Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Administrator
16,248 Posts
Loved my Victory also, 75k no major problems, started every time. The Victory V crash bars held up well in the accident also!

So you should get another :)

·
Registered
1,540 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I think the Challenger has a lot of Victory influence in its design.

Reality is Polaris exists to make money...when they had both brands, Indian (right off the bat) generated more revenue vs Victory. I believe they were losing money in the Victory division, so they had to choose one.

Yes they shafted Victory dealers, all of them should’ve been Indian dealers automatically with how much they invested (instead of forcing them to pay an Indian franchise fee) and they could’ve supported Vic replacement parts better.

All companies make bad decisions..I think Polaris is all in with Indian..it has the brand recognition..and I think they figured out how to reintroduce Victory DNA into the Indians...and Harley fanboys win because without Indian, we probably still be riding air cooled Twin Cams :p

·
Super Moderator
56,229 Posts
I think Victory, Indian, and especially the Challenger has a lot of Harley influence in its design. ;)

Any bike company with hardbags and a fairing should be liable to a lawsuit from Harley for copyright and patent issues. If it looks like a Harley and smells like a Harley it's a Harley :p

·
Premium Member
9,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I think Victory, Indian, and especially the Challenger has a lot of Harley influence in its design. ;)

Any bike company with hardbags and a fairing should be liable to a lawsuit from Harley for copyright and patent issues. If it looks like a Harley and smells like a Harley it's a Harley :p
Clearly, Indian copied Harley design cues and lines with the new Limiteds and Challenger. They need Harley's customer base to be successful and the Classic design (which I prefer) was starting to stall their sales.

Having said that, patents expire and do not last forever. Harley did not invent the fairing (batwing and the fixed), so the only thing that Indian has to watch out for is duplicating Harley's design cues too far that potential customers reject it. IMHO, if i wanted a Goldwing (performance) version of a Road Glide, I would just get a Harley CVO. It's too bad Indian did not come up with their own interpretation of a fixed fairing model.

·
Super Moderator
56,229 Posts
Okay, so........it can look like a Harley but it must go by a different name to be purchased by people who prefer not to own a Harley? That makes perfect sense now.

·
Administrator
16,248 Posts
If I were in the market for a Road Glide looking motorcycle.....well, I would just buy a tried and proven Road Glide, not a look alike.

·
Administrator
16,248 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving Bob

·
Premium Member
27,180 Posts
I think the Challenger has a lot of Victory influence in its design.

Reality is Polaris exists to make money...when they had both brands, Indian (right off the bat) generated more revenue vs Victory. I believe they were losing money in the Victory division, so they had to choose one.

Yes they shafted Victory dealers, all of them should’ve been Indian dealers automatically with how much they invested (instead of forcing them to pay an Indian franchise fee) and they could’ve supported Vic replacement parts better.

All companies make bad decisions..I think Polaris is all in with Indian..it has the brand recognition..and I think they figured out how to reintroduce Victory DNA into the Indians...and Harley fanboys win because without Indian, we probably still be riding air cooled Twin Cams :p
Hey now, I like my air-cooled twinkie. Knock on wood, my 16 RG has been rock solid.

·
Premium Member
27,180 Posts
I like it. More than a Road Glide? No. But I felt the same way about the Indians I have test rode. I like them, I like them a lot, but not more than my Harley. And that's a problem for Polaris. I do think they will attract the anything but a Harley crowd as well as a few that have had bad experiences with the MotorCo. Indian should be trying to attract young riders rather than attempting to pillage Harley's shrinking market IMO.

·
Super Moderator
56,229 Posts
I like it. More than a Road Glide? No. But I felt the same way about the Indians I have test rode. I like them, I like them a lot, but not more than my Harley. And that's a problem for Polaris. I do think they will attract the anything but a Harley crowd as well as a few that have had bad experiences with the MotorCo. Indian should be trying to attract young riders rather than attempting to pillage Harley's shrinking market IMO.
Hiya Ron....where ya been?

·
Super Moderator
4,278 Posts
Hiya Beez....facts for today, Frank Vincent Zappa died this day in Hollywood, Cali..... he was 52.....What a loss and a great innovator of music...Beezer's twin brother...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I went to the IMS in NYC today, saw Sean McKeever, and sat in the Challenger. Not bad..not bad..it definitely has a better fit & finish vs the Roadmaster/Chieftain line. Plastic is not as flimsy, although the floorboards are definitely too much forward for me, I’m 5' 9”, 28” inseam. What surprised me the most is that I’m a big guy and I would not need to get seat that is farther away to give me more room from the tank.

I’ll definitely be demoing it next year, but I doubt I’ll get one..too much invested in my Road Glide..Indian’s dealer network is not as large as MoCos..and there is hardly no aftermarket support.

The staff member at the booth did mention that a stage 1 will be released in 6 months for those who crave more power.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 56 Posts