Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had finally gotten off work. I normally work 2:30 pm to 11:00 pm but I had stayed over again. It was after 1:00 am. My ride home takes me through some very desolate areas of the desert. I love this part of the day, it's just me and my bike. Time to relax and enjoy the ride and let the work day just blow away in the wind. Last night was kind of cold (for southern Arizona this time of year) like 40 degrees and very little moonlight. I was cruising along at about 55mph when all of a sudden there was this impact to my face. Do you know that dumb feeling of instantly wondering where your at after you've been hit in the face by a line drive baseball or a swift punch? It was like that minus the pain bloom afterwards. I was a little disoriented but was able to hang on and keep the bike upright. I had no idea what I hit but I seemed to be ok so I slowly crept home the rest of the way. I pulled into the garage pulled off my helmet. It looked fine in the garage light. It wasn't until I got into the kitchen and looked at it under that light did I see the blood spray and the tufts of hair stuck in the vents that I realized it must've been a bat. In any case once I washed the gore off the helmet. It's fine. I'm fine. The bat...not so much I would imagine. I'm just glad I always wear a helmet.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nope not a scratch on me. I did wonder about maybe it was sick maybe that's why it wasn't able to avoid the impact. Seems like bats should, when healthy, be able to avoid this kind of thing I've never heard of anyone hitting a bat before.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Some say lucky, sounds like you had on the gear you needed in case something happened. Something happened and you were prepared. Great Job!

I saw the bat fly out of Carlsbad long ago, it was amazing. Those things fly in crazy patterns; it is organized chaos. Amazing.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
On a slight tangent: During the many years that I lived in the country, I remember swimming in the pool at dusk on hot summer nights and suddenly being bombarded by the bats that were trying to eat the mosquitoes hovering at the surface of the water. That was my cue to exit the pool... Disgusting yet necessary little creatures.

·
Premium Member
9,059 Posts
I guess that's what you call a "Ding" bat! ;-)

Do you have a windshield?
Glad it wasn't worse..........

·
Premium Member
3,051 Posts
I'm not sure of the rabies sitch in AZ, but up here an impact like that, particularly if fluids got through vents and because the batman have been dopey enough to not avoid impact, might be cause for post exposure prophylaxis--rabies shots.

You might want to talk to your doc or local health department. Shots are a lot easier these days.

·
Super Moderator
8,879 Posts
I'm not sure of the rabies sitch in AZ, but up here an impact like that, particularly if fluids got through vents and because the batman have been dopey enough to not avoid impact, might be cause for post exposure prophylaxis--rabies shots.

You might want to talk to your doc or local health department. Shots are a lot easier these days.
Rayzor, something it may interest you to know: PBryon ^^ is an epidemiologist. For real. Number one smart dude, knows a boatload about infectious diseases that spread by animals and insects. I'd listen to his advice.

Mighty glad you weren't knocked off your wheels. Buy yourself a lottery ticket, because you've got some kinda luck!

·
Registered
988 Posts
LOL. Only laughing at the title of your post but very happy that you are OK. That is some scary S^&T!

I was expecting to read that you had a "reggulS ellivsiouL" tattoo on the back of your head.

I have a few "adanaC ni edaM" tattoos from playing hockey. :blackeye:

·
Registered
219 Posts
I got this out of the way when I was a kid. I had a full-face helmet on when riding my little Honda 125 Fourtrax quad. No shocks mind you, balloon tires! Anyway it wasn't dark yet but it was dusk. I was riding out through an open trail on the very back of my neighborhood. I was in fifth and going probably 40mph. A bat hit my helmet and the windscreen came up a tad, trapping the lower part of the bat. I took my throttle hand off the throttle and hit the foot-brake. Just before I had stopped (and had the helmet almost untied), he got free and flew away. No scratches, no blood, no nothing. Just startled me quite well!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts