Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just discovered my crank and rod on rear cyl is burnt up...

02 volusia, 33k miles, straight pipes w/full heat shields, all stock, white with 1/2 the chrome blacked..

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a bottom end for the VL800 (from an 01 with 40k on it). Where are you located, shipping is gonna be quite a bit. Make me an offer on it and I will get a shipping quote.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I live in hot springs ar 71913 ...... I'll have to see how much I can borrow from my bro.. I'm unsure on the pricing I've found whole engines with from $400 + shipping and up

02 volusia, 33k miles, straight pipes w/full heat shields, all stock, white with 1/2 the chrome blacked..

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I will do it for 100 plus shipping, I just have to find out how much the shipping is going to be.
I seen you work for a motorsports store but I have to ask, is it in decent shape or just parts either way I am VERY interested.... I'm really not looking foward to doing a compleat tear dwn and rebuild but I can..

·
Registered
48 Posts
It's a parts motor, the bottom end is fine. The tensioner slipped and jacked up the valves. I didn't feel like putting it back together so I am parting it out. What I would be shipping you is the entire bottom end minus the outside cases. It hasn't been split yet, I don't have a way to crack the cases without putting a bunch of work into it. Once you split the cases, you have the crank and rods that you need.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sound good

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok after I tear her ALL the way down, and get the crank and connecting rods, besides new bearings and the gasket kit if all mechanical parts are good what else should I have to look forward to buying... I will have to reuse as much as possible.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Shouldn't need too much more than that. Make sure your gasket set comes with all the seals as well. Check the walls on your cylinder and make sure that the piston didn't score them when the rod/crank went bad. Other than that you are just looking at the labor time to put it all back together. There are some guys on here that can guide you through that better than I. Make sure you have a service manual, that thing is invaluable.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If its similar to the Harley Sportster engine then I think I've got it handled I used to tear down and rebuild Harleys back in 2004 earlier.
But yes you'll be seeing me on here asking questions and stuff the only manual I have is on my phone..... And when I get done with the rebuild I should have some extra parts for sale try to recoup a little bit of my money

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
If its similar to the Harley Sportster engine then I think I've got it handled I used to tear down and rebuild Harleys back in 2004 earlier.
But yes you'll be seeing me on here asking questions and stuff the only manual I have is on my phone..... And when I get done with the rebuild I should have some extra parts for sale try to recoup a little bit of my money

While you have the cylinders off you may want to consider a hone job and re-ring on the pistons. It may not be absolutely necessary but for consistency if you plan on keeping the bike for a while.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lol gene you are in my head ..... I was just pricing gaskets and rings....... AutoZone here has a hone their tool loan program.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thepenguinsays

Hey man I'm not able to send or open my msg's.. but my brother showed up this morning at 8 o'clock with ball joints that had to be replaced on his Dodge Ram long story short he ended up with 2 vehicles broke down today lol it might be the first of the month before I get the shipping cost yet ... sry

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thepenguinsays

Hey man I'm not able to send or open my msg's.. but my brother showed up this morning at 8 o'clock with ball joints that had to be replaced on his Dodge Ram long story short he ended up with 2 vehicles broke down today lol it might be the first of the month before I get the shipping cost yet ... sry

Ok just let me know.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks thepenguinsays ..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts