Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While perusing the aisles tonight at the local Auto Zone, I noticed that they stock Shell Rotella-T 15w/40 in 1-gallon jugs ($7.79). Is this a good weight for me to use in my '06 C50T? The temperatures where I live range from 30 degrees in winter to 115 degrees Fahrenheit in summer.

Thanks much!

·
Registered
122 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Just did my first oil change on my 03 vol a few weeks ago. I was also unsure because of the weight, but its fine. A lot of people use it and have had good results, and its so cheap too.

When I did it I think i emptied about 400ml into another container and then dumped the rest in the engine.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Just did my first oil change on my 03 vol a few weeks ago. I was also unsure because of the weight, but its fine. A lot of people use it and have had good results, and its so cheap too.

When I did it I think i emptied about 3 or 400ml into another container and then dumped the rest in the engine.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is that viscosity "OK"?... is my key concern. Is the 15w/40 ok or should I look for 5w/40? or 10w/40?

Daryl

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
I think the synthetic is 5w/40...

Are you talking synthetic or dino oil? If you have over 3K miles go with the synthetic...

I use the synthetic in mine. No problems at all in the Alabama heat and minor bit of cold we have...

-BR

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BamaRed said:
I think the synthetic is 5w/40...

Are you talking synthetic or dino oil? If you have over 3K miles go with the synthetic...

I use the synthetic in mine. No problems at all in the Alabama heat and minor bit of cold we have...

-BR
If memory serves, the bottle said "full synthetic". I have about 1,200 miles on my bike so far and it has been serviced once (600 mile service) at the dealership, where they changed the oils and the filter as part of that service.
Daryl

·
Premium Member
14,389 Posts
The Rotella Synth is 5w40 and the Rotella dino is 15w40
I am using the synth
Walmart carries both and has both qts and gallons. If I remember correctly...... Dino is about $7/gallon and synth is about $18/gallon.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, v0lusia... that "86's" the 15w/40. I had a feeling it was too good to be true at that price! Back to Wally World once again (man I hate going there this time of year!).

Thanks to everyone else who also replied and thanks for the sound advice from all...

Best,
Daryl

·
Banned
24,655 Posts
Rotella T is only $14 last week. I use it in both bikes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Don't take any of this to serious (I'm taking this from memory) but food for thought. The Rotella 15w40 I'm thinking of is mixed for Diesel engines (over the road trucks), it has a high detergent package for suspension of diesel-soot. This may not be the best thing for our bikes.
I don' t have a viscosity chart in front of me but from memory 15w40 is like -20 to 70. This is a good range, but it doesn't take in to consider the viscosity curve. This may make a difference, especially in hot weather. I'll do more research before I say more.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Check out Rotella's web site forum for additional information. Here is the link to a post about a Goldwing that has 140,000 miles on it using nothing but Rotella T 5-40 syn.

http://www.rotella.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Motorcycle&Number=1901&page=3&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

You will find that people have many opinions on what oil is the best. I know several people that swear buy Rotella and I have not seen it cause any ill effects on their bikes. Bottom line is there are alot of people using it, but you should use what you feel comfortable with.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Check this thread out:

Edited . . . "thread is dead" I'll try to find another one for you.
Also there are quite a few threads about this very topic available on the search thing up on top.

I use Rotella. I did a ton of research before I switched and I am totally convinced that there are few oils that are better for the Vol than Rotella-T 15/w40 synthetic.

All the best,

PoleCat

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I've been a loyal user of Mobil-1 synthetic oils in all my cars and trucks for the last decade. And I've been using the Mobil-1 synthetic formulated for motorcycles with wet clutches. But it's a PITA to find.

After reading the info in the link provided above by Silverback I will be start using Shell Rotella T synthetic if it is easier to obtain.

·
Registered
422 Posts
big ed said:
I've been a loyal user of Mobil-1 synthetic oils in all my cars and trucks for the last decade. And I've been using the Mobil-1 synthetic formulated for motorcycles with wet clutches. But it's a PITA to find.

After reading the info in the link provided above by Silverback I will be start using Shell Rotella T synthetic if it is easier to obtain.
Ditto.

I am a faithful user of Mobil 1 in my family's cars (for more than 20 years).

I am also a faithful use of Rotella synthetic in my Suzuki (for the past several years now).

·
Registered
41 Posts
what he said, except that i'm only doing one oil change a year on the volusia regardless of mileage, just to see how it holds up. I know from experience mobil one is good for 20,000 between changes on my car and am now seeing how good rotella t is

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I switched. Rotella T Synthetic is stocked at Wally's, $14/gal.
Mobil1 MXT was costing me $8/qt and a 40 mile round trip to get it.

Mobil1 MXT: $32 plus gas for trip;
Rotella T Synthetic: $14 and around the corner.
Savings: $20 ($18 plus $2 gas)

·
Premium Member
23,762 Posts
big ed said:
I switched. Rotella T Synthetic is stocked at Wally's, $14/gal.
Mobil1 MXT was costing me $8/qt and a 40 mile round trip to get it.

Mobil1 MXT: $32 plus gas for trip;
Rotella T Synthetic: $14 and around the corner.
Savings: $20 ($18 plus $2 gas)
Question...how long are you going between oil changes with the synthetic?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts