Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because of the rising increase in gas prices has anyone tried to improve their bikes gas mileage, to use it as a commuter vehicle????

·
Registered
14,626 Posts
Heck, it's already an improvement over my truck!

Cricket

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
Peter69 said:
Because of the rising increase in gas prices has anyone tried to improve their bikes gas mileage, to use it as a commuter vehicle????
I took mine to Myrtle Beach and back and Never had to fuel up. Of course that was on the back of my Trialer. :wink: The truck did however cost me $237.00 in fuel while I was gone. :cry:

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Roland said:
Peter69 said:
I took mine to Myrtle Beach and back and Never had to fuel up. Of course that was on the back of my Trailer. :wink: The truck did however cost me $237.00 in fuel while I was gone. :cry:
I'm talking about down sizing the jets, smaller than they were at stock. Putting the stock air box and air filter back on.
And see how many miles you can get per gallon,.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I use it as a commuter as well, but usually only about 45 - 50 mpg. But this last weekend when I went up to the Western Rally, I got 60 mpg!!!! You get better fuel economy when you're at constant throttle as opposed to city traffic and stop and go scenarios

·
Registered
912 Posts
Peter69 said:
I'm talking about down sizing the jets, smaller than they were at stock. Putting the stock air box and air filter back on.
And see how many miles you can get per gallon.
If you put in jets smaller than stock, it probably won't run! The carb comes from the factory jetted very lean.

I don't think there is much you can do that will appreciably improve your mileage. At 45 mpg, why would you want to try?

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
Peter69 said:
Roland said:
Peter69 said:
I took mine to Myrtle Beach and back and Never had to fuel up. Of course that was on the back of my Trailer. :wink: The truck did however cost me $237.00 in fuel while I was gone. :cry:
And see how many miles you can get per gallon,.
Sorry, just trying to be funny. :oops: I'm stock (except debaffled) and got about 50mpg the one time I checked.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
richardcd said:
Peter69 said:
And see how many miles you can get per gallon.
If you put in jets smaller than stock, it probably won't run! The carb comes from the factory jetted very lean.

I don't think there is much you can do that will appreciably improve your mileage. At 45 mpg, why would you want to try?
Less air, less gas, there are two holes coming into the air box block one, I heard of people getting up to 80 miles per gallon, my bike stock got 57 miles per gallon on back rodes, and 50 miles per gallon highway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts