Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
Years ago my wife me a Volusia for my birthday. (she's a keeper) I'm taller than the bike so I put John's forward controls on it and then made a kit to adapt my Suzi Case Guards with the forwards installed. Requests came in so I started selling those kits. Then someone wanted an adapter for John's kit and a Cobra bar. I secured a Cobra bar and designed a kit for those, then one for the Mapam forwards. Anyway, I eventually traded my Volusia for a 1600cc Kawi Nomad and gradually drifted away from this site. I've only sold a few of the adapter kits in the last few years and finally decided to stop altogether. It was not an easy decision. I always enjoyed helping fellow riders solve their modification puzzles.
I hope you guys can find someone to continue. I'm sure that someone else here has copied my design or declared that they have come up with a 'new' way to adapt the bars anyway.
Best of luck.
HB.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad I got mine before you shut down. Sorry your closing up shop. Good luck on future endeavors.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Thanks Ezra. I'm making jack adapters for Kawi 1500 and 1600cc Vulcans now. That market is drying up as well so I may be completely out of the adapter business fairly soon. Glad that I was able to help you and hundreds of others here on this site. Ride safe, HB

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Idaho, howya doing?
Hey Beez, I'm doing well. The Nomad is running great with 68,000 miles on the clock. My Jack Adapters are still selling. Best of all, I'm healthy and doing what I want. :wayhappy:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I noticed that you went to the "Dark Side". Glad that you are still on two wheels and getting around.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Wow, isnt that ironic, it was this site where I first went from my c50 to a vstar 1300, now a couple years later I started getting that itch again ... been looking and researching for the last year and really started to think about another bike the last few months, checked ALL the bikes out in the 16 to 1900 cc range and settled that the next bike will be a Kawi Nomad 1700.
Doubt it will be this year and I do like my bike so much, not sure if I will ever pull the trigger but if its going to be another bike one day, I know exactly what I am going for ... now the killer, there is one for sale not to far from me, killer price for an 09 ... but dont think Im ready yet ... never know ... I assume you like the KAWI ..

·
Super Moderator
57,527 Posts
Heck yeah, go get that 09 and sell yours. Tis the season. No better time to sell than now.

Not to tease you or anything BUT its got the windshield and huge backrest, dual exhaust, beautiful color coordinated hard bags, hydraulic clutch, no valve adjustments, 1600cc to say the least if not less.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I love the Nomad. It has a Mustang seat with backrest and I put a trunk on it with side marker lights. Had it repainted a deep red including the lower half of the windshield . That really shows the chrome up front. I've had several 1000 mile days on the Nomad and have the Iron Butt patch to show for it. While I was riding the Volusia my buddies made fun of me because the Suzi was too small for me. I'm only 6 feet tall but it really was a small the bike. The Nomad fits much better and gets down the road a lot easier.

You will never regret pulling the trigger on that '09 if you go for it. Good luck.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all your help over the years Bud! You made some of my customers very happy.
Hey John,

It was my pleasure. I could not stand to see my case guards standing in the corner after I put your forward controls on so my mind went into 'what if' mode and I solved the puzzle. Turned out that there were a lot of guys like me who needed that same solution.

I always felt like you and I made very good quality products for a good price. I took pride in turning out a kit that not only looked good but was strong enough to hold up under a crash. I'm sure that other guys will move in to fill the need. At least you and I showed the way.

All the best my friend. Bud

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all,

I ordered a set of John's forward controls and a Cobra bar. Has anyone stepped up to fill Bud's shoes? If not, can any one post photo's of his extenders? Maybe I can cobble something together...

Thanks!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Hi all,

I ordered a set of John's forward controls and a Cobra bar. Has anyone stepped up to fill Bud's shoes? If not, can any one post photo's of his extenders? Maybe I can cobble something together...

Thanks!
This is a pic I found of both the forwards and the adapter. The adapter is the doubled tube already between John's kit, the 2 extenders, and a bar to go between them I believe.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is a good picture of my kit. Note that I did not use pipe but rather used steel tube because it has thicker walls and is stronger. Also note that the short tube that is welded to the longer tube is separated from the longer tube by a piece of 1/4 inch square bar stock. In other words the two tube pieces are not welded directly together. That 1/4 inch piece was needed to make the kit work with the Cobra bar. The two flat bars with holes in them are made from 1/2 inch thick steel because again I wanted strength and I needed to move the upper tie point in front of the radiator to match the forward mounted lower point. You do NOT want to use the original frame bolt holes for the upper mount because it puts the Cobra bars at a bad angle and they WILL interfere with your foot access to shifter and brake pedal. I hope this helps. HB

·
Registered
3 Posts
Excellent pics, thanks for posting them. It looks like there is a tube between the upper 1/2" bars, in front of the radiator?

Mark

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, there is a tube between those pieces to hold the upper part in position. You will need a piece of althread to run through the tube to hold everything together.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Hey Bud,

Good to hear from you again! I no longer have my Volusia - moved to a V-Star 950T. If you come back to visit your relatives in Ohio, give me a shout.

Dave

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
For you Nomad owners, I've got one of Bud's jack adapters and it is well worth the investment (even though I bought mine used - well, actually it was unused - from a former Nomad owner who traded his for a HD). Sure makes working on and servicing the Nomad a lot easier and safer.

Now Bud, that endorsement has to be worth at least a beer or two in Orofino, right?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts