Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just when I got everything squared away with the course, insurance, semi comfortable riding and finally able to get out for a nice ride..and then.s??t happens.

I went for an nice ride on Saturday, started out visiting a friend about half an hour away, then headed north to port perry. Was gonna stop there and have a coffee, when I see threatening clouds moving in. Thought better keep moving and headed back south away from it towards Oshawa.

Since I am still not comfortable in the city traffic I decided to take one of the country roads around it. A good road with one s- turn nothing too serious I thought.

Slowed down completely for it, probably too slow, went through the first turn, straightened out ready for the second and leaned a little too far...then away went the back end.

Floorboard touched down and she got away from me. I went down hard on my shoulder,breaking my collarbone in 3 places. I now realize even more, there is very little give in asphalt:wayhappy:

Bike was fine, just a bent screw in the handlebar weight.

So I will be enjoying your rides from here for a while until I can get back in the saddle.

Keep the happy rides going and "do as I say,not as I do". Keep the rubber side down.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Dang man sorry to hear that. I know how excited you were to get it all ready to go. Glad to hear it was not worse. You'll be back in the saddle in short order.

·
Super Moderator
23,742 Posts
Sorry to hear that. If it makes you feel any better that's the most common motorcycle accident, so you're far from alone. I did almost the exact same thing a month after buying my first bike. My stupid self bought another one as soon as the insurance check cleared and I couldn't be happier. See, stupidity is bliss. :wayhappy:

Heal fast bro.

·
Premium Member
6,392 Posts
Sorry to hear of your mishap!

I was out riding on Saturday too, and can relate to the storm clouds rolling in! I was caught in a short downpour while heading home on the 401, but rode thru it pretty fast. Worst was yet to come as I turned into my subdivision. Sky opened up again, but thankfully for the "garage door opener" on the bike, I hit it, got the door open as I came down the street, and shot right into the garage.

Rain SUCKS

You'll be back in the saddle in no time!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Amazing to break a collarbone that way - did you have any armor or energy absorbing material? I slammed a shoulder hard once and the CE rated foam armor kept me from realizing it right away, but I'd have noticed if my collarbone cracked! I'm very curious about how much force it took to do that.

Otherwise, really a shame. My sympathies. It really is bad. I spent most of 2014 off my bike. Not a bike wreck, a car wreck.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Amazing to break a collarbone that way
If memory serves me right, it is actually the easiest bone to break in the body with only something like 5-7 pound of pressure to do so. A stretched out arm hitting the ground would create a lot of leverage at that point as well and transfer it right through that bone.

·
Registered
19,329 Posts
I'm sorry to read this. Heal quickly.

Statistics show that new riders have the greatest likelyhood of suffering a crash on a motorcycle. Unfortunately, the only way to gain experience on a bike is to ride it.

·
Super Moderator
23,742 Posts
Amazing to break a collarbone that way - did you have any armor or energy absorbing material? I slammed a shoulder hard once and the CE rated foam armor kept me from realizing it right away, but I'd have noticed if my collarbone cracked! I'm very curious about how much force it took to do that.

Otherwise, really a shame. My sympathies. It really is bad. I spent most of 2014 off my bike. Not a bike wreck, a car wreck.
When I went down it tore my rotator cuff. Remember that when you shoulder hits the ground there isn't just force in, but also back since you've got forward momentum at the point of impact. That kind of force does all kinds of damage to your shoulder.

Also, as previously noted, the collar bone isn't all that hard to break. I won't say it's the easiest, I think that fame goes to the toes and fingers, but it doesn't take a lot. When I was a kid it was the most common broken bone in sports.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks all. Hopefully this heals quick, but I'm thinking it may take a while. Have to see the fracture clinic on Friday to determine if surgery is required to pin it.
I would like to be ready for the show and shine in Oshawa on August 8th!

Cheers

·
Registered
988 Posts
I was caging it in the "Shwa" last Saturday and man did it come down!

I am glad you are relatively OK. It could have been worse!

I am sure you will be back in the saddle soon! Get well quick.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Bummer! Did you decelerate during the curve? Welcome to the statistics..unfortunately. I hope you heal quickly. Plates and screws will probably have you back in action faster but costs more. I'm sure you and your doctors will get that all sorted out, oh and your "insurance." Good luck and hope you are back on the road as soon as is good for you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Healing up fine so far but having a hard time looking at the bike in the garage not moving...did that all winter:bigoops: hoping to be back in the saddle end of next month.

I did notice that the floorboard mount did bend up a little when it went down. I stood on it and it went down a bit. Would that be the weld where it mounts to the frame? I can see the paint chipped right on the weld but doesn't appear to be a crack. Do the mounting bolts thread into the frame or is there a nut welded to the frame?

Your experienced input alway appreciated:wayhappy:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts