Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has bought a K&N filter and added a Cobra fuel processor to a C50 without changing exhaust, and what performance gains could be expected?

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Hmm, kinda senseless to allow more air in w/o a means of allowing more air out, don't ya think? The stock exhaust pipe on the '05-'06 C50 is 1.25" (yes, I measured when I had the stock pipes off my bike). Throwing a ton more air down that little pipe would seem to me to only cause MORE back pressure.

Just my $.02,
Daryl

·
Premium Member
14,389 Posts
I run a stock pipes (not even drilled) and a airbox mounted K&N on my rejetted Volusia. I did notice a increase in performance. I rode with a guy that had aftermarket pipes on a C50 (no processor that I know of). He said he couldn't keep up off the line. I wasn't hitting it real hard but I wasn't babying it either. I had an extra 75-100 pounds on my bike (we were both 2up). But I bet I would do even better with aftermarket pipes.

If money is an issue I would go with the K&N and Corba, if it doesn't give you the kick you want then go for new pipes.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The reason I wonder is that in many cases people are saying that an after market exhaust doesn't need a re-jet but an intake mod certainly does. It would seem like the big horsepower difference comes from the intake and re-jet side, however I do realize a better breathing exhaust would add to the power.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
It is more about letting more air in to a lean bike. with the increased air you need to balance the fuel to match or you are running real lean. I bought a K&N and installed it. My bike ran like $hit. Took it back out till my jet kit arrived. Now it runs good. I had debaffled pipes at the time. I now have HK 3" big straights. I don't think the pipes changed the performance as much as the K&N and the rejet.

Ride Safe,
Rex

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
From some experience and what I have read and picked up from others most of the Metric bikes pick up far more from opening up the intake than aftermarket or exhaust mods. Although more noise may mean more performance I have yet to see the same percentage gains from pipes. In some cases there is actually less from a lot of straights and drag pipes.

Here is quote from an older article that may be still considered:
Exhaust pipes must be correctly tuned in terms of head pipe diameter, head pipe length, and muffler back pressure. Drag pipes are the worst. Staggered duals are generally best at low to mid rpm, and two into one pipes are generally best at higher rpm. Generally, better pipes are louder, although the loudest pipes are usually drag pipes, and these make terrible power. The stock exhaust pipes are rather restrictive, The although they are not nearly so bad as many people think. Simply drilling a 1 to 1.5 inch hole through the baffles of the stock Harley pipes makes about 93% as much horsepower as the best pipes, and more horsepower than a rather embarrassing number of after market pipes.

The last actually applies well to Metric cruisers with V-twins too. The performance shop I recently visited agreed with that older assessment and indicated to me that the biggest bang for the buck is on the intake side with, in a lot of cases, nothing required on the exhaust side at all.[/quote]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts