Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey good folks of the forum, I've been gone for a bit but recenly have found some time to return. About 2 years ago my wife and I became empty nesters and started tossing the idea around to down size. In May of last year we took possession of our current home and we have spent the last 9ish months redoing the main floor of our house, should have it done in the next 6-8 weeks, then I can take a short break before finishing the basement reno.
Over the last few weeks I've been playing with the idea of upgrading my 2002 Volusia, I still love my Volusia but I want something with fuel injection. I've been looking at some newer C50s, staying no newer then 2007 since my Mustang seat will fit up to an 07. The other day I was looking at a local dealer's inventory on line and saw what appears to be a nice C90T there which also has a Mustang seat on it. It's a 2009 C90T and I'm hoping to have the time to go take a peak at it later this week to see if it's as nice in person as in the pics. My knowledge of C90s is almost nil so I figured I would reach out to the members here to gain some knowledge. In my research so far I've noticed that the fuel tank on the C90 is about 2/3 the size as my Volusia, what kind of range can I realistically see from it on secondary roads running 60ish mph? I know there are lots of variables for fuel range, driving habits, hard acceleration speed and the like, I'm just trying to get in the ball park....similar distance per tank to my Volusia, 120-150 miles?
It also appears to be about 120 lbs heavier, can anybody tell me if the handling characteristics are similar to my Volusia, better, worse......
Any other info would be appreciated and welcome.
Thanks to all who can give me some advice.

·
Super Moderator
20,800 Posts
been riding c90's since 2010 having owned a 2005 and currently a 2006. Been very pleased. The earlier models has stator problems...yours being a 2009 shouldn't have such issues...as for the tank size, your somewhere in the 31/2 gallon sdize...my mpg is between 45-50 so you do the math and I find by 140 I.m looking to refuel before the light comes on...gas is stored at the bottom of the frame, not in the jugs like the c50's on the top...does give it a more balanced ride not being top heavy... have not found the power to be much to brag about but my style of riding mostly back roads 45-65, it works for me and on the highway do feel the power sufficient enough to handle ride comfortably. Nice thing about the size is while the c90 is about 100 lbs heavier than the c50, the weight is a lot friendlier than most other rides in the 1500 size range. A good site for info that may answer some questions...

Delphi Forums Login

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks DC.
I see there is no longer a thanks button......
I'm no longer worried about breaking land speed records, I'm more interested in cruising along and enjoying the ride so having all kinds of power isn't a really big concern for me. Having said that I do ride 2 up from time to time so having some extra power then would be welcome.
In June of 2018 I did an 8 day trip with some friends down to Tennessee, the Carolinas, the Virginias and touched into Georgia for a few hours, I have a DJ drive in my Volusia, the only 2 things I didn't like about my Volusia was being carbourated and riding in the mountains, it kept bogging out at altitude and the second thing is I kept getting the worst fuel mileage of the 5 of us. I was riding with a C50T, a Harley Road King, a Yamaha FJ1300 and a new Goldwing.

·
Super Moderator
20,800 Posts
remember my carbed 04 Volusia used to get inn the low 40's...surprised the gold wing did better on gas. Where you from?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm from a little town about 15-20 miles east of London, Ontario, Canada.
When I did my motorcycle trip to Tennessee we ran Interstate from Niagara Falls to Johnson City Tennessee and I was the one who always needed to stop for gas first,(I run the highest octane I can) we were also running about 80 MPH........ My brother in law was on the C50T and he consistently used less gas than I did on the interstate and when we were touring on secondary roads.
I'm not sure how long ago it was but I took my Volusia in and had the carburetor redone. I asked them to make sure the proper jets were in it while they worked on it and when I got it back they said it looked as though the carb had never been serviced or cleaned. The proper jets (stock, as I have the stock exhaust and air filter on it) were in it and the carb was nice and shiny now according to them. While I did notice that the bike ran and idled better I didn't notice any improvement in fuel economy, mind you I don't calculate my actual fuel mileage.

·
Registered
19,612 Posts
Every smaller displacement bike I have owned suffered a significant drop in fuel economy when I ran on the interstates. The worst I saw was on I26 between Spartanburg and Charleston SC, when I only got 32mpg.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Skrap.
The main thing driving me to upgrade is getting something with fuel injection, if it turns out I get a larger displacement bike that will just be a welcome bonus. My wife did say that the C90 looks really nice in the pictures........

·
Registered
19,612 Posts
You will undoubtedly see better fuel economy on the interstate with a bigger bike. My CTX gets as high as 49mpg if I take it easy. Or 40mpg if I really get on the throttle. Having 90hp on tap doesn't hurt either.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
c50 on the Interstate into the wind got me looking for something with more power. If you want to keep up with bigger bikes at 80+ mph, you need more power than the c50 offers, fuel injected or not. As far as weight goes, proper use of clutch, brakes and balance should help you use the bike to move it around and not trying to "muscle it" where you want it. Of course, backing up will require some muscles but not too bad for the difference between the c50 and c90. My bike is so heavy it has a reverse drive on it; I have used reverse twice. I pay attention to where I park and look for flat places or a slight incline to make backing the bike up easier.
Good luck with the decision. I am sure you would enjoy a c90, especially on the freeways.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Jim. Most of my riding is on secondary roads cruising at 55-60 mph. When we did our Tennessee trip we ran the interstates there and back to maximize our time in Tennessee and surrounding area to the south and east.
My wife enjoys going for rides and day trips on my bike so if I end up with the C90 I'm sure I will appreciate the extra power while riding 2 up with her.
I'm hoping to be able to go look at it on Wednesday, it's almost an hour away so I figure I need at least 3 hours for the adventure.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Hey good folks of the forum, I've been gone for a bit but recenly have found some time to return. About 2 years ago my wife and I became empty nesters and started tossing the idea around to down size. In May of last year we took possession of our current home and we have spent the last 9ish months redoing the main floor of our house, should have it done in the next 6-8 weeks, then I can take a short break before finishing the basement reno.
Over the last few weeks I've been playing with the idea of upgrading my 2002 Volusia, I still love my Volusia but I want something with fuel injection. I've been looking at some newer C50s, staying no newer then 2007 since my Mustang seat will fit up to an 07. The other day I was looking at a local dealer's inventory on line and saw what appears to be a nice C90T there which also has a Mustang seat on it. It's a 2009 C90T and I'm hoping to have the time to go take a peak at it later this week to see if it's as nice in person as in the pics. My knowledge of C90s is almost nil so I figured I would reach out to the members here to gain some knowledge. In my research so far I've noticed that the fuel tank on the C90 is about 2/3 the size as my Volusia, what kind of range can I realistically see from it on secondary roads running 60ish mph? I know there are lots of variables for fuel range, driving habits, hard acceleration speed and the like, I'm just trying to get in the ball park....similar distance per tank to my Volusia, 120-150 miles?
It also appears to be about 120 lbs heavier, can anybody tell me if the handling characteristics are similar to my Volusia, better, worse......
Any other info would be appreciated and welcome.
Thanks to all who can give me some advice.
Make sure to follow the link DC gave you, it's the best source of collective knowledge about the VL1500/C-90 on the internet.

My wife has a C-50 and I have the C-90 I've ridden both and can honestly say the C-90 is very similar to the C-50 but the C-90 is better at everything.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Crash.
On Wednesday I went and looked at it, started it and listened to it run. As I was talking to the salesman about it another salesman came up and sheepishly told us that he just took a deposit on it and the bike is sold.
I guess that will teach me to procrastinate....probably not.
I'll keep looking around. I'm not in the position where I have to get another bike, I just want to, so I can be patient about it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks DC, that's exactly the attitude I'm taking on this. That C90 wasn't the bike I was supposed to buy. My next ride is out there I just haven't found it yet but I will at some point. As I said to Crashtestdummy, I don't have to replace my current bike, I would like to. That puts me in a position to be patient and keep looking, if I ride my Volusia this coming season while I search for my next bike I'm ok with that. My awesome wife might get tired of my whining but........

·
Administrator
16,333 Posts
For sh!ts and giggles try out a used Victory Cross Country. So comfortable for both you, and your wife, and a 6 gallon tank.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Thanks Crash.
On Wednesday I went and looked at it, started it and listened to it run. As I was talking to the salesman about it another salesman came up and sheepishly told us that he just took a deposit on it and the bike is sold.
I guess that will teach me to procrastinate....probably not.
I'll keep looking around. I'm not in the position where I have to get another bike, I just want to, so I can be patient about it.
One of the best things about the C90 is the low cost of ownership, It's really a hidden gem that many don't know about. Like any motorcycle it has a couple of issues from the manufacturer that need to be addressed but the cost is minor and the repairs are simple. For example many people think there's a big issue with the electrical system which isn't true, it takes less than about $20 in materials and an hours time to correct the electrical system, if you want to make it bulletproof that requires an extra $150 to replace the factory regulator rectifier with a compufire 55402 aftermarket unit, there is a lot of information about it called mod 3 that makes the electrical system bulletproof.

Lots of good info to be found over on the Delphi site so don't be a stranger over there, stop by look around and learn more about the bike from those that know it best.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks crashtestdummy and Captain. I just looked at some Victory Cross Country on line and they are selling for over double what I hope to spend. My goal is to buy my next bike out right and not go into debt for it. I don’t want bike and truck payments at the same time.....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts