Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a full battery charge, but when I hit the starter all I get is a really rapid tik-tik-tik-tik-tik sound and there is no hint that the engine is ever going to turn over....

Anyone know this one?

Is the starter fried? Or do I have a fuse out? Or what?

I sure would appreciate some edu-ma-cation here.

~THANKS!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought weak...so I jumped it from my car and got the same thing.

Or could the battery just be totally shot?

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
It could also be a bad connection.
remove the connectors, clean them, then re-tighten them.
Also check the ground connection to the right on the rear cylinder.
You may still need to jump the battery after doing all this until it has a chance to re-charge.
Hope this helps!
-Raz

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
It may very well be the starter relay. Several VOL's had a problem with the starter relay. A lot less money than a starter.

Ride Safe,
Rex

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Whatever the condition of your battery, the starter isn't getting enough juice to spin. Bad cable or marginal connection is my guess.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Just because a battery seems good, doesn't mean anything. Put a voltmeter on the terminals (should be 12.6), and attempt to start it. If it drops below 9.5 volts or so, it's toast.

Using your car is a good thought, but if the battery has an internal short all you will do is sent power from your car battery into the bike battery, missing the starter!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
battery

I remember something about the ground wire
on the frame????????

·
Registered
7,112 Posts
RainmanX said:
Using your car is a good thought, but if the battery has an internal short all you will do is sent power from your car battery into the bike battery, missing the starter!
When substituting a battery for a test disconnect the positive lead from the bike battery so that it is removed from the circuit. Attached the jumper cable to the bike battery cable.
The ticking sound is your starter relay trying to close. The fact that it is trying tells you the circuit is complete. That is, the fuses are good. The relay doesn't have enough voltage applied to remain closed so it's 'chattering'.

Problem your discribing is usually a bad battery , loose/dirty connections, or bad starter soliniod relay.
If it was a bad starter, you wouldn't be hearing clicking noises and your battery cable would get real hot real fast when trying to start it.
My bet is your battery is bad or you have a dirty/loose connection.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You nailed it bill!

I found a corroded connector, steel brushed it and "pow" back in the saddle!
The battery was on its last legs too, so I'm sure that wasn't helping.
Sparkly clean connectors and a new battery fixed it all.

Thanks for the help everybody!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts