Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a used C50T less than 7k miles on a 2006. Wanted to ride tonight ,but had trouble with ignition switch. When I did get it to the on position I could not get any indication of power ( no indicator lights). I could get the handle bars unlocked. Tried going through the gears. In the old days I used to be able to start a moving bike by popping the clutch in 2nd gear. With the clutch depressed I couldn't get any forward motion regardless of what gear I thought I was in. Seemed like gears were locked. Couldn't find neutral. I locked and unlocked the forks. I raised the kick stand. Nothing...dead, dead, dead. Took the battery to get tested. Replaced the battery. I might have a short somewhere. After hooking up the new battery I had the same results, nothing. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
33,528 Posts
Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

It really sounds like you're ignition switch might be busted. Shifting gears with the bike off is virtually impossible, you need to rock the bike to get it to shift, and even then it won't usually go more than a gear or two. Not being able to get it to move with the clutch pulled is curious though. Hang out a bit and see what others think.

Reactions: Spikester

·
Registered
21,201 Posts
$10 says you bumped your kill switch and didn't notice.

Also, the fork lock does not have an Interlock switch on it. The bike will start with the forks locked. Stupid oversight on Suzuki.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
$10 says you bumped your kill switch and didn't notice.

Also, the fork lock does not have an Interlock switch on it. The bike will start with the forks locked. Stupid oversight on Suzuki.
Would gladly have given more than $10 for it to be the kill switch. Put the new battery back in and still nothing. I did find a blown fuse in the relay next to the battery. I replaced the fuses, but don’t have a warm fuzzy about that relay. That ignition switch is bothering me. I believe there was a recall on them. It boils down having to get it laid up in a shop for a month. Meanwhile, I managed to push the bike from being locked up. It takes effort, but I can move the bike with the clutch engaged or disengaged as it might be.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Would gladly have given more than $10 for it to be the kill switch. Put the new battery back in and still nothing. I did find a blown fuse in the relay next to the battery. I replaced the fuses, but don’t have a warm fuzzy about that relay. That ignition switch is bothering me. I believe there was a recall on them. It boils down having to get it laid up in a shop for a month. Meanwhile, I managed to push the bike from being locked up. It takes effort, but I can move the bike with the clutch engaged or disengaged as it might be.
When you say "Locked Up" do you mean the engine was locked up/frozen/seized(?) If so That's a really bad thing to have. Older bikes with very low mileage is rarely the good deal they seem to be. (IMO)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When you say "Locked Up" do you mean the engine was locked up/frozen/seized(?) If so That's a really bad thing to have. Older bikes with very low mileage is rarely the good deal they seem to be. (IMO)
I did manage to get some forward movement after rocking back and forth. So I can push the bike with the clutch engaged. Still can’t find neutral and still no power. The local shop is going to pick it up Tuesday. From all my reading and conversations I would lay odds that a new switch would make life better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts