Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Returning from the Yankee Rally, I rode through a steady downpour for six hours or so. Both the Viking saddlebags and Saddlemen tail bag allowed the contents to get damp. I hate damp especially since I was camping.

I plan to continue to use the C50 for touring and began a search for waterproof hard saddlebags. As an aside, I need to discuss a theory."M" theory states that the given cost of any product or service available in the open market escalates in cost by a factor of 20 when sold for use in Motorcycle, Matrimony. or Marine applications. Think I am kidding? Buy a boat or pay for a wedding. You already know about how the theory applies to motorcycles.

Back on point. After seeing good hard saddlebags priced from $500 to $1,500 a set, I ran across posts on adventure bike forums about using Pelican and Storm cases as saddlebags and top cases. After reading all I could find, I think I am about ready to pull the trigger on a set of Storm IM2450 cases (18"X13"X8.5" interior and 7.4 pounds) and plan to mount them using Easy Brackets. Delivered cost for two is $198 and I paid $79 a few weeks ago for the Easy Brackets.

I do not care how they look, form follows function. Mounted, they would be side loaders but with the Easy Brackets, it should be easy enough to pop them off and set them on a flat surface to load or retrieve items.

So, before I pull the trigger, any experience in the forum with these or something similar?

Thanks and good hunting
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few pics of the Pelican Storm IM2450 cases. I used Easy Brackets, added some reflecting tape and case liners from Caribou to keep the bits from falling out when the cases are opened. I needed to move the passenger pegs forward. So far, so good. Will keep everyone posted if issues develop.

Reactions: Woodswoman

·
Administrator
29,813 Posts
I am one of those ADV riders... i use aluminum panniers. The pelicans work, they are waterproof and your stuff will be dry. i cant tell you how nice it is to have dry stuff.

Reactions: Blinky

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Kayaking

I used smaller versions for kayaking, small on for cell phone, medium for first aid kit and larger (briefcase) for other supplies. Never had anything get wet or corrode from salt water! Look on eBay, some cases for under $200.

Never get wet AND they will help your bike float!:biglaugh:

·
Administrator
29,813 Posts
A picture, long distance riders all use them. Even on old beemers, we used water proof plastic pannier systems. You wont be dissapointed by pelican

Attachments

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Hi Blinky!
So sorry to hear that your return trip from the rally was a wet one. YUK! At least the rally was dry. I can't offer any advice, but in your shoes I would also do whatever I had to in order to keep everything dry! Take care & wishing you sunny rides!! :wayhappy:

·
Super Moderator
9,561 Posts
Blinky, I don't intend to overly complicate your shopping, but have you considered LeatherLyke hard bags? They don't leak, in my experience anyway, and a pair costs around 500 bucks.

·
Super Moderator
65,634 Posts
A picture, long distance riders all use them. Even on old beemers, we used water proof plastic pannier systems. You wont be dissapointed by pelican
That is by far the nicest adventure bike I've ever seen Mr E ;)
For what it's worth if I were ever to get into that genre a BMW like yours would definately be the crown jewel and you can take that to the bank. :)

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Divorce city!!!!!

I would be heading to divorce court if I had that many stickers on my bike or my car!! She has no sense of humor.:biglaugh:

·
Administrator
29,813 Posts
Pelican Storm Cases?

I would be heading to divorce court if I had that many stickers on my bike or my car!! She has no sense of humor.:biglaugh:

They can only go on the bags, its the rule... Most likely the divorce would result from you riding to all the places where I got the stickers. My wife... She knows who she married :). When we were dating I rode a bike with 230,000 miles on it and stickers from 49 states and all the canadian provinces....

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input everyone. Woodswoman, I did look at LeatherLyke and decided against them due to cost. I am just cheap, I guess.

I must be a little off because I genuinely enjoy riding in the rain for some reason; as long as the traffic is not too bad. I think I will go ahead and order the Pelican Storm cases and will post pics when they are installed.

Thanks again and good hunting

·
Super Moderator
9,561 Posts
One more alternative to consider, Blinky:

Givi E21 side cases. Under $200 for the set.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One more alternative to consider, Blinky:

Givi E21 side cases. Under $200 for the set.

During my research, I found a link on this forum where one member mounted the E21 cases with Easy Brackets and they were on my short list. The built in key lock and top loading were a plus. I could get a set for $180 delivered. What steered me away from them was the size. The Storm cases will give me 32 liters storage per bag compared to the 21 liters for the Givi. For me and the other non-Metric thinkers, that equals 1281 cubic inches compared to 1989 cubic inches. I also took a look at the complete Givi line and they start to get rather pricey the larger you go.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,561 Posts
Oh! I didn't realize the Storm cases were that big! That's a major advantage.

Alrighty, I'm done with making suggestions now. ;)

Looking forward to seeing pictures of the Storm cases mounted on your bike.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alrighty, I'm done with making suggestions now. ;)

Please keep the suggestions coming. Like any married man, I would be lost without a woman telling me what to do, when to do it, why it needs to be done, how I will be better off after I do it, and why I need to turn left NOW!!!!!:wayhappy:

All in good fun

·
Super Moderator
9,561 Posts
Please keep the suggestions coming. Like any married man, I would be lost without a woman telling me what to do, when to do it, why it needs to be done, how I will be better off after I do it, and why I need to turn left NOW!!!!!:wayhappy:

All in good fun
:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Thanks for the input everyone. Woodswoman, I did look at LeatherLyke and decided against them due to cost. I am just cheap, I guess.

I must be a little off because I genuinely enjoy riding in the rain for some reason; as long as the traffic is not too bad. I think I will go ahead and order the Pelican Storm cases and will post pics when they are installed.

Thanks again and good hunting
you know nothing about being cheap. my fix would be black plastic garbage bags when needed:wayhappy:

·
Super Moderator
9,561 Posts
Dennis, have I missed your post showing the Pelican cases mounted? I'm assuming you've got 'em installed since I see your Viking bags listed in the Swap Meet.

--Chris

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dennis, have I missed your post showing the Pelican cases mounted? I'm assuming you've got 'em installed since I see your Viking bags listed in the Swap Meet.

--Chris

Hi Chris,

I put them on last night and have not had time to take a pic or two. I ended up having to move the passenger pegs forward but other than that, it was a very straight forward install. If the rain holds off, I will get a few shots taken and posted tomorrow.

Still have the Victory and how is the Honda doing. Was it a CTX?

Good hunting
Dennis

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.