Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My concern is that it feels sluggish like it's starved for fuel ( 06 m50 9000 miles) can I add a octane booster to see if it will help on meantime while I run 87 out and switch to 93 ? And has any body felt the same from 87 ethanol gas ? Will jumping up to 93 help? By the way I only got 89 miles out of tank last fill up and I'm suspecting it's the gas ...ideas?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
219 Posts
The previous owner used 87 with 10% ethanol in it and if he babied it, could get 40mpg out of it. I use 93 non-ethanol gas and get between 45mpg and 47mpg at 65mph indicated (about 61mph actual). I would suggest you burn the gas and get a higher octane next time. I have never seen scientific evidence that octane boosters work, but it is your money.

Still, 89 miles is way low. I would check plugs, oil, air pressure in tires, and other things as well. I can get about 175 miles on a tank of pure 93 if I go 65mph indicated and am not going around town. If you got 89 miles around town, I would not worry.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am assuming you have a C50. I don't know much about mechanics nor theories about gasoline etc. But I've owned two C50s now and I know a little about gas mileage with them. On the highway at 60mph, you should be getting a bit over 50 mpg. In town on freeways and streets with few stop lights, I think 40 mpg would be normal or obtainable. 23 mpg? Some is bad wrong or you only ride a mile or so each trip. Start checking the obvious as has been suggested to you such as plugs etc.

·
Registered
190 Posts
My 05 C50 (which should be the same engine) gets similar mileage whether it's E10 or pure gas, but the pure gas definitely makes the bike run smoother. I run 87 all the time. 93 does you no good if the bike isn't tuned for it, you're just wasting money.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so I just got it about a month ago and have noticed that power wise , when I accelerate it doesn't get up to speed like I would have thought not that I have a need for speed but when I'm riding and lay off the accelerator it's like it really decreases speed instead of slowing down gradually ( like overdrive in a car) . I'm still new to the motorcycle world but still feel like that's not really supposed to happen , right?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
This bike is a midsized light weight cruiser that just looks big. Not a street crotch rocket. Very sluggish by comparison. Millage should be north of 36 mpg. Recheck you math. 36 to 54 is what you will find reported on this site. I got 36-38 for 2.5 years. It was moded and I drove it hard.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
If my bike got 23mpg, I would put a for sale sign on it and drive my 19 year old Toyota instead. You need to get that fixed (unless you are always driving into a 50mph wind). Search for a non-ethanol gas in your area if you can find it. Some cities don't have pure gas. There are only a few options where I live.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The VL800 and the newer, fuel-injected C50 are pigs. Not much top-end (99.49mph) and a lot of weight for the engine size. It looks good though, and rides well. My 700 kawasaki smokes it though. Then again, it looks like a 700, while the VL800/C50 looks like a much larger bike.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
My concern is that it feels sluggish like it's starved for fuel ( 06 m50 9000 miles) can I add a octane booster to see if it will help on meantime while I run 87 out and switch to 93 ? And has any body felt the same from 87 ethanol gas ? Will jumping up to 93 help? By the way I only got 89 miles out of tank last fill up and I'm suspecting it's the gas ...ideas?

If they haven't been done yet it's about time for the valves to get a checkup. At the very least they were due for a check 1500 miles ago...And no... the Octane booster or higher octane fuel if they do anything will make the bike behave even more poorly. Fuel stabilizer and a fuel system cleaner (one that is NOT alcohol based) are more likely to do you some good.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
The problem is winter gas the government allows a more volatile blend of gas in winter. It contains more Butane in the blend if the same volatility where permitted by the government in summer time the hotter weather would cause a lot of the gas to evaporate before in was used. The Butane is also less costly which is why the gas prices go down in winter and up in summer when the refineries switch over to summer blend which is more costly and less volatile by law. A lot of lighters use Butane as the fuel it is quite volatile.

The amount of alcohol (Ethanol) in the gas is the same summer and winter. It is the refineries changing the gas blend by producing the more volatile cheaper winter blend which is cheaper to produce and has less energy that noticeably reduces winter MPG in all vehicles.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I would run some SeaFoam or GumOut thru your engine as gas has been gumming up fuel systems for more than a hundred years and MC are particularly vulnerable to gummed up fuel systems because they are generally not daily runners.

Using top tier gas which contains more that 5 times the governments requirement of cleaning agents can help keeping Motorcycles running happy but your bike seems in need of a good shade tree or dealership mechanic.

Reminds me of the time a buddy wanted to sell me his car because it was running really crappy. I checked his plugs and found three that were full of deposits. I cleaned and set his plugs and the engine was purring again and no longer for sale.

I told him to buy and install new plugs. He did so and got many more miles out of his old car.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
When your MC is running well the MPG will still varies a lot with your right wrist.

Solo riding my C50 by myself I enjoy using WOT and heavy breaking and often get 42 to 45 MPG. Solo or two up Riding in a group of Motorcycles out for a cruise more like 46 to 48 MPG. With my wife as precious cargo I generally get in the low 50s and am more likely to be on a longer ride which often involves some highway driving. She hates it if I stop hard enough for her helmet to hit mine. With her on the back I often have more time to enjoy the scenery.:wayhappy:
My riding style can produce a swing of almost 10 MPG.

Rather than miles per tank a much better indicator is Miles per Gallon of gas. The pump always tells how many gallons and you can divide gallons into miles since last gas fill up to arrive at MPG. For accuracy try to fill the tank to the same approximate position.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Sounds like your M50 (not the typical C50) is lacking some performance issues. Being that you got the bike late last year I would recommend pulling the injectors and have them cleaned and tested to eliminate the fuel delivery issue.

My C50 runs better on 93 vs 90 (both non-ethanol) rather than 87 E10. What the gov allows the gas companies to do is blend the ethanol with the lowest grade gas (around 82 octane) this brings the fuel up to an acceptable level for most vehicles. But however it only takes 5/8 of and ounce of water to pull the ethanol out of a gallon of gas, leaving us with a very dangerously low octane.

Automobile are not affected the same because of the EPA, but boats, motorcycles, lawn mowers, weed waters, etc all share a common element; a vented gas cap and that is where the moisture comes from that creates the issues that we see everyday in cleaning fuel tanks.

The contaminates we see in fuel tanks also exist in the EFI's.

"Ethanol is my best friend", thank you AL Gore.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Black smoke comment reminded me of something. If I run E10 (87 or 93) in mine and gas on it, it looks as though I have a diesel engine! 93 non-ethanol does not do this.

If you want to find real gas, and not ethanol-blended gas, check out the site below. Scroll down, click your state, and the stations are listed alphabetically by city. I go to Vander Tire & Auto since it is only a few miles from my home and the owner is awesome.

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

·
Premium Member
3,042 Posts
This I know will help.
If you are mechanically inclined pull the fuel line from the petcock. Run the engine until it dies. Attach the fuel line to this nozzle MERCURY MARINE Power Tune Engine Cleaner, 13 oz. | West Marine and spray the carb full. Let it sit for at least 24 hours. Reattach fuel line, report back.
Power tune lists as an engine cleaner. Forget that. It is 10 times stronger than a standard carb. cleaner. This stuff removes the varnish deposits that ethanol leaves behind.
Available from most marine dealerships.

Everyone that has done what I've said has reported good results. Power tune has even mended the relationship between my brother in law and myself. His generator was a victim of the effects of ethanol.

We need a class action lawsuit against those who sell and promote ethanol. And I ain't kidding.
C&P this to a google search. "i hate ethanol" , 167000 hits. Be sure to use quotes.
I hate ethanol.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
This I know will help.
If you are mechanically inclined pull the fuel line from the petcock. Run the engine until it dies. Attach the fuel line to this nozzle MERCURY MARINE Power Tune Engine Cleaner, 13 oz. | West Marine and spray the carb full. Let it sit for at least 24 hours. Reattach fuel line, report back.
Power tune lists as an engine cleaner. Forget that. It is 10 times stronger than a standard carb. cleaner. This stuff removes the varnish deposits that ethanol leaves behind.
Available from most marine dealerships.

Everyone that has done what I've said has reported good results. Power tune has even mended the relationship between my brother in law and myself. His generator was a victim of the effects of ethanol.

We need a class action lawsuit against those who sell and promote ethanol. And I ain't kidding.
C&P this to a google search. "i hate ethanol" , 167000 hits. Be sure to use quotes.
I hate ethanol.
Its fuel injected. Also, I love ethanol.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts