Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ported the intake for their 05 bike? A friend did his Yamaha and noticed a nice difference,crisper-better throttle response. His bike has a carb and was one piece. At first glance it looks like Mine may have 2 individual intakes. Just wandering if anyone has done this and what results you had?

·
Administrator
51,638 Posts
I really don't think that "Port Work" in itself adds much to performance. That is, unless the Ports are terribly out of alignment.

It's usually in conjunction with something like a "blower or increased carburetor" (size/flow cfm's) is where the actual increase is realized.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The way I understood it was that porting it makes it smoother inside to allow the air in with less restriction. Or is that considered polishing?

·
Administrator
51,638 Posts
"Porting" is basically removing restrictions i.e., casting flaws, mis-alignment, etc.

"Polishing" is actually putting a certain amount of surface finish on the ports

On the old 2 strokers, a matte (sandpaper) finish worked best on the "intake port."..... The "exhaust port" benefitted from a nearly "chrome" polished finish.

From what I've been told about modern 4 stroke engines, is that a slightly rough (sandblasted or sandpaper) finish is best on all ports.

The "MOST IMPORTANT" thing about "PORTS" is that the mating surfaces are matched (no mis-alignment) to each other and have a good mating (conjoining) surface.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for explaining this. I'll have to give this some more thought.

·
Administrator
51,638 Posts
In reality, the amount of money and trouble it would take to "Hot Rod" the C50/ Vol engines is not worth it.

It's a Cruiser, and it's meant to Lumber around or have some decent get up when needed.

If Balls to the Wall Throttle is desired, Keep your cruiser for enjoyment, and buy some kind of "Sport Bike" to satisfy Your "Need for Speed"!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree,just was thinking of getting a little more pep. I could get the porting done free so That's why I was considering doing it.I'm not lookin" to turn it into a hot rod.I'm sure if I did it I'd have to get it dyno'd and re-mapped. You never know what goes through peoples minds when its too cold to ride! LOL!

·
Administrator
51,638 Posts
stoney said:
I agree,just was thinking of getting a little more pep. I could get the porting done free so That's why I was considering doing it.I'm not lookin" to turn it into a hot rod.I'm sure if I did it I'd have to get it dyno'd and re-mapped. You never know what goes through peoples minds when its too cold to ride! LOL!
I understand! Winter projects are necessary to keep the spirit alive!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts