Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Hard Krome 2.5" Stripper Straights arrived and I went to install them this afternoon. I got the stock pipes off just fine; no biggy there. I have a 2006 C50T, BTW.

Following the directions, I was to first install the mounting bracket. For the life of me, I can not see how it is supposed to line up with the stock mounting bracket location and stock holes. The holes on the mounting bracket are wider than the stock holes by the diameter of the hole itself! Aprox. 3/8" off!!! What gives???

The mounting bracket itself is angled. It has a rectangular portion that the pipes mount to then it angles and the other end of the mounting bracket is kind of triangular shaped with three holes in it. It is these holes that don't line up to the stock mounting bracket holes.

I'm also not sure how the brackets go inside the mounting sleeve on the back side of the pipe itself, but I'll deal with that when I get to it.

Any help from folks who have tackled this or similar???

Thanks,
Daryl

·
Registered
122 Posts
Daryl,
Looks like we got our C50T's about the same time. I purchased mine on 10/30. I don't have a solution to your problem, but am looking to buy some aftermarket pipes myself and would be interested in your opinion of them and the solution to your problem as well. I was looking at the 3" HD pipes.

Good luck,

John

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
HK bracket

Daryl, I have the HK strippers, (same as american straights without the billet ends) and experienced the same confusion over that bracket. My directions showed that bracket pointing down, (for lack of a better term) and in reality the bracket has to be rotated 90 degrees so that the flat part that the pipes mount to points to the rear of the bike. The entire OEM exhaust bracket must be removed from the bike and the HK bracket attaches to the two holes just below and slightly forward of the rear passenger peg mount. Don't feel bad, I called HK because I was positive they had sent the wrong bracket, after standing there scratching my head for an hour, I rotated the bracket and it was clear as a bell where it went. If you have any other problems, shoot me and e-mail and I should be able to reply with a picture.
472viper

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi gents,
I did finally figure out where it went. Only did so by randomly trying to see what two bolts would line up with any two holes on the mounting bracket. The directions were vague, at best, to say the least, but all is well.

While I'm waiting for the PC, I'm wondering if I should get the mounting bracket chromed. It is a high-gloss black powder coat and my bike is dark grey (though the frame is gloss black). May be overkill on the bling bling; can't decide...

Thanks for your replies, and rest assured that I will post pix (before/after) on the pipes, air intake, light bar and Cobra freeway bars on this forum and the suzuki-bikes dot com forum as well

Cheers,
Daryl

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, not done yet. Haven't even started yet actually. I had contacted HK for longer bolts. They were sending longer bolts, but I've not received them yet. Family and I left town for the holidays Friday morning; won't be back 'til 12/26 then I work that night. Will try to get the pipes on Monday the 26th if I get back in town with enough time to give it a go.

Will keep you posted... Merry Christmas!

Daryl

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did notice that too. I just figured that's how it was supposed to come from the factory??? Seemed strange, but "oh well..."

Daryl

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Kev, I just shot you an e-mail with picture of HK bracket mounted on my bike. I'll try and reduce it and post it to my gallery, (that usually takes ME half the day). :shock: As for exhaust gaskets, double check, there should be a copper style crush gasket, (probably all black and sooty) up in the recess where the pipe snugs up against the head. I think if you didn't have them you would have known long before now. (terrible exhaust leak)
472viper

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 9 of 9 Posts