Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and Happy New Year!

Here in New Jersey and most of the US we just experienced record braking low temps. My C50 is under a cover and tucked away under a pop up garage (not heated) with a battery tender attached. I did all the right things getting her ready for storage however I did not add Stabilizer to my full tank!!!!!!! Why you ask? Because I'm an idiot, actually I was hoping for a mild winter. Duh!
So my question is, is it too late to pour in some Stabil?

·
Registered
513 Posts
It's not too late, but it's not ideal either. Putting some fuel stabilizer in now (and shaking it up as much as possible) will absorb any water that has gotten in there through condensation... Best would be to put it in and then run it for a couple of minutes if you can to pull it into the engine.

It most ways, a mild winter would require the Stabil even more than a cold one. Freezing/thawing cycles is what messes with the fuel, not so much the long term cold .

·
Administrator
29,600 Posts
Fuel stabilizer works but really is not necessary for storing a few months. In the spring a little dry gas and some seafoam or fuel injector cleaner is nice, but also ineccessary.

What I do with metal fuel tanks is I do like to make sure they are full. This can limit corrosion.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
It's not too late, but it's not ideal either. Putting some fuel stabilizer in now (and shaking it up as much as possible) will absorb any water that has gotten in there through condensation... Best would be to put it in and then run it for a couple of minutes if you can to pull it into the engine.

It most ways, a mild winter would require the Stabil even more than a cold one. Freezing/thawing cycles is what messes with the fuel, not so much the long term cold .
Stabil will not remove water as it does not mix with water and will float on top of water. If you want to remove water add an alcohol based fuel system cleaner like SeaFoam. The alcohol in SeaFoam will remove free water from fuel tank condensation when the gas/alcohol is burned the water will go out the exhaust.

·
Super Moderator
25,212 Posts
Well, it's like this, you've got two choices. You can either drain it now and refill it with gas/Stabil, or you can dump Stabil in the tank and maybe still have to drain it in the spring. Personally I'd go for the maybe choice.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I did add the Stabil and shook the bike a bit then turned it on and ran it for about 5 minutes. There was white smoke coming out of the exhaust that dissipated after 5 minutes (condensation?). Bike sounded a little rough at the start but was purring once she warmed up. We'll see come spring.:scoot:

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
I worked on mine today.

The clouds parted, the sun came out and the thermometer hit 53.

I topped her off and hit the real curvy stuff for two hours.

Forecast says I'll be out again Sunday.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Next warm day (warm is a relative term here), I'm going to start her up again & let her run for a while. I did that about 3 weeks ago. I figure it's worth it to keep everything clear from settling in the lines. Then again, it could be because I just miss the sound! :biglaugh:

·
Registered
770 Posts
Ride mine 3 or 4 times a week, long as it's not raining. 8 miles to work about 15 -20 minutes depending upon traffic and red lights. Most it sits is may be a week.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts