Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Volusia, 805cc..i believe by the sound that the idle is not correct (almost on verge of stalling)..the manual says it should be set between 1000 to 1200 rpms
My problem is that I dont know how to hook up the tachometer.!
Any instructions/suggestions are appreciated..thx in advance. [/list]

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Pick up an electronic bike tach like the $60 ones on ebay then follow installation instructions. The 2003 won't require an adapter like the C50s do.

·
Premium Member
11,856 Posts
i re-set my idle by ear...took about 5mins of tweaking the first time, then another 5 seconds to tune it down just a little more...had the tank off anyway the first time, didn't have to remove it the second time...i'm pretty sure i'm within about 50rpm of where it should be..

good luck - cheers!

-mistress k

·
Registered
99,999 Posts
WELCOME from Texas.

Pete

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for the tips and info.
I have tweeked the throttle stop screw and that has helped a lot.
Might hold off on buying electronic bike tach for a bit (no $)
Nice to receive a welcome Pete..back at yuh

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
PC 365 said:
Thanks everyone for the tips and info.
I have tweeked the throttle stop screw and that has helped a lot.
Might hold off on buying electronic bike tach for a bit (no $)
Nice to receive a welcome Pete..back at yuh
If you have a buddy that has a Volusia or a C50,you could listen to the rpm on that bike(providing that one is set to (1000 to 1100 rpm).. :wink:

·
Registered
7,112 Posts
Adjust by ear....you'll know when it sounds right. Idle doesn't have to be dead on. A little high or low will not harm the bike. If you go for that low idle "Harley' sound be aware you might want to twist the throttle a little at long stop lights to keep sufficent oil pumping to the valves and camshaft. This engine was designed to idle at low rpm for long.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts