Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was cleaning my Suzy I recently noticed what appears to be micro-scratches/scuffing on the outer portion of the pipes. I can think of no other possible cause but the cover.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,

·
Registered
18,342 Posts
leave the cover off & see if they go away 8)

j/k. nope. i don't cover mine, she sits in the garage.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wehrd1 said:
leave the cover off & see if they go away 8)

j/k. nope. i don't cover mine, she sits in the garage.
Thanks, but unfortunately I don’t have a garage.

To their credit, they are sending me a new cover and said if it can be determined the cover is scratching the pipes they will reimburse me for any needed repair.

I’m still curious if anyone else has experienced this.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yep. Used to cover mine with a nylon/parachute type cover and noticed fine scratches appearing on the front and rear fenders, windshield and mirrors where the cover pulls tight. I keep it indoors and don't cover it now until winter storage time after a thorough cleaning. Don't put a cover on a dirty/dusty bike! The cover will act as an abrasive sliding over the dirt! There are a lot of polishes out there that will take the fine scratrches out without compromising the clearcoat and chrome. My favorite is 3M brand.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bad andy said:
Yep. Used to cover mine with a nylon/parachute type cover and noticed fine scratches appearing on the front and rear fenders, windshield and mirrors where the cover pulls tight. I keep it indoors and don't cover it now until winter storage time after a thorough cleaning. Don't put a cover on a dirty/dusty bike! The cover will act as an abrasive sliding over the dirt! There are a lot of polishes out there that will take the fine scratrches out without compromising the clearcoat and chrome. My favorite is 3M brand.
Thanks, but I’ve always been taught that polish is a no-no on chrome. Which 3M brand are you referring to please?

Also, I quickly wipe by bike down after most rides, and I’m especially cognizant of any parts making contact with the cover (including the pipes).

The cover has a heat shield sewn in, so the customer service rep was wondering if that was defective in some way resulting in an abrasive surface.

·
Registered
104 Posts
For the clearcoat I use 3M brand swirl remover. It is a fine micro polish and is safe for all clearcoats and is avilable at most any auto body supply stores. I apply it by hand and finish it with a carnuba base wax. Too many curves on a motorcycle to use a buffer. For the chrome and stainless I use Noxon brand metal polish. Never heard not to use polish on chrome. Heck I used to use 000 steel wool on my old chrome car and truck bumpers!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts