Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Suzuki Boulevard C50T
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I searched a bunch of threads here about this, but anything with useful links was 10+ years old and the links were dead, so I figured I'd start a new thread.
I've recently started going for longer rides, so installed my MS batwing windshield (no idea which model sorry as it came with the bike, but I attached a pic for reference) as riding at highway speed with the wind pounding me for 2 hours is pretty exhausting.

Unfortunately, the buffeting I'm getting from the wind is absolute torture. It feels like my head is one of those boxing speed bags and it's just getting pounded nonstop. When I get home I have neck pain for hours afterwards from the strain of trying to keep my head steady against all the buffeting. Not to mention the ache in my ears (even with ear plugs) and headache.
With my full faced helmet I can go visor down, at which point it sounds like I'm in a wind tunnel, or visor up, which is way quieter, but the wind constantly bounces around inside my helmet, pounding my temples, so neither option is great.

The top of the wind shield sits about chin height for me, but sitting higher or crouching lower makes zero difference to the buffeting. The only thing that helps is leaning WAY forward, but if I wanted to hump my gas tank I would have bought a crotch rocket.

From what I read, I need to get a set of lowers, but the links to the VA lowers that everyone referenced in those other threads here is dead. Plus I don't think we even have that store up here in Canada anyway. I don't have the tools to fabricate a set myself, like I saw several people here mention that they did, so I'd prefer to just buy something that I can attach myself. Problem is, I can't seem to find anything available up here.

If someone could send me some links to lowers that worked for them it would be greatly appreciated, even if it's links to US stores I can search that brand/model to see if it's available up here. Even better if you also have a Memphis Shades batwing.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
21,722 Posts
Memphis shades has lowers that attach to the bottom of the batwing. If the shield sits at your chin, it's to short. The top should be just below eyesite. The wind is coming over the shield and slamming right into your head. A taller shield will create a bubble behind it by sending the air over your head. MS makes many different sizes and colors to match your taste. I had to try 3 different sizes on mine till I found the right size. I had to buy one and then send back and they were good with the returns both times. Great customer service.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Memphis shades has lowers that attach to the bottom of the batwing. If the shield sits at your chin, it's to short. The top should be just below eyesite. The wind is coming over the shield and slamming right into your head. A taller shield will create a bubble behind it by sending the air over your head. MS makes many different sizes and colors to match your taste. I had to try 3 different sizes on mine till I found the right size. I had to buy one and then send back and they were good with the returns both times. Great customer service.
I was wondering about the height, which is why I was trying sitting higher and lower, but it made no difference. Where did you buy those lowers from if you don't mind me asking?

·
Super Moderator
22,655 Posts
may also want to consider swapping out the batwing for just a shield. Used a memphis shades fats with the lowers on my 04 volusia and never had any buffeting issues. Just a thought.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
may also want to consider swapping out the batwing for just a shield. Used a memphis shades fats with the lowers on my 04 volusia and never had any buffeting issues. Just a thought.
Yeah, unfortunately a new shield is probably outside my budget right now. Our B&B already lost 30k last year thanks to covid & this year is looking like zero tourism at all at this point, so that'll likely be in the range of 50k losses. May end up needing to sell the bike at this rate, just to get some extra cash to try to pay bills :(

·
Super Moderator
22,655 Posts
sorry to read about how these times have affected your business and livelihood...hope things get better soon.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Fortnine and Partzilla both carry the MS lowers, batwings, and the different windshields.
I found on my C50, the wind was coming up the tank. The lowers made a big difference. Use your hand and feel where the bulk of the wind is coming from and focus the budget on that area.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I had a Memphis Shades Batwing on My 2009 C50. Got my Brother in-law to pinstripe and paint it for me. I've got the Memphis lowers on it. A bit hard to see in the picture. They help a bit. The windshield I had on it was one I got from a friend, cut it down and drilled it to fit. There are rigid and quick release brackets to mount these fairings. I had the quick release and the tilt of the whole batwing can be adjusted. You likely want it high enough to have a largish gap around the headlight. It might look a bit better close to the headlight but more air through there will result in less buffeting. I also had lowers mounted on the forks that I made. Likely the best buffeting reduction would be from one of the taller Memphis shields that has the reverse curve at the top. I'm more of a thrifty sort so I wasn't spending money on a shield. Any windshield will create buffeting. The bat wing probably worse. I installed the same bat wing on a 1700 Roadstar. I had to make my own brackets and it worked out quite ok. The paint as it was a good match for the Yamaha! I used the same windshield and big homemade poly carbonate lowers. I still had some buffeting.

Attachments

Reactions: scorpion46

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sorry to read about how these times have affected your business and livelihood...hope things get better soon.
Thanks. I can't see things improving for this season though, unfortunately. Hopefully the govt will introduce some more support programs as the tourism industry here is on life support right now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts