Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some info from people with some first hand knowledge of different headsets or in helmet bluetooth speakers. I'm really just wanting to play music from my cell via bluetooth. Don't really have a need for the mic or intercom capabilities, but if the price is right, I wouldn't pass it up. Any one got some good or bad experiences? My helmet is a modular helmet, so need something that will fit. Done some basic research, but I always appreciate first hand reviews. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
I have had a few systes, the sena 10 is by far my favorite.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I purchased and really like the Sena SMH5-FM. Is Bluetooth and has FM radio receiver. I think I paid around $100 for the set. There is setup for open and full face helmet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. I looks like it in the picture, but just wanted to confirm that the mic is detachable if you don't want it? Now about wind or noise from the unit being on the helmet?

·
Super Moderator
33,549 Posts
I've only had one, but my Scala Rider has been great. It's not high fi sound, but I can hear my music all the way up to high speeds without any real issue. I don't use the mic much, but I've occasionally called my wife and the phone feature is handy when I want it. As a suggestion, I use Tasker and turn off my ringer and notifications when the headset is connected.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
The sena speakers are plenty lound enough to be heard in triple digit speeds. I find that ear plugs help eliminate wind noise and make the music sound better. I am not sure idf the mic removes but its not in the way and is nice for taking calls.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Thanks for the input. I looks like it in the picture, but just wanted to confirm that the mic is detachable if you don't want it? Now about wind or noise from the unit being on the helmet?
I have the Sena SMH10 and the mic is flexible but not detachable. I use it on a half helmet so I just bend it up along the rim of the helmet out of my way. That wouldn't work the same on a full helmet (unit is about temple area on 1/2 helmet), but the mic is flexible so you could turn it back on the side of the helmet if you so desired.

·
Super Moderator
33,549 Posts
On the Scala Rider the mic is detachable. It comes with a boom mic and a flat mic that you can stick inside of a full face with Velcro. If you don't want a mic, just pull it off.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
We had Cardo Riders for years and they were good except that the wind kept the vox feature from every turning off. After one of them failed we tried Sena 10. Internal clicking noise and excessive wind noise sent them off to someone else. Now we have Uclear units are very happy. These have no boom mike so wind is not a factor. Pro-mikes are hidden over the eyes in the helmet pad (get these as an option, probably free if you ask). Range about 1/2 mile. Talk is excellent at road speed. Has bluetooth for phone. ipod etc but we don't use it.

·
Super Moderator
33,549 Posts
We had Cardo Riders for years and they were good except that the wind kept the vox feature from every turning off.
You can, and should, turn off the vox feature on the Cardo Scala Riders. It's annoying as all get out.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My wife and I have Seven Zero Seven Contact bluetooth in our helmets. Definitely not high quality sound but they are functional and only $80 each on sale. I listen to music at 70MPH with no problems and having the intercom when 2-up is nice.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have the Sena headsets and they are awesome. But if you just want to play music and don't want to spend the extra $$ to get intercom and etc, this is another option.

LG HBS730: LG TONE+ By LG. Unique In Shape. Ultimate In Sound | LG USA

The earbuds will fit just fine inside your helmet. I have one of these as well and I use it when mowing the yard, working out, etc.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have the Sena SMH10 and the mic is flexible but not detachable. I use it on a half helmet so I just bend it up along the rim of the helmet out of my way. That wouldn't work the same on a full helmet (unit is about temple area on 1/2 helmet), but the mic is flexible so you could turn it back on the side of the helmet if you so desired.
I have the SMH10 as well and I do the same thing. Move it up out of the way until I need it, then swing it down.

Also, I've been going 60mph down the road talking on the phone on the Sena, and the other end had no idea I was even on the bike. It's almost unbelievable how well it works.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have the Sena SMH-5 and love it. Have one in the full face that I wear and the other in the wifes 1/2 helmet. Can hear music and intercom at freeway speeds no problem. The mic for the full face is just a wire that can be unplugged and the 1/2 helmet is a boom mic that can be rotated out of the way. I think the pair if them was $200

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have Sena 5 with optional large speakers and I used to love it. The problem is that after a year the battery almost died out, it can't sustain music for more than 10 minutes. Unfortunately, the battery in Sena is not replaceble and the whole unit must be changed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.