Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally had someone pull out in front of me at 45mph and laid the bike down. aside from some road rash, bruises, and a twisted knee I'm ok.

The questions I know have are:

1.) The bike was only worth 3k trade in, 4k retail in KBB (05 C90T with 27k miles). Replacing the handlebars, crash bars, floor boards, front fender, windshield, lowers, all the front lights, both mirror, fork case (I think its just the case thats dinged), and tank cover plus labor sounds like its getting pretty close to the value of the bike. I wonder if they will total it out. If they do is it worth it to take the money and run?

2.) Should I take the money offered and try and see if they will let me take my seat to try and sell?

3.) Is it worth it to see how much they will give me if I want to have the repairs done myself and then turn around and part it out for more money?

4.) Is it worth it to see how much they will give me if I want to have the repairs done myself and then turn around and sell it outright on a salvage title (I've already had people make offers)?

5.) If it comes in below, should I have it fixed. Ive only had the places around here do minor stuff like oil changes, tires, and brakes. I've heard a lot of horror stories about guys getting bikes fixed and it just not being right after.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
It's amazing how little damage can actually total a perfectly good less than new bike. I'm sure the adjuster will be able to answer many of your questions. You can do whatever you like with it. Don;t mean to be blunt, but there are too many variable factors to consider with each possibility to consider giving you a blanket answer.

I'm glad you had only minor injuries.... could have been MUCH worse! :wayhappy:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yes, it will be totaled. I'd take the money and buy another one if you want or buy something different. You should be able to find another C50 as it's a popular bike. Even if all the stuff was fixed, there's a chance it never rides the same. Glad to hear you're ok! I hit a deer at 45 mph and had pretty much the same injuries you have.

·
Administrator
29,580 Posts
Finally had someone pull out in front of me at 45mph and laid the bike down. aside from some road rash, bruises, and a twisted knee I'm ok.

The questions I know have are:

1.) The bike was only worth 3k trade in, 4k retail in KBB (05 C90T with 27k miles). Replacing the handlebars, crash bars, floor boards, front fender, windshield, lowers, all the front lights, both mirror, fork case (I think its just the case thats dinged), and tank cover plus labor sounds like its getting pretty close to the value of the bike. I wonder if they will total it out. If they do is it worth it to take the money and run?

2.) Should I take the money offered and try and see if they will let me take my seat to try and sell?

3.) Is it worth it to see how much they will give me if I want to have the repairs done myself and then turn around and part it out for more money?

4.) Is it worth it to see how much they will give me if I want to have the repairs done myself and then turn around and sell it outright on a salvage title (I've already had people make offers)?

5.) If it comes in below, should I have it fixed. Ive only had the places around here do minor stuff like oil changes, tires, and brakes. I've heard a lot of horror stories about guys getting bikes fixed and it just not being right after.

The bike is probably done. Im glad you're ok.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Super Moderator
19,665 Posts
recently lost my 05 c90 and not the "T" model and they came in at $5,500...look into your insurance as your policy may include up tp $1000 in upgrades and accessories even w/o the additional coverage. Good luck...glad you weren't hurt.

·
Premium Member
6,399 Posts
Around here that would be considered a write off.

If it gets fixed you'll probably never be happy with it. I'd take the insurance settlement, and run and buy another.

Just my .02 cents.

·
Super Moderator
23,825 Posts
I'm assuming the other driver's insurance is paying the bill. If the tank is damaged the bike is totaled. As for the seat, make them pay you for it. If there's no damage to it, you want to keep it and you still have the stock seat, tell them they can buy it from you for fair market value or you'll be happy to put the stock seat back on it.

Don't let them push you around. If they try to push, call the state insurance commissioner's office and file a complaint with them.

Glad to hear you for away with minor injuries and I really hope you heal fast!

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I am glad you are o.k. Remember it is YOUR bike you can do what you want with it. You can let them have it and take the money. You can buy it back and have it fixed by a shop. you can buy it back and fix it yourself. You can buy it back and part it out. It is your bike. But if it was mine. Since it is a C90T I would buy it back and fix it myself. That way you learn a lot more about your bike.

Heck, buy it back and bring it to me, I will fix it. All the parts you mentioned that were damaged can be bought on e-bay or craigslist daily.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can't really fix it myself because I live in a condo with not a lot of tools.

As for not letting them push me around, the other guys insurance companies is knows he was BLATANTLY at fault and I'm sure will be very happy to be more than fair considering I'm not suing the **** out of them (which I would never do anyway, but they don't know that).

·
Registered
949 Posts
Adam,

I went through the same thought process about six weeks ago, when some a**hole decided to make a left turn in front of me from the right lane.

If the insurance company totals your bike (which is highly likely from what you described), you can take the money they offer, and buy your bike back for the salvage value. You can then fix it, if you think it is worth it, or try to part it out. My bike was totaled, and I debated buying it back at salvage. In the end, I decided it was not worth the time and effort. If you don't have a place to store and work on the bike, it probably is not feasible for you either.

In the end, I bought a new bike that I am very happy with. I got good money for my old bike, based as the accessories coverage I had on my own insurance, plus I was blessed to have a little more to add to it.

Good luck, and I am glad you weren't hurt too bad.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll have to see if my insurance has accessory coverage. I have an ultimate seat, cobra long shots, and a saddleman trunk bag. Thats about it, though. I dont think its worth the $500 deductible to yank those off and try and sell them for maybe a total of $700.

AJG

·
Super Moderator
23,825 Posts
I'll have to see if my insurance has accessory coverage. I have an ultimate seat, cobra long shots, and a saddleman trunk bag. Thats about it, though. I dont think its worth the $500 deductible to yank those off and try and sell them for maybe a total of $700.

AJG
If you're dealing with his insurance company your coverage doesn't matter. He has to make you whole. If it is damaged he has to fix or replace it. That includes accessories, riding gear, and even cleaning the skid marks out of your underwear. The only deductible will be the other driver's problem, not yours.

·
Super Moderator
23,825 Posts
Also, do NOT sign a release of future medical bills. If you have problems related to the incident in the future you want that coverage.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
You should get average retail plus ad ons. My 2 wheeler has $2000.00 ad on rider. My trike has $3000.00 plus trike kit. take the money.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
It's very likely there is frame damage from the impact, and at that point, they don't mess with it, they total it.

Glad you are (reasonably) OK!

·
Registered
19,332 Posts
When I wrecked in 2009, I was about $400 shy of the adjuster totalling my bike. I asked if there could be allowances made to so I could keep it. He agreed and I lived with a few scrapes and dings in the paint.

Looking back on it now, I should have taken the money and run. The bike was never quite right after the accident. Even though it had a brand new front end, the handling was not up to par.

Since you're lucky and the other guy stopped, (most don't!!!) you won't have to deal with deductibles. When you settle, settle for the REPLACEMENT value, not the Actual Cash Value. Then get a new bike with the proceeds and ride off happy.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Good advice^ Take the money and run. The bike will never be right after that kind of a lay-down at speed. Just look at it as a chance to buy a nice used DL650 (j/k... everybody knows I love my "little" DL).
Oh, and I almost forgot... glad to hear you are ok! Where did the accident happen?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Steve: US 224 in Boardman just east of Tippecanoe if you are familiar with the area. less than a half mile from my house :p

1 - 20 of 23 Posts