Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
10,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a Skid Lid from BikeBandit.com on the 19th. It was on a Saturday. The site said that it usually ships in 24 hours. I figured that it would ship out that Monday. It didn't. I thought, it would ship Tuesday because maybe they start the 24 hours on Monday. It didn't. Finally shipped out Wednesday via Fed Ex (doh). I get horrible service from Fed Ex. Finally it shows out for delivery today (10 days later). Guess what? No helmet. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas that keeps getting delayed. Oh well, maybe tomorrow. Just my impatient rant of the day.

·
Registered
679 Posts
It really really really :)punch:) ticks me off when a site doesn't ship when then say it will. Higher on the list though is when they won't answer your emails when they are late shipping :violent: If there is a issue, just tell me about it.
An online store only gets one chance with me. There are too many others out there that want my business to put up with that.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Question about the Skid Lid , a guy i work with has one with the quick release snap on it , i only see it hanging on his bike dont want to try it on while he aint looking, haha . From what ive heard others say its not that comfortable , do many of you have one and how well does it fit ? Im currently using a Outlaw brand but like the look of the Skid lid.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I actually just got my Skid Lid last week. I was as anxious as you, waiting for it to arrive. Once it did, I was a little disappointed. It does not fit as close, or low profile, as I had hoped. Not uncomfortable, but mushroom head for sure.

·
Banned
10,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wylie said:
I actually just got my Skid Lid last week. I was as anxious as you, waiting for it to arrive. Once it did, I was a little disappointed. It does not fit as close, or low profile, as I had hoped. Not uncomfortable, but mushroom head for sure.
Thanks for the heads up. I was wondering about that. I'll probably be returning it and going non dot. I only bought it for riding about 10 miles to bike night. I usually wear a full face.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
skid lid? why not just ride with nothing? same thing isnt it?

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Skid Lids are a little strange to fit...
I had better luck finding one to fit when bought locally.

Large seems to work for me,

·
Banned
10,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jimKo said:
Skid Lids are a little strange to fit...
I had better luck finding one to fit when bought locally.

Large seems to work for me,
Have you tried one on?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts

·
Banned
10,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LkwdC50B said:
aVOL2 said:
skid lid? why not just ride with nothing? same thing isnt it?
Check the NHTSA website (http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/comply/Index.cfm), they weren't too crazy about the U-69 one from '06. Page 30 showed the impact highlight info.
http://nhthqnwws111.odi.nhtsa.dot.g...c/OVSC/2006/Test Reports/TRTR-638534-2006.PDF
"The helmet failed the labeling in that the DOT symol is not centered on the helmet."

Sounds like a thorough investigation to me.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
TATE said:
"The helmet failed the labeling in that the DOT symol is not centered on the helmet."

Sounds like a thorough investigation to me.
Saw that too (didn't pay it that much mind with my helmet either), but it was recalled due to performance failures. That one I pay much more attention to.

Highway Safety Number: 638534
Brand: SKID LID
Model: U-69
Year: 2006
Body Style: PARTIAL
Pass/Fail: FAIL Performance

·
Premium Member
11,858 Posts
i've put probably 10k miles on my skid lid...took a bit to work in, and it's very comfortable (my touring helmet)...i wear a size small, and i don't feel it gives me mushroom head.

it's been inspected by local law enforcement, and they accept it as DOT (i did buy the DOT approved model). i find the small harness on it more comfortable over long periods than the larger, more structured one on my HCI 100 series, and it's less noisy as well (less turbulence through the straps).

i'll buy another when this one expires.

cheers!

-mistress k

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Wylie said:
+1

I got a half last year and I feel like pumpkin head when I wear it, which isn't often.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have the carbon fiber half helmet, love it. Very comfortable, hardly know I have it on. Wear it all the time, no mushroom head. It isn't cheap, but I think my noggin's worth it. :brick:

·
Banned
10,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finally got here today. It does have the mushroom effect but I'm going to use it this summer until I decide to cough up the money for a carbon fiber. Here are some pics.

Before

Before

After

I like stickers! Hehe :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts