Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is sad. Not surprising, but sad.

The Progressive International Motorcycle Shows are all suspended for 2022.

Important Announcement
Santa Monica, Calif. (May 9, 2022)
We have news to share today with our IMS Family. After 40 years of producing The International Motorcycle Shows and IMS Outdoors, we have made the difficult decision to suspend the IMS Tour in 2022.
The powersports industry is at a crossroads with where and how brands promote their products amidst the continued manufacturing and sourcing delays associated with the pandemic. These current hurdles that our brand partners are facing would have made it difficult for us to produce an IMS that would meet your, and our, expectations. Therefore, we will not be moving forward with the planned 2022 events, including the Ultimate Builder Custom Bike Show.
Any tickets purchased or Ultimate Builder Custom Bike Show registrations paid for 2022 events will be refunded to the credit card used for purchase within the next 7 business days.

When the organizers tried to hold them all outdoors last year — so as not to be ‘super spreader’ events, and doubtless to reduce overhead — it was a pretty bad sign.

I certainly hope someone, somehow, brings back large motorcycle shows to the United States. I feel like we are too large a market not to have such shows.

Used to have a great time going to the IMS when it was held in New York City.

·
Super Moderator
32,496 Posts
I usually had a good time going there with friends, but I'd have had just as good a time of we'd have just gone riding and stopped at Dairy Queen for a Blizzard. It sucks, but I'll be fine.

·
Super Moderator
9,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For me, one of the big attractions was being able to see and throw a leg over so many different bikes, and to try on a selection of gear.

BearBait got his first good look at the then-new Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero at the IMS show in New York City, for example. He bought one the next year, and it was his all-time favorite motorcycle.

Both of the helmets I wear were purchased at the show in NYC. No shop anywhere nearby sells high-end brands like Shoei or Arai.

Reactions: Whiskey

·
Registered
2021 Suzuki C50 Boulevard
14 Posts
I attended all the shows that were held at the Phoenix location, for like four years in a row, then they abruptly stopped coming to Phoenix about 12 or 13 years ago. 🤷‍♂️ I loved the Demo days, got to ride bikes I would never own and I sure learned one thing about myself, I do not like really heavy bikes! The Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 and the big Indian Chiefs were outside of my comfort zone, at 800+ pounds they are a bear to maneuver at low speeds and they feel like they would be way to easy to drop.

·
Super Moderator
32,496 Posts
I've got a Vulcan Voyager. It's a heavy beast to get off of the stand, but as long as it's rolling, I have no problem handling it. It does take a bit to acclimate when you first start riding it though.

·
Registered
2021 Suzuki C50 Boulevard
14 Posts
I've got a Vulcan Voyager. It's a heavy beast to get off of the stand, but as long as it's rolling, I have no problem handling it. It does take a bit to acclimate when you first start riding it though.
Oh yeah, totally agree, once you’re rolling that weight turns into stability and comfort, there’s a reason that the good touring bikes are big and heavy. They are absolutely loafing at highway speeds and feel like they are on rails. It’s moving it around in the garage and parking spots that I struggle with them. By the way, I’m 65 and 5’9” with a short inseam.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts