Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 C50 and near the end of the season I noticed the bike was very occasionally didn't like going in to first gear, but the problem seemed very rare, and far between. Last ride of the season while riding I wasn't able to shift at all, I stopped and checked the bike. As I attempted to ride away the bike would rev up but wouldn't shift at. Now I have heard 2 things, a few people say the clutch is fried, a few say the drive shaft is shot, what do you guys think.
If it is the clutch I have a friend who is a mechanic and is willing to help me fix it but we were curious how difficult changing a clutch on a bike with a drive shaft is?

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
You do need to check the driveshaft as there have been several problems with those. If it's the clutch then it's an easy fix, your mechanic friend should be able to handle that.

·
Registered
20,044 Posts
The first thing you need to check is the clutch adjustment. Not the screw and nut on the handlebar OR on top of the trasmission, but under the cover on the left side of the bike. Run both cable adjustment screws all the way IN, then remove the cover. Loosen the 10mm lock nut and use a flat screw driver to turn the clutch adjustment IN until you feel resistance, then back it off 1/8 of a turn. Use the screwdriver to hold the adjuster and tighten the lock nut. Try riding the bike after the adjustment and see if that helps. Beyond that start looking at the possibility that the clutch is bad first, then concentrate on the drive shaft. Tackle the easy (and inexpensive) stuff first.

Reactions: rvcycleguy

·
Registered
770 Posts
I had a similar thing happen to me on a ride home one morning. The bike quite shifting. As I wasn't to far from home I managed to make it home. Afterwards I was looking at the shifter and noted that the front bolt holding the floorboard in place had come out, and whenever I tried to shift all I was doing was pushing the front of the floorboard down. 1 bolt out of the spare bolt bin and all was well.

·
Administrator
54,721 Posts
I have a 2007 C50 and near the end of the season I noticed the bike was very occasionally didn't like going in to first gear, but the problem seemed very rare, and far between. Last ride of the season while riding I wasn't able to shift at all, I stopped and checked the bike. As I attempted to ride away the bike would rev up but wouldn't shift at. Now I have heard 2 things, a few people say the clutch is fried, a few say the drive shaft is shot, what do you guys think.
If it is the clutch I have a friend who is a mechanic and is willing to help me fix it but we were curious how difficult changing a clutch on a bike with a drive shaft is?
One item may possibly need to be addressed here; have You been using motor oil, such as 10W30, energy conserving?

Notice the image posted below.
FWIW: Any oil with an energy conserving rating is a No-No for Motorcycle (wet clutch) usage.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
The heel toe shifter pivots on a steel bushing. It can get very dry and cause shifting problems. It can be taken apart and greased. Gman sells an oillite bushing kit that improves shifting. If your shifter is sticking, you will have troubles. I have a habit of keeping my foot to the back of the floor board and will miss a shift if I didn't let the heel come back up after the last shift. If the clutch is slipping you would have noticed it more in the higher gears climbing a hill or accelerating briskly

Reactions: Psyc0

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the help everyone, have a great starting point now, appreciate the advice, and yes it was my first time posting, worked a lot better then I expected

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
The one thing I would like to add is if you need to or deicide to do your clutch be very careful and note the hole where every one of the 13 bolts holding the cover plate came from. They are of different lengths and you could spend hours figuring out which one goes where when putting it back together. Other then that it's a simple job costing you under $135 in new parts.

Reactions: mcadan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The one thing I would like to add is if you need to or deicide to do your clutch be very careful and note the hole where every one of the 13 bolts holding the cover plate came from. They are of different lengths and you could spend hours figuring out which one goes where when putting it back together. Other then that it's a simple job costing you under $135 in new parts.

good thing you warned me otherwise I know I would not keep track and up loosing my mind by the end trying to figure them out

1 - 12 of 12 Posts