Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not the sixty but the 69ci.

anyone own or ride one? of course I ask this to those that own ride a boulevard(c50)

much quicker?
more comfortable(smaller framed bike, I'm 5'8 155lbs)

I sat on the scout and it fit me perfect but $15k....no
EFI. throttle by wire. abs. aluminum frame...I like it though

just curious to know what others thought of it that rode the vl800 bikes.

·
Super Moderator
23,796 Posts
I've never ridden one myself, would love to but haven't had the chance. It's an 1130cc engine, so no doubt it would be quicker than the 800cc in the Suzuki. They're great looking bikes, and if they run anything like the Cheiftan that I did test out, the ride has got to be good on them.

If $15k is in your budget and you like the fit, I'd say go for it.

·
Registered
19,332 Posts
The Scout is night and day better than the VL800. Same weight, but substantially more HP (100 vs 44), more torque (72 vs 49), front and rear DISC brakes, ABS, traction control, much more agile, 6 speed transmission and a slew of other features that Suzuki doesn't offer on the venerable VL800.

The single downside to the bike is the fuel capacity. Polaris only have it a 3.3 gallon tank, which with it's average fuel economy of around 45 mpg, means you will only get 110 miles before your low fuel light comes on and you are into your reserve.

·
Super Moderator
23,796 Posts
The single downside to the bike is the fuel capacity. Polaris only have it a 3.3 gallon tank, which with it's average fuel economy of around 45 mpg, means you will only get 110 miles before your low fuel light comes on and you are into your reserve.

This would be the reason why I have never looked at one seriously. My KTM Duke only has a 3 gallon tank, but it gets about 60mpg if I ride it like it's stolen and can get around 75mpg if I ride it like a sane person.

·
Registered
19,332 Posts
Yeah, that's what keeps me off of one too. I love the power, love the comfort, love the handling. I just don't want to have to stop every 100 miles for gas... I found out that I have a 225 mile butt thanks to the CTX...

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
I have ridden one.
Fit me all wrong. Yes it is more powerful.
The ride angle was horrible for my bad back.
And I had a difficult time getting my boot between the peg and the shifter.
Not the right bike for me.
Guess that's why ya gotta test ride any bike you are considering.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
I know there's a lot of people out there still pissed at Polaris, but I love my Victory, and would be happy to take an Indian for a test drive.

·
Premium Member
3,627 Posts
I know there's a lot of people out there still pissed at Polaris, but I love my Victory, and would be happy to take an Indian for a test drive.
I wouldn't give money to Polaris for a new Indian, but there's a lot of good used out there. I was looking at another Vic when I found mine.

·
Registered
19,332 Posts
When I was shopping for my C50 replacement, I did a Victory test ride. The bike was great, loved the power, but I did not like the engine heat - especially at idle in traffic and I really did not care for its slow speed handling in the parking lot. It felt much heavier than it really was.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
When I was shopping for my C50 replacement, I did a Victory test ride. The bike was great, loved the power, but I did not like the engine heat - especially at idle in traffic and I really did not care for its slow speed handling in the parking lot. It felt much heavier than it really was.
Comparing the two is like apples and oranges to me.
Even though the standard weight of my Vic is only about 30 lbs heavier than a C-50, it does feel like a much heavier bike.
I think the COG might be higher.

I'm not crazy about it when doing parking lot maneuvers, but if I'm going to be riding 2 up, and on the 4 lane, there's no doubt in my mind that I'll take the Vic.
Keep in mind that AZ has a 75mph speed limit.

There are times especially on a hot day where blasts from the engine seem pretty intense in comparison, but I always equate that to being that the Vic has almost double the size of engine as the C-50.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Comparing the two is like apples and oranges to me.
Even though the standard weight of my Vic is only about 30 lbs heavier than a C-50, it does feel like a much heavier bike.
I think the COG might be higher.

I'm not crazy about it when doing parking lot maneuvers, but if I'm going to be riding 2 up, and on the 4 lane, there's no doubt in my mind that I'll take the Vic.
Keep in mind that AZ has a 75mph speed limit.

There are times especially on a hot day where blasts from the engine seem pretty intense in comparison, but I always equate that to being that the Vic has almost double the size of engine as the C-50.
you can always get heat reflecting tape. gold in color and put it under the gas tank or ontop the motor where you cant see.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
You can buy a super nice Chieftain for under $15 :biglaugh:
I picked up a Chieftain and I am loving it. Fits me like a glove much better than the Suzuki Volusia due to my size and long legs.
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
19,332 Posts
you can always get heat reflecting tape. gold in color and put it under the gas tank or ontop the motor where you cant see.
The problem with the old Vic is not with heat getting trapped under the tank, but rather the design of the jug and how it interacts with airflow. When you're moving, it isn't a problem (in most situations). But sitting in traffic is a different story, as the heat is enough to cook your inner thighs.

There are all sorts of aftermarket deflectors and such designed to help with it, should you want to look at a Vic.

The Indian shares none of these drawbacks. It is by far, the superior bike.

·
Premium Member
3,627 Posts
The Indian shares plenty of heat problems with the Victory. And the Victory was easier to solve.
I have a leather heat shield under my seat to deflect some of the heat off the jugs & reflective tape on the bottom of my seat. Still get almost first degree burns unless I'm moving 50+. Next will be replacing my header pipe with one without a cat in it & wrapping the pipes/headers in heat tape.
The bike fits me much better than the Vic did & is very well balanced. I do have risers on order, so I don't have to lock my elbows at a full lock turn.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I seen the victory makes the octane...looks like the Indian rebadged and motor remolded. safe to assume many of the same issues.
I see the used victory octanes are getting cheap.......

1 - 20 of 42 Posts