Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
21 - 40 of 90 Posts

·
Super Moderator
63,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I added dementia to the first post as well. That can be very trying! Here's this beautiful woman with an incredible mind that can only take one instruction at a time or she gets confused. I'm trying to be more patient but I'm not praying for it because I know better.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
You might know that I'm going through something similar with my father. I don't have any great words of wisdom. Just know that you're not alone, brother. In either your situation or your feelings. Hang in there.

·
Super Moderator
63,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
You might know that I'm going through something similar with my father. I don't have any great words of wisdom. Just know that you're not alone, brother. In either your situation or your feelings. Hang in there.
Yes I read about your dilemma and feel for you. I saw where your father went to a nursing home whereas Mom is at home with nurses coming.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Oh Bob! Beez, your on my list and your mom and Belinda. Love ya man! Your a strong soul and a loving son. Please give everyone a hug from us!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Hang in there. You're certainly not alone in dealing with aging parents.

Reactions: duglaura

·
Registered
56 Posts
It comes to us all eventually, my dad had a stroke, still sharp mentally, he never recovered physically.
Mom was fine physically, but dementia and Alzheimer's got to her, by the end, she didn't know which son she was talking with. Another ten or so years, I'll be seeing which direction I'll be going.....

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
I added dementia to the first post as well. That can be very trying! Here's this beautiful woman with an incredible mind that can only take one instruction at a time or she gets confused. I'm trying to be more patient but I'm not praying for it because I know better.
Beez I know how tough this is. I went through it as a child, with my great grandmother. Then with my grandmother, when I was a young adult. With my father, when I was in my early 40s. With my aunt, my mothers sister, within the last year. And now I'm staring down the inevitable with my mother, and her husband, both in their 90s. The only advice I can give you is. Let the professional caregivers, (hospice), do as much as possible for her and for you. Protect your own life and relationships, as much as possible, from the stress and anxiety this creates. It can destroy your life, if you let it. Hang in there buddy let me know if I can help.

·
Super Moderator
63,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Oh Bob! Beez, your on my list and your mom and Belinda. Love ya man! Your a strong soul and a loving son. Please give everyone a hug from us!
Thank you Carl, that was a very nice compliment. Hope you're enjoying Italy.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Hi Bob, Praying for you to continue to have the strength to help your mom and for the Lord to provide some relief to you and her soon. Our parents care for us when we are young and helpless and I believe it is our responsibility as adults to show that same care and compassion to them when they need it. Thinking about you buddy!!

Reactions: Jmbrad and beezer

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
So sorry to hear of your situation. I don't know that I can add anything clever or funny to lighten the load you and others are dealing with. Aging is relentless and challenging. Best Wishes you get the help you all need caring for aging family. We have experienced some of this as well. My daughter's mother inlaw passed away this summer. Katharine and Chris moved their wedding plans and had a Covid wedding last October. It was thought Chris's parents might not make it through the winter due to their frail health. The wedding went very well and Chris's parents were healthy enough to attend. Blessed for that.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Hi Bob, Praying for you to continue to have the strength to help your mom and for the Lord to provide some relief to you and her soon. Our parents care for us when we are young and helpless and I believe it is our responsibility as adults to show that same care and compassion to them when they need it. Thinking about you buddy!!
Very well said. I've been caring for my Dad increasingly since 2008 and a congestive heart failure diagnosis. Dozens of hospitalizations over the last decade. Fortunately he continued to drive and get his own meals, breakfast and lunch for most of the last 13 years until last year. He's done driving now, so I provide all his meals and shave and bathe him. He can still hobble around on a cane, but only leaves the house with me for doctor's appointments. I hate to admit it, but I envy people whose parents go quickly. The shock can be devastating, but their daily lives and routines are usually unaffected.

Reactions: beezer

·
Registered
408 Posts
We are so sorry to hear this Beezer. We will pray for your mom and sending you tons of (((((hugs and prayers)))). Maria and Jeff

As some of you know my 90 year old Mom fell and moved in close to 4 months ago. She was better then than now. She went into the hospital last Thursday for COPD, heart failure, anxiety, and breathing problems. She has dementia as well. She came home Tuesday. Network hospice workers came that afternoon and I signed the necessary papers for them to take control of her meds and such. Yesterday another healthcare worker came to check on her as well as oxygen, transport chair, walker, medicine pack including morphine, and other items. I forget if anyone is coming today. Tomorrow there will be 2 more coming.
Of course I had to break my leg 5 weeks ago. I wondered why it happened. They say God is in control but I questioned that at the time wondering what good could possibly come out of it. Well, now I see why. It was for me to be able to take care of her. I don't know how much longer I will be out of work and wonder if I will be forced into retirement which I'd prefer not to do. I have no siblings and when I do get back to work I have Belinda's son who lives here on board to look after her which I really hope works out. He's not ambitious at all as he's happy to make enough money for car insurance and rent. There will be medical workers coming in throughout the week as well.
I fed her this morning and gave her her meds and then she needed a bucket to bring it all back up. I told her I was going to fill the sink with bath water so she can freshen up. It's sitting there still ready but she needed to lay down for awhile to rest. She slept most all day yesterday except for a couple meals and restroom visits. She barely moved when the nurse came to meet her and check her vitals. It's pathetic.
She loves the Lord, has had a writing ministry with 153 private unpublished books as well as news letters she would share with friends. People she didn't know would call her anytime of day or night throughout the country for a word to help them through their own tough times while in the meantime she had her own.
She has been looking forward to passing so she's not a burden to anyone for years. Generally we pray for people to get better but not in this case. If you can, please pray for the Lord to take her ASAP, because it's a bad situation for all of us here at home. Thanks in advance :(

·
Super Moderator
63,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Mom's getting weaker. I don't know if it's the meds, the lack of food, or what it is but at night she can hardly stand to do her teeth. The last 2 days she slept from 8PM to 12PM. I get her up, feed her breakfast, tell her to stay up for awhile and she sleeps either in the chair or back to bed until dinner and then back to sleep after dinner.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Mom's getting weaker. I don't know if it's the meds, the lack of food, or what it is but at night she can hardly stand to do her teeth. The last 2 days she slept from 8PM to 12PM. I get her up, feed her breakfast, tell her to stay up for awhile and she sleeps either in the chair or back to bed until dinner and then back to sleep after dinner.
Dementia will make you sleep a lot. My grandfather slept about 16-18 hours a day. It's hard to watch them slowly fade.

·
Super Moderator
63,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Ok so yesterday and today are good days. She didn't need any anxiety meds for several days and today she washed herself and after almost 3 weeks I took the oxygen off her. She appears to be more alert lately.
I got her a giant print bible which arrived today and now she's enjoying it and said how beautiful it is :)

21 - 40 of 90 Posts