Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my lovely wife an '08 M50. Beautiful bike. Was going to buy her a custom key but I can't remember where the ignition is so I don't know whether to get a top or side loading key. Can anyone help me with either specific description or maybe even a link to a picture? Thanks all!

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
The key is on the neck of the bike. I don't know what a top or side loading key means. Someone will come along and answer you in short time.

·
Premium Member
11,858 Posts
the ignition goes into the bike horizontally - when the ignition is turned on, the key hole itself slants forward slightly, neither vertical nor horizontal.

i think it's about a 25* slant towards the triple trees...rough estimate, without either my bike or a protractor available to check..

cheers!

-mistress k

·
Premium Member
11,858 Posts
Paul... said:
Remember he's talking M50, not C50.

Paul...

looks exactly the same to me - key in photo would be in the "off" position, straight up and down.

cheers!

-mistress k

·
Registered
99,999 Posts
mattcat1 said:
I just bought my lovely wife an '08 M50. Beautiful bike. Was going to buy her a custom key but I can't remember where the ignition is so I don't know whether to get a top or side loading key. Can anyone help me with either specific description or maybe even a link to a picture? Thanks all!
WELCOME to the VR site, new member.

Pete

·
Banned
10,976 Posts
Ok, what is a top or side load key. I have 2005 "M" and it's a double cut (on both sides) key. What does top or side mean?

·
Administrator
53,878 Posts
Top loading (vertical) switches are usually located on the handlebar mounts, headlight housing, or on the speedometer (fuel tank) console.

Occasionally, a top mounted (vertical) switch can be found near one of the side/tool box covers, i.e., as on some Royal Stars.

Side mounted (horizontal) switches can be found just about anywhere on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
It's a side load...

·
Banned
10,976 Posts
Psyc0 said:
Top loading (vertical) switches are usually located on the handlebar mounts, headlight housing, or on the speedometer (fuel tank) console.

Occasionally, a top mounted (vertical) switch can be found near one of the side/tool box covers, i.e., as on some Royal Stars.

Side mounted (horizontal) switches can be found just about anywhere on a motorcycle.
I still don't understand the difference in the keys. I know the key goes into the side of the neck. But, what makes a difference in the key? The key doesn't know which way it is turned. I'm so confused.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I knew after I put that post in that my POOR choice of description would not help. The key itself is not really the issue, but it's position once inserted. I am having a custom key made for my wife's bike and the key head is replaced with a decorative pirate head. I needed to figure out if I wanted the key to exit the bottom of the head or the back...so it would look right. I think 2 posts ago I got my answer so THANK YOU ALL so much...and sorry for not phrasing my question better...good thing I like to work on things because I am a tool.

·
Banned
10,976 Posts
mattcat1 said:
I knew after I put that post in that my POOR choice of description would not help. The key itself is not really the issue, but it's position once inserted. I am having a custom key made for my wife's bike and the key head is replaced with a decorative pirate head. I needed to figure out if I wanted the key to exit the bottom of the head or the back...so it would look right. I think 2 posts ago I got my answer so THANK YOU ALL so much...and sorry for not phrasing my question better...good thing I like to work on things because I am a tool.
Aaahhh, finally enlightenment! I understand now. Nice to be on the same page. Funny that my job is selling 18 wheeler parts and I have to "translate" what the customer wants all day (i.e. that thing that connects to the other thing next to the rear differential.), and I couldn't figure out this thread. No prob, brother. Glad you got the answere you needed. Feel free to ask millions of questions here, I have done the same. You will always find someone who knows the answere. And btw, WELCOME!

·
Banned
10,976 Posts
Bring em' on. The people here are brilliant. Alot of people here have different bikes as well. You will be surprised at the amount of information here regardless of make/model.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Welcome from Western Pennsylvania!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts