Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
I had a sidecar on a 1974 Motto Guzzi. Left turns aren't bad but the right I could never get used to. I had 2 50 lb weights in the sidecar when I didn't have a passenger. I saw a BMW last fall that would lean when in a turn.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
The chinese ones are cheaper ;) Last I saw....right around $5k with toolboxes, two spares, gas can and sidecar.

I want a Ural, but not for the prices I've seen em going for.

·
Super Moderator
20,451 Posts
would think riding in a side car would be alot like taking a ride at Universal Studios...only you'd be keeping your fingers crossed that car headed right at you is paying attention...

·
Administrator
29,599 Posts
I am a dedicated uralista. My first sidecar rig was a BMW R75/6 with a velorex sidecar. The/6 is the best motorycle ever built perhaps. Plain and simple, for having a sidecar rig, a dedicated ground up design is far superior. Frame, and leading link front end are critical... Very critical.

Ural conquers this. It is the only company on the world that makes a dedicated sidecar rig. So, it is a niche market.

My first ural was a 1998 tourist. i bought it for 2000 bucks and wrenched on it constantly, including 2 blown engines. Certainly the adventure that i thought buying a motorcycle milled in 1937 would have.

I sold the bike, for 2000 bucks and went and bought a brand new 2012 2WD tourist.

Frankly, I am shocked. First, I paid 12k, not 13k.

Next, the overall quality. Urals are 800 pound monsters. The chassis and chair, frame and suspension are tank-like. Unfortunately, ural has areputation, well earned, for the rest of the bike being, well, WWII relic bad.

Well, no more.
The iffy suspension has been replaced with Sachs shocks
The iffy brakes have been replaced with brembo floating calipers in the front, 2014 s are disk all over
The iffy motor is not iffy anymore, replaced by a very nice mill, now EFI. I have twin kehin carbs, they are synced perfectly. The bike actually runs like my old BMW airheads. Smooth and steady. Youre not going anywhere in a hurry but you are going to get there

They are replacing my chair wheel hub under warranty, looks like an assembly at the store. Does not overall affect the bike, but it ground a 32 off the hub.

i have 2000 miles on the bike and it has performed flawlessly. I was really really surprised.

Now, the 13k. The challenge, find a solid steel dedicated sidecar rig with:
brembo brakes
Ducati ignition
2 wheel drive
Sachs shocks
Durable powdercoat finish
Interchangeable spare tires and mounts
The alternator off the ubiquitous toyota hilux pick up, the truck the brits on top gear have been trying to destroy on purpose for 10 years.
Full tool kit, wit a shovel, and
More old school charm than any other bike, ever.

I am pleased to say that ural is doing a good job establishing itself as a boutique manufacturer. The quality has risen about 6000 percent and my new rig is downright pretty.

If you like the social aspect of riding, NO and I mean NO other bike will be noticed and talked about as much as the Ural.

It was worth every single penny.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Administrator
29,599 Posts
image.jpg

Stable pics

·
Administrator
29,599 Posts
Heres another

Attachments

·
Administrator
29,599 Posts
Did you know you live in the US's only sidecar friendly state? Ural's US efforts are based near redmond and Washington is the only state that offers a sidecar driving course, the state sponsored evergreen sidecar safety class.

·
Administrator
29,599 Posts
I can tell you, a leading link for a sidecar rig starts at about 3 grand. That's for a front end. It sounds like a lot, but its very reasonable in comparison with the cost of building a properly behaving rig.

To do it right you need:
A bike
A subrame
A chair (Cheapest will cost you 2 grand)
SOome braking
Lines and such
wiring....

You get the point, my first rig, a BMW, used a bike whose manufacturer had at least made a sidecar capable bike within the last 30 years. Still, a very expensive transformation.

I looked at a BMW done right last year, airhead, proper EML conversion, leading link, car tires, changed wheels...

8 grand... and that was with a bike made in the 70s.

I'm not even a big Ural fan :biglaugh: But the fact is, they are the only game in town. It would cost me more than 13000usd to do a proper conversion on my current BMW bike. Some other manufacturers will put a sidecar on a bike, but they are not proper installs and dont come with a leading link.

Fact of the matter, they are the only game in town. I will tell you, that the Ural I have right now is absolutely $12,000 worth of bike and it is backed with a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty (And I ride the bike as much as I can so I can break all the stuff that's going to break :biglaugh:)

But this year, I'm taking my daughter down the BRP on it. It will be the biggest attraction on the road, book it. We will spend time together and she will be comfy and enjoy every moment.

That alone is worth 12,000 to me :shades:

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Im considering adding a side car rig to my vintage Royal Enfield Bullet. Maybe this summer. The bike was offered that way as a border patrol setup for the India military in the 1950-60's.

·
Administrator
29,599 Posts
Yep, you can add a Cozy to that. The downside to the cozy is that it is a tiny sidecar. Also, the Enfield does not have a leading link which makes handling difficult.

Although it won't get there fast, I like the Ural because I could ride the bike to ALaska, with a passenger... and gear. Now, just the trip to Georgi this year will be enough,

Anyway, I do like the enfield bikes, they just look like pure fun.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Yep, you can add a Cozy to that. The downside to the cozy is that it is a tiny sidecar. Also, the Enfield does not have a leading link which makes handling difficult.

Although it won't get there fast, I like the Ural because I could ride the bike to ALaska, with a passenger... and gear. Now, just the trip to Georgi this year will be enough,

Anyway, I do like the enfield bikes, they just look like pure fun.
they are certainly a blast to ride. A smile per mile.... As a 58 year old engine, it won't do more than 65mph for very long, so I like to ride it at about 50mph. I've seen the Cozy and they offer a great looking Bullet style side car rig. The most I've ridden in one day is 225 miles with several stops.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did you know you live in the US's only sidecar friendly state? Ural's US efforts are based near redmond and Washington is the only state that offers a sidecar driving course, the state sponsored evergreen sidecar safety class.
I didn't know about the Redmond connection. I looked for a dealer and noticed the closest one being about 20 miles south of here. Washington is a great motorcycle state and it doesn't surprise me we have that driving coarse available.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I think there Priced high.
You can get a lot of bike for 15k
The $15k bikes have 2wd (two wheel drive all-terrain ready) similar to a 4wd jeep. The $12K bikes have one wheel drive all have 4 forward and one reverse Gears. In a class by itself, the 2014 Ural Patrol is the only motorcycle in the world manufactured with an on-demand sidecar drive. This street legal 2wd all-terrain ready motorcycle gives you the ability to switch between single-wheel drive and the unbelievable traction of dual-wheel drive with the flip of a lever!

·
Administrator
29,599 Posts
Actually 15k will get you a Ural completely decked out for just about anything. That would be fully equipped for just about anything, including an oar for river crossings. A 15k ural is a whole whole lotta machine. Like a hummer on steroids.

Right now, ten will get you a 1wd model. 12 or 13 will get you a nice 2wd like mine.

Prices are going up 2k next year because Ural is adding EFI, electronic ignition and disk brakes on all three wheels, along with a bunch of other changes.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

1 - 20 of 24 Posts