Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

Registered
Just looked at Indian's website, and build a version of the bike with the bells and whistles that I want. This is probably the first bike from both Indian and Harley that made me excited since I've started riding a couple of years ago. It has a perfect mix of modern and classic elements, it has decent technology where it matters (navigation built-in, heated grips, proper headlights), and is not overly complex where it doesn't matter as much (no e-adjustable suspension with OK clearance). It has waterproof saddlebags, engine has very healthy torque and HP at reasonable RPM from factory (no need to mess with exhaust, intake, mapping, etc.) and a I can get factory highway bars and saddlebag protectors. Oh, it has factory puddle lights option, and you bet I've added it to the website build :)

Two downsides are the weight (with accessories it is right around 900 lb wet) and color (asphalt gray). My build is right around $25,000 after tax. Considering prices on modern high"er" end motorcycles, It is definitely an investment, but you live once. Unless you absolutely hate the bike, it is very hard to outgrow something with 122 HP and 128 ft-lb, without going Supersport.

That said, I'm not buying it any time soon (no real point while I'm still in NYC), but it would definitely be on my imaginary short list if I were to shop for a new MC now.

Attachments

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #42
Just looked at Indian's website, and build a version of the bike with the bells and whistles that I want. This is probably the first bike from both Indian and Harley that made me excited since I've started riding a couple of years ago. It has a perfect mix of modern and classic elements, it has decent technology where it matters (navigation built-in, heated grips, proper headlights), and is not overly complex where it doesn't matter as much (no e-adjustable suspension with OK clearance). It has waterproof saddlebags, engine has very healthy torque and HP at reasonable RPM from factory (no need to mess with exhaust, intake, mapping, etc.) and a I can get factory highway bars and saddlebag protectors. Oh, it has factory puddle lights option, and you bet I've added it to the website build :)

Two downsides are the weight (with accessories it is right around 900 lb wet) and color (asphalt gray). My build is right around $25,000 after tax. Considering prices on modern high"er" end motorcycles, It is definitely an investment, but you live once. Unless you absolutely hate the bike, it is very hard to outgrow something with 122 HP and 128 ft-lb, without going Supersport.

That said, I'm not buying it any time soon (no real point while I'm still in NYC), but it would definitely be on my imaginary short list if I were to shop for a new MC now.
I believe the regular Challenger does not have Navigation, you have to buy the Limited to get that feature. In addition, heated grips is not offered in any of the Challenger models. The Limited basically starts at $28K.

Lastly those Hp & Tq numbers are from the crank, wheel numbers are 10-15% lower.

Administrator
If I were buying an Indian, (and I'm not), I would actually downsize from my tourer and get the Scout set up how I'd want it.

Back to basics.

Attachments

Reactions: Woodswoman

Premium Member
Navigation is a $500 flash on the base models.
FireMan, the Indians are very well balanced. The weight is not a problem......unless you have to pick it up :D

Reactions: beezer

Registered
I believe the regular Challenger does not have Navigation, you have to buy the Limited to get that feature. In addition, heated grips is not offered in any of the Challenger models. The Limited basically starts at $28K.

Lastly those Hp & Tq numbers are from the crank, wheel numbers are 10-15% lower.
Navigation and heated grips, as well as puddle light ;-) are all an available option on the base model. I didn't look very closely, but I think the only real difference between Standard, Limited and Dark Horse editions are color schema, and certain equipment that is considered optional on base model included in price.

Registered
If I were buying an Indian, (and I'm not), I would actually downsize from my tourer and get the Scout set up how I'd want it.

Back to basics.

I'm tall, with long legs, and a blonde (not really blonde). I've pushed mods on C50 to a point where I'm fairly comfortable (forward controls, Utlimate seat, backrest, heated grips and decent wind protection). I'm sure it can be done on Scout as well, but why do it all over again, when you can get a machine that is right "out of the box".
I can't see myself touring C50 - engine too small, and I still can't ride longer that a few hours without one or another part of my body starting to tell me that it is not perfectly comfortable. I've sat on quite a few big bore cruisers (none were Indian yet), and so far the most comfortable I was on Yamaha Roadliner. It doesn't have a particularly powerful engine (I think it is de-tuned for more relaxed ride), but if Yamaha still made variations of that bike (e.g. Stratoliner), I would have looked into getting one.

I like the idea of sport-tourer or Adventure bikes, but most of them are ugly, and lack a "soul" of MC riding, at least what is considered MC riding on this side of the pond. For me, MC should be reliable (piece of mind), comfortable and beautiful, and it doesn't necessarily have to be able to go off-road. I guess I need a MC equivalent of an small crossover :nerd:

Super Moderator
This review of the Challenger popped up in my YouTube feed.

Registered

Super Moderator
Yeah, Google is watching:

" Google is a 鈥楤ig Brother鈥 with capabilities beyond George Orwell鈥檚 wildest nightmares. These capabilities are all the more chilling after Google鈥檚 parent company, Alphabet Inc., cut its famous 鈥渄on鈥檛 be evil鈥 line from its code of conduct in 2015."

https://www.rt.com/usa/422753-cambridge-analytica-facebook-scandal/
Well, yes, but I don't think this proves anything. I watch a lot of motorcycle reviews on YouTube and that video was posted yesterday, so they would obviously put it in my feed. That isn't really creepy level, it's kind of expected behavior.

Registered
Well, yes, but I don't think this proves anything. I watch a lot of motorcycle reviews on YouTube and that video was posted yesterday, so they would obviously put it in my feed. That isn't really creepy level, it's kind of expected behavior.
The article quoted previously has a very apocalyptic outlook, but there is a grain of truth in it too.

Super Moderator
The article quoted previously has a very apocalyptic outlook, but there is a grain of truth in it too.
I'm with you. I don't trust any of them, but this ain't CE, so we'll leave it there.

Administrator
Hey now, I like my air-cooled twinkie. Knock on wood, my 16 RG has been rock solid.

Wow.... still solid after a while three years.... OMG. A Harley Record.

My 08 GS, which you predicted would explode in a fiery mass with its final drive launching me into space.... is now 12 years old, with close to 100,000 miles on the clock, and has never needed anything but routine maintenance :)

I do like the Indians. I do not like my cruisers covered in Tupperware. I like the scout and that badass bi motto they make

Mystery, get it? A lot of people think that鈥檚 funny.

Premium Member
Wow.... still solid after a while three years.... OMG. A Harley Record.

My 08 GS, which you predicted would explode in a fiery mass with its final drive launching me into space.... is now 12 years old, with close to 100,000 miles on the clock, and has never needed anything but routine maintenance :)

I do like the Indians. I do not like my cruisers covered in Tupperware. I like the scout and that badass bi motto they make

Mystery, get it? A lot of people think that鈥檚 funny.
Oh, what a bunch of baloney. I know guys that traded touring bikes in at the 150k mark still running well. I ran into a guy on the road with a new touring bike and commented nice ride or something like that and he said "Yeah it's brand new, I was on the road and blew my last one up. It had a 190,000 miles on it so I figured it is time."

Then of course there is this one I ran into on my way to Sturgis:

Administrator
You keep knowing guys.... but those guys ain鈥檛 you....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

41 - 56 of 56 Posts