Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so far I love the sound of my debaffled pipes, but I think I need more. However I don't want to offend my neighbors as I live in a nice neighborhood and would not want to move, or sell my horse. On a scale of 1 to 10, how much louder are the stock pipes from being de-baffled to being de-mickeyed. Any help would be great, and if I go trough with it, how many blows with an aluminum bat before I break those mickeys? I don't want to spend all day on this, but I don't want to bend or crease my pipes either.

Thank you,

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
If stock pipes are a 1, the debaffled are about a 3, then demickeyed may be a 4, 5 if you jump on the throttle. Not too much of a difference.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Remember when you debaffle your pipes you void the warranty. I have Vance & Hines straight shots. I live in a nice community with good neighbors. I do my best not to disturb them and they understand that I ride a bike.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Total time to remove mickey plates: 20 minutes
Total volume increase over debaffled: 10 - 20%
Sound difference between debaffled & demickey'd: Priceless!

Demickey'd pipes give a definite lower tone without a great big volume increase.

CLICK HERE FOR THE VIDEO = De-Mickey Video

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chaplain said:
Remember when you debaffle your pipes you void the warranty. I have Vance & Hines straight shots. I live in a nice community with good neighbors. I do my best not to disturb them and they understand that I ride a bike.
Warranty? Warranty??? What's that?

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Some folks buy an extension for the hole saw and drill it, some drill a bunch of small holes around the perimeter of the plate to remove it. More tedious but less violent.

But here's how I removed mickey and the last plate. (pics and drawing in gallery)

I took an old T-Ball bat, inserted the fat end into the pipe, beat the bat into the plate with a sledge hammer until the mickey plate bent in. Finished it off by breaking the 3 spot welds with a pry bar and punch. Fished it out with a coat hanger.

If removing the last plate is desired, repeat method above.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I commited a crime!

I killed Mickey, it was a little more work than Big Ed described but I killed it. The sound is deeper, kinda miss that hint of metallic sound though, but I still like it very much. I don't think is going to bother my neighbors any more than before. Life is good!

·
Registered
705 Posts
I used an extension and a hole saw (2.5"), way better than using a base ball bat. Total time. 5 minutes for both pipes.

Sound noise difference - I would say that if 5 is your stock muffler, with 10 being double the sound, as we would guess twice as loud to be, that the drilled rear plate (8 holes) was a 8, that removing the rear plate was a 9 or 10 easily, debaffling it put it back to about a 7. If you crank on it, it is definitely louder. A lot louder, but if you start off slow and sane-like, no one will care. It's not that much different. But as soon as you go past about quarter throttle and hit the main jets, major improvement in noise, both volume and sound quality.

I was very leery of doing it, but I am now with most of the other people that it isn't that much louder at idle, and it sounds way-yyy throatier. Good honest sound.

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
Chaplain said:
Only the warranty on the pipes themselves. The sound is lower, but does not have that top end metallic sound....you'll grow to love it. Take out that third baffle and it's a whole new game, however.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I killed Mickey...or should I say sort of. Mickey broke loose and I got it out no problem on the upper pipe. But on the lower pipe, it got jammed further back in the pipe, about 2 inches from the third plate. I could not get it out as it was jammed in tight. I finally sharpened a piece of re-barb and punched 4 or 5 holes thru it and the third plate. The I punched holes in the third plate of the upper pipe to match. That worked fine but I've subsequently installed Cobra Street Rod pipes which definitely puts the sound into a whole different realm. Much louder and deeper, and that's with the baffles left in!

·
Registered
705 Posts
big ed said:
volusiaguy said:
Take out that third baffle and it's a whole new game, however.
Please explain...
I think what he is referring to is that with the third plate out you are now running straight pipes. Truly straight pipes. And that's just loud. I had an old Kawasaki 750 twin that, um, had the baffles fall out, honestly, I was just driving down the road and I heard a clunk. There it was. So I took it home, because I don't litter, and had to take the other one out to balance it out. The first one had just rusted away. It was a 79.

But MAN! was that loud! And not a good loud either, just BRATTTTT !!!

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I've got a C50, debaffled, demickeyed and third plate removed. I was nervous about doing it since my bike was a new one. I ended up doing it in steps over a few months.

Drilled 1/8'' holes in the end plate, a little later 3/8'' then 1/2". Finally got the nerve to debaffle with the twin hole saws. Nice but not enough. Next day demickeyed and 1/2" holes drilled in the last plate. I finally took the plunge and took out that last plate. THAT was the sound I was going for. Not too loud unless I really get on it and a deep throaty rumble. Not raspy at all. Ooo!

I did not make any adjustments to fuel or air on my C50. Changed my plugs after 2000 miles running with empty pipes and they were a nice tan color. Perfect!

Gets lots of attention. Don't do this if you are timid and don't like folks coming up to you saying how good your bike sounds.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
big ed said:
Did you get that sick feeling that it might never come out? :twisted:
Now that you mention it.

I hatched all sorts of plots to assassinate Mikey. Went after him with rebar, gas pipe, pry bar, cold chisel -- you name it. I thought the five pound sledge hammer would do the trick, but it was impotent.

I had maimed him, but finally decided to let him live. So he's still there, mangled and twisted. In the end, Mikey and I came to an agreement. If I leave things alone, he'll forget it ever happened. I do one more blow and he'll bend the cr-p out of my pipes.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
If the three tack welds are broken and he is just stuck in there then the trick is to get him turned just right and he will slide out with a coat hanger.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts