Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive decided on hk3 inch straights, my question is do you have to rejet and what what happens if you dont?

Thanks ...Dave
-------------------------------------

·
Registered
5,489 Posts
Yes you do have to otherwise your engine will run too hot, and you will burn your valves and have to replace them (that would be bad).

The bikes are factory set on the edge of being too lean (presumedly for emissions). Doing anything to let more air flow through will push the bike right over the hairy edge to being too lean and at best it won't run as well and at worst see above.

I see Go Sox in your sig, I know Red Sox Nation is huge but if you're in New England, there's plenty of us around who can and will help you.

·
Administrator
29,580 Posts
You will see after putting on the pipes how necessary re-jetting is. Your bike may not run down the street. My recommendation is to do it all at once: Air cleaner (K&N replacement is simple and in my opinion,, the best.), re-jet, and new pipes. I can't recommend the dyno-jet jet kit enough. There's lots of guidance out there on the subject.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I agree with everything that has been said. You may get by for a short while without rejetting, but you may run too hot and cause engine damage. As well, your performance will diminish.

Wild Man

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Mr. Efficiency said:
You will see after putting on the pipes how necessary re-jetting is. Your bike may not run down the street. My recommendation is to do it all at once: Air cleaner (K&N replacement is simple and in my opinion,, the best.), re-jet, and new pipes. I can't recommend the dyno-jet jet kit enough. There's lots of guidance out there on the subject.
I second this! Especially the Dyno kit!!!
First of all- you won't be sorry- the bike runs SO much better!! I was debating the same thing and after having it done it was worth every penny!! It may seem to be running OK- ( as mine was ) but check under your heat shields- they are prob. already starting to blue- which in time will spread over your pipes!
The Dyno kit is designed for YOUR bike- other jet kits can work but require lots of tweaking. The Dyno kit is good to go!! ( more expensive- but if a stealer is doing it for you, you save huge in labour- ends up being cheaper than the reg. jet kits. )

·
Registered
549 Posts
I was under the impression that a re-jet is not a must if your just changing your pipes. There is a little increase in air flow but not like changing your air filter. Putting on a K&N or UNI definetely requires a re-jet.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Rejet?

Well, I see a split in the answer. If the fan runs and turns off, I am thinking it is not running too hot.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
4-1 is not a split!
It's your bike, do as you see fit.
The engine itself does not really run hotter though- thermo's work on keeping it constant. it is the actual gas coming out that is much much hotter! The fan may have to come on much more often in order to keep that constant. I noticed a BIG difference when I had mine jetted. Especially the pipes themselves ( Bluing! )
This is what I would watch for ( look under those heat shields ) If no blue- leave it alone!

·
Registered
58 Posts
rejet

By Golly you guys were right. I had the scooter re jetted this very day. I am certainly glad I did. It makes quite a bit of a difference.

·
Administrator
29,580 Posts
Yeah, they are a lotta fun when its done RIGHT! Don't shadetree this work and you will see an awesome difference in usable power on the Vol.

·
Administrator
29,580 Posts
And don't forget to do a big honkin burnout when you finish to properly set in the carb needles.

Warning: this was only a joke; Mr. Efficiency does not condone the use of burnouts. That is unless its your bike, your tires and your car we use as a stopper... Oh, and I get to do it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SSquire said:
Yes you do have to otherwise your engine will run too hot, and you will burn your valves and have to replace them (that would be bad).

The bikes are factory set on the edge of being too lean (presumedly for emissions). Doing anything to let more air flow through will push the bike right over the hairy edge to being too lean and at best it won't run as well and at worst see above.

I see Go Sox in your sig, I know Red Sox Nation is huge but if you're in New England, there's plenty of us around who can and will help you.

Thanks guys for all the input, looks like rejetting is gonna be in order come spring when i put on new pipes.

SSquire , Thanks I'll keep you in mind when the time comes.

Dave
------------------------------------

·
Registered
58 Posts
Go Sox

Dave, that's great of you to be rooting for "Our Chicago White Sox". Thanks Bud.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts