are I like it, it does fine for what I want, I don't travel 120mph, gets above 50mpg and she still looks sharp. Lots of compliments on her given the age. I would never own a HD, paying for the name. Hoping to keep mine as long as I can ride.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Interesting that Yamaha is dropping the Star line, I thought they were doing well compared to other Japanese Cruisers. I guess it's been a while since I walked into a dealership or did the research to buy new. The trend does seem to be smaller, lighter, more fuel efficient two wheelers. I guess America is done with the "mine is bigger than yours" from the HD 1350 CC EVO to the Kawasaki 2000, Triumph 2300 !? and so on. That being said, I'm a few years older than you, have had two DL650s and two DL1000s in the garage usually with something else, completely different for variety. I missed the extra 400 CCs on the Vstroms, and test road some C50s before going back to another Boulevard C90. I guess I still like bigger motors. And cruisers are fun as are other styles of bikes. They're all good.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
21,043 Posts
Japanese cruisers will always be a pale limitation of the real thing. Every one of them wants to look like a fat boy without actually being a fat boy. They're cheap, underpowered, and have no aftermarket support. I laugh when people do everything they can to dress it up to look like a Harley then go on about the Kool aid.

·
Super Moderator
32,496 Posts
I would call my Vulcan 1800 a lot of things, but cheap and underpowered ain't on the list. I test rode a Harley and the Vulcan back to back when I bought it. You can definitely see where Kawasaki cut corners to get the price below the Harley, but I agreed with the areas they chose to save in.

·
Registered
21,043 Posts
Riding both the 1500 and 1800 Vulcan left me feeling like I was operating an ore freighter, with the turning radius to match. The ride was nothing compared to the ride of a Fatboy, an Ultra or Street glide. Then I rode the Indian Chieftan and that was lights out.. Everything about a cruiser gets lost in translation when the Japanese get ahold of it.

·
Registered
2021 Suzuki C50 Boulevard
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This was my last cruiser, a 2007 Bonneville America , definately not a Harley clone. 😄 I loved that bike, it was light, had good power, handled great and maybe the best looking bike I ever owned!

Tire Wheel Cloud Land vehicle Plant

Tire Plant Land vehicle Fuel tank Wheel

·
Registered
21,043 Posts
Hint. Not Japanese....

Brit bikes have their own special charm and I'm glad they don't try to compete with the American cruiser market. They offer one or two odd balls, but stay true to what put them on the map. Odd sized fasteners and all.

Reactions: Ragdude

·
Registered
8 Posts
Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

my 09 50 special… the most comfortable,quiet,reliable and best looking bike I’ve ever owned or driven.In 50 years I’ve driven a lot.
Harley owns the cruiser market, they always have. Current sales show Harley with 50% of all motorcycle sales in the U.S. ( across all motorcycle categories ) all the other brands divide up the rest of the pie. For 2022 Yamaha has dropped the entire Star cruiser line up. They still have a top of the food chain, big V Twin full dress bike that they categorize as a trans Continental tourer, the pee wee 250 V Twin and the 950 Bolt have been reclassified as standards. Will the other Japanese brands follow suit? Outside of Harley, the market has been shifting towards adventure bikes and sport touring and very modern standards.
I’ve mentioned that when I bought my new C50 , in a dealership showroom that was nearly devoid of new bikes, there was my C50 shoved into a hallway, neglected and covered with dust! ( Side note: I just read a 2005 road test of a C50 and the list price then was just $150 less than what I paid for a 2021!! That blows my mind! ). When I was shopping for my bike, I considered buying a used one. There were a boatload of them, hardly
ridden , primarily offered by old Baby Boomers who have aged out of riding. I am not knocking cruisers, I had one before and I just bought a new one, but I’m also 65, maybe I am the demographic. I think a lot of younger riders are snapping up the good deals on used bikes, and that’s good, they make for reliable transportation.
A few bikes back, I bought a new 2011 Suzuki 650 V-Strom, which may be the most well rounded and competent bike I’ve ever owned. But having said all that, I deliberately chose this C50 because I wanted a well made, comfortable and dependable bike for riding around town and the occasional day trip of 300 miles or less, and for that intent, I think this bike is just about perfect. 😃
View attachment 149554

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would call my Vulcan 1800 a lot of things, but cheap and underpowered ain't on the list. I test rode a Harley and the Vulcan back to back when I bought it. You can definitely see where Kawasaki cut corners to get the price below the Harley, but I agreed with the areas they chose to save in.
I know the Vulcan came in 1500, 1600, 1700 & 2000 but never heard of a Vulcan 1800. I know that Honda had a VTX 1800 that was a beast.
I know about the Voyager 1700 & Vaquero 1700. I'd love to have that Voyager. I has everything I would want. AND $8K - $10K less than the HD.
My wife wants me to think more about the Indian Springfield. It's on the Short List but I have to save a few more Shekels for that one.

·
Super Moderator
32,496 Posts
I know the Vulcan came in 1500, 1600, 1700 & 2000 but never heard of a Vulcan 1800. I know that Honda had a VTX 1800 that was a beast.
I know about the Voyager 1700 & Vaquero 1700. I'd love to have that Voyager. I has everything I would want. AND $8K - $10K less than the HD.
My wife wants me to think more about the Indian Springfield. It's on the Short List but I have to save a few more Shekels for that one.
Yeah, that was my mistake. It's a 1700. My brain hasn't been very focused lately. It is the Voyager, and it's a great bike.

·
Registered
21,043 Posts
Face Nose Skin Lip Chin

9 out of 10 metric cruiser riders.......... Wait. Oh, I ride one too.....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts