Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
10,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found a few threads that tell how to remove the back of the ignition for cleaning. I need to know how to remove the ignition switch so that I can take it to a locksmith to have a new key made. Looking at the microfiche, it looks like I can take the right cover off and remove two screws. Would the ignition pull out completely or would I mess it up by doing that?

·
Banned
24,655 Posts
Never done it on the 800. Taken the 90's apart many times. There are all kids of springs in there to get lost.

·
Banned
24,655 Posts
or

·
Registered
970 Posts
What happened to the original key?

I thought about relocating the ignition switch down by the engine/seat area, but have not attempted in yet.

Good luck getting her done TATE.

·
Banned
10,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What happened to the original key?

I thought about relocating the ignition switch down by the engine/seat area, but have not attempted in yet.

Good luck getting her done TATE.
Been looking for it for 2 weeks.

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
wouldn't it be easier to take the lock out of the side cover to have the key made?

aren't they the same lock???

·
Banned
10,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wouldn't it be easier to take the lock out of the side cover to have the key made?

aren't they the same lock???
The side cover only uses the first 2 "steps" of the key. To get a key that works the ignition it must be cut from the ignition.

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
you will probably need a T20 SECURITY Torx driver for those screws.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
"Told Ya So":wayhappy:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I can't remember if the helmet lock has a key code stamped on the back of it?? At least it's easy to take off and have a look, it might help?

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
Seriously, I am still finding old bike keys from my last two bikes lying around the house... :lol:

I have 5ea keys for my current bike...

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
Well if the side cover only uses two notches on the key, I wondered about the helmet lock so I took mine apart and had a look - it was on the shelf anyway....

One screw to take the back off - watch out for the little detent ball that locates the lever in the unlocked position and there is a little latch tab to push in on the back end of the cylinder. The back was a little stuck in the recess and had to jar it a bit. the ball is free floating and WILL pop out before you know it.......

I didn't lose the ball or the little screw for the back ---- WheWWWWW

the helmet lock uses 5 key notches. it has 5 wafers in the cylinder that go in opposite directions when the key is removed. There is also a 4 digit number on the back of the helmet lock - it might be the code.

So unless the ignition switch needs more than 5 notches on the key that should do it. not sure why it would need more than 5 -- that is all the pins that a wieser lock has for your house....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts