Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my lovely wife an '08 M50. Beautiful bike. Was going to buy her a custom key but I can't remember where the ignition is so I don't know whether to get a top or side loading key. Can anyone help me with either specific description or maybe even a link to a picture? Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
11,856 Posts
the ignition goes into the bike horizontally - when the ignition is turned on, the key hole itself slants forward slightly, neither vertical nor horizontal.

i think it's about a 25* slant towards the triple trees...rough estimate, without either my bike or a protractor available to check..

cheers!

-mistress k

·
Registered
100,009 Posts
mattcat1 said:
I just bought my lovely wife an '08 M50. Beautiful bike. Was going to buy her a custom key but I can't remember where the ignition is so I don't know whether to get a top or side loading key. Can anyone help me with either specific description or maybe even a link to a picture? Thanks all!
WELCOME to the VR site, new member.

Pete

·
Administrator
56,656 Posts
Top loading (vertical) switches are usually located on the handlebar mounts, headlight housing, or on the speedometer (fuel tank) console.

Occasionally, a top mounted (vertical) switch can be found near one of the side/tool box covers, i.e., as on some Royal Stars.

Side mounted (horizontal) switches can be found just about anywhere on a motorcycle.

·
Banned
10,976 Posts
Psyc0 said:
Top loading (vertical) switches are usually located on the handlebar mounts, headlight housing, or on the speedometer (fuel tank) console.

Occasionally, a top mounted (vertical) switch can be found near one of the side/tool box covers, i.e., as on some Royal Stars.

Side mounted (horizontal) switches can be found just about anywhere on a motorcycle.
I still don't understand the difference in the keys. I know the key goes into the side of the neck. But, what makes a difference in the key? The key doesn't know which way it is turned. I'm so confused.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I knew after I put that post in that my POOR choice of description would not help. The key itself is not really the issue, but it's position once inserted. I am having a custom key made for my wife's bike and the key head is replaced with a decorative pirate head. I needed to figure out if I wanted the key to exit the bottom of the head or the back...so it would look right. I think 2 posts ago I got my answer so THANK YOU ALL so much...and sorry for not phrasing my question better...good thing I like to work on things because I am a tool.

·
Banned
10,976 Posts
mattcat1 said:
I knew after I put that post in that my POOR choice of description would not help. The key itself is not really the issue, but it's position once inserted. I am having a custom key made for my wife's bike and the key head is replaced with a decorative pirate head. I needed to figure out if I wanted the key to exit the bottom of the head or the back...so it would look right. I think 2 posts ago I got my answer so THANK YOU ALL so much...and sorry for not phrasing my question better...good thing I like to work on things because I am a tool.
Aaahhh, finally enlightenment! I understand now. Nice to be on the same page. Funny that my job is selling 18 wheeler parts and I have to "translate" what the customer wants all day (i.e. that thing that connects to the other thing next to the rear differential.), and I couldn't figure out this thread. No prob, brother. Glad you got the answere you needed. Feel free to ask millions of questions here, I have done the same. You will always find someone who knows the answere. And btw, WELCOME!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.