Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.
Just got the straight shots. Was going to have the dealer install them but they are telling me that they can't get to it for two weeks. Also telling me it is big job "2 to 2 1/2 hours". They said that they are sometimes difficult to install and they often run into problems and have to "make them fit". Has anyone installed their own pipes on a 05 C50. It is difficult and can I do it myself. One thing I'm not sure of is if I have the proper tools and such. I was looking at the header pipe connections to the jugs. I figure I would need the T-handle Allan tools to get at the bolt heads. I would really like to get these things on and get some riding time in this season. I read the instruction sheet on-line from V&H and there were a couple of parts that looked kinda wonky. It this something I should attempt or leave to the dealer?

·
Registered
14,626 Posts
Quite a few members have installed their own pipes. I'll let someone with more experience chime in here on this one. Good luck.

Cricket

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
This install is so simple! Do NOT! let the dealer do this for you.

1. Remove the old pipes and save all the screws.
2. Replace the copper gaskets that are in the holes where the pipes go into the jugs. You can get new ones from Oneida Suzuki for like 6 bucks apiece. It may not look like they are really there at first because the old ones will be covered with carbon deposits. Trust me, they are there. You can remove them easily with a flathead screwdriver. I highly recommend replacing these gaskets.
3. Attach the new pipes to the jugs using the original screws that were there when you had the stock pipes.
4. Attach the new plate for the straightshots to the back of the frame using the hardware provided. As I recall, the instructions are pretty straightforward for this. The plate will only fit one way once you line up the pipes.
5. Attach the back of the new pipes to the plate.

This mod took me about two hours. That is because I am a complete idiot. If I were mechanically competent, it would have taken about 30 minutes.

·
Banned
24,655 Posts
That stealer must think you are a sucker. No experienced mechanic would take that long to swap pipes alone. I'll bet book time is only 1 hour.
Were they also quoting time for a rejet?

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Won't have to rejet with the FI however on down the road you may want to get the power commander and really fine tune it. I'm hearing the power commander is the SH!t$, pretty dang good to have. It cost just about as much as the pipes.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It seemed quite long to me too. I'm not sure if he was thinking re-jet. I got passed to a couple of people before I got to him. I told the first girl it was fuel injected when she told me that I would need a re-jet. Don't know if it got passed on down the line. It just seemed that he was making a real big deal about the job because they were busy.

The one thing that I can't really see well in the instruction photos is this "Dog bone" that's supposed to be used to secure the muffler to the support bracket. How does that work? Is this just to allow for adjusting the position of the muffler? Maybe it will become clear once I get into it. What about special tools? Do I need the "T"-handle Allan tools to loosen and tighten the header bolts? Phloyd also recommends replacing the copper gaskets. Unfortunately, I am in Canada so ordering from Oneida Suzuki is a little more difficult. I will try to get from Stealer when I pick up pipes. If I can't can I re-use the existing? Bike is only two and a half months old. Will the old ones be that damaged?

I know I sound a little anal about this but big investment here - both the bike and the pipes. Don't want to screw it up. Phloyd's description makes it sound so easy but as with all things mechanical - figure out how long it will take and then triple it. Also, I will likely have all but the most important tool to finish the job. Just my experience.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know about the Power Commander and the Cobra FI2000. You're right. The PC costs about $400 (Canadian) and the FI2000 is about $300. I'm hoping that the bike wont sound like crap if I don't install now. I've read a bunch of different things like poor sound, poor performance, burping and farting and backfiring etc. I figure I will try without and add later if I need or if bike runs poorly. Any comments in this regard would be appreciated. I know these units definitely improve performance but are they necessary for the bike just to run right?

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
SukiRider said:
The one thing that I can't really see well in the instruction photos is this "Dog bone" that's supposed to be used to secure the muffler to the support bracket. How does that work? Is this just to allow for adjusting the position of the muffler?
The "dogbone" is the 'nut' that allows you to screw the pipe bracket to the frame bracket. It lays flat and fits inside of the pipe bracket where it mates to the frame bracket. The screw then passes through the back of the frame bracket, through the pipe bracket, and secures to the dogbone.

Maybe it will become clear once I get into it. What about special tools? Do I need the "T"-handle Allan tools to loosen and tighten the header bolts?
A standard Allen wrench will work if you use the long end instead of the short end. I used pliers to turn the wrench because you don't have much leverage when you use the wrench backwards like that.

Phloyd also recommends replacing the copper gaskets. Unfortunately, I am in Canada so ordering from Oneida Suzuki is a little more difficult. I will try to get from Stealer when I pick up pipes. If I can't can I re-use the existing? Bike is only two and a half months old. Will the old ones be that damaged?
My old one had lots of miles on them and I tried to replace without chaning them. That did not work. The old ones leaked and the bike ran like crap. I could not find replacements at the local dealers on hand. They all told me they would have to order them at a price of like 10 buck apiece and wait a week or more for them. Since I was already ordering new tires, I got the gaskets at the same time.

It won't hurt the pipes not to change the gaskets, but I don't know how the bike will run if you don't change them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
You shouldn't need the PC right away. I didn't need it when I put my Straightshots on and it ran fine without it. I put a PC on after I put the Hypercharger on. And as for installing the Straightshots if you know how to unscrew a bolt and re tighten a bolt you a more then qualified to handle the job yourself. There just exhaust pipes you won't ruin anything. Just read the instructions. And I know a lot of people say to get new gaskets, if you don't have many miles on your bike there probably just fine, I had 3000 miles on my bike when I put my pipes on and didn't use new gaskets and haven't had any problems with leaks or what not.

·
Registered
602 Posts
You most likely won't need the gaskets changed...especially since your stock pipes have never been removed.

I've had my pipes on and off so many times...no leaks at all.

Get the metric allen head sockets and a long extension...the two rear cylinder bolts will be off in no time. One of the front ones is very easy to get to and the other you will be going at it with the allen wrench.

T-handle wrenches are good if you have a lot of room to spin them. I personally think the allen sockets are WAY more versatile. You can just buy the ones you need individually...like the one for the header flange bolts.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys for all your input. There is such a wealth of knowledge here and it's great that you all are so willing to share it.

I will let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Not a problem

I put mine on the other day in just about an hour. As far as the screws go, longer ones come with the pipes. Replace the gaskets just to be sure. I cut down a 6mm allen wrench and put it in a 6mm socket. Then used the regular extention for the ones where it would fit right.
The sound is louder than you anticipate, but like your fuel injector, you will adjust.
Ride safe.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'll chime in and encourage you to install the pipes on your own as well. It really isn't very hard at all (just a little frustrating at time due to limited space). Just take your time and you'll be fine. I installed my straights by myself and it only took about 1 - 1 1/2 hours to do it. You really can't install the pipes wrong so the directions will probably make more sense as you're going along with the actual install. This is any easy mod to do on your own and isn't worth the high price that the dealer will charge.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I installed the pipes on Saturday. It took me about two good hours (including a pizza slice break). It was as straight forward as you guys said. Therefore, I also encourage anyone considering new pipes to do the install themselves. I saved myself about $210.00 and I got to bond with my bike LOL.

Thanks again for the help and encouragement.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
.... I was told 2-3 hours for install by the stealer with same " could be problems " quote.
Did it myself in 2 , at the same time - PLAYING WITH MY KIDS in the driveway!!!!!!
2-3- what a joke!!
Same about the gasket too- especially if your bike is fairly new- NOT NEEDED at all. ( Asked about the part when ordering and was told they did not think there even was one avail. as nobody ever bought one! ) LOL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts