Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy is the salesman at our local Honda shop and for some reason, they began to service and sell the Ural. I had been talking about wanting to try one and they happened to have one on the show room floor on Saturday morning. So I took it for a ride.

What a completely different experience.

I've ridden motorcycles for so long, the idea of having to STEER the bike through a corner took a while to figure out. The steering damper that was fitted to the bike did a great job of eliminating the oscillations as we went down the road.

In all, we did a 15 mile circuit. Some freeway but mostly back roads. At 60 mph, in 4th gear, the throttle is darn near flat out pegged. The engine is not revving overly much, it is just the weight of the machine, combined with the aerodynamics and the power output of the engine means it will struggle to maintain interstate speeds. Best to keep this to the back-roads.

But on the back roads? The thing is a blast to ride!!!! The handling takes some getting used to and you have to slow WAY down in a corner, especially a left hander (has anyone here ever flown the chair?) Slowing it is not a problem, thanks to the Brembo disc brakes. In all, it was an incredibly fun ride. I need to get my wife over there to take a ride while they still have one in stock. I think she'll have as much fun as I did.

Is it a perfect motorcycle? No. Will it do what I want with it? Absolutely. I can see having A LOT of fun - take-your-time - kind of rides with this machine.

Now the question becomes, do I add a 5th motorcycle to the garage, or do I sell a few and pick up a 2005 Corvette that was just traded in at the dealership where my wife works?

·
Registered
21,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, but I already have a sport bike that will run rings around the Vette...

·
Administrator
29,695 Posts
You
My buddy is the salesman at our local Honda shop and for some reason, they began to service and sell the Ural. I had been talking about wanting to try one and they happened to have one on the show room floor on Saturday morning. So I took it for a ride.

What a completely different experience.

I've ridden motorcycles for so long, the idea of having to STEER the bike through a corner took a while to figure out. The steering damper that was fitted to the bike did a great job of eliminating the oscillations as we went down the road.

In all, we did a 15 mile circuit. Some freeway but mostly back roads. At 60 mph, in 4th gear, the throttle is darn near flat out pegged. The engine is not revving overly much, it is just the weight of the machine, combined with the aerodynamics and the power output of the engine means it will struggle to maintain interstate speeds. Best to keep this to the back-roads.

But on the back roads? The thing is a blast to ride!!!! The handling takes some getting used to and you have to slow WAY down in a corner, especially a left hander (has anyone here ever flown the chair?) Slowing it is not a problem, thanks to the Brembo disc brakes. In all, it was an incredibly fun ride. I need to get my wife over there to take a ride while they still have one in stock. I think she'll have as much fun as I did.

Is it a perfect motorcycle? No. Will it do what I want with it? Absolutely. I can see having A LOT of fun - take-your-time - kind of rides with this machine.

Now the question becomes, do I add a 5th motorcycle to the garage, or do I sell a few and pick up a 2005 Corvette that was just traded in at the dealership where my wife works?

Which model did you ride? A retro?. The leading link models don't need a damper. I always fly the chair, but its a right turn thing, not a left. Left handers can be taken at full speed,myou just have to watch your traction and the force of the chair pulling out.

I have made an iron butt ride on a Ural, and I have cracked down the Blue Ridge Parkway... I have driven 85,000 AMG Mercedes on the parkway and I have ridden the best motorcycles on earth down the parkway. The Ural was the best machine for that job... Ever.

the Ural will not struggle at freeway speeds, because it shouldn't be ridden on the freeway :). Both Ural (and I) advise you to not get on the slab (they say limit it to 60 MPH, which is below running speed on the slab) Heck, Iadvise you to avoid the slab with any sidecar rig. Top speed up some grades is about 50 mph.

I love my newer Ural, it is a throwback machine, but it is just incredible. And it has proven itself double tough.
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motorcycling Motor vehicle

Get one and dont look back. There is no corvette that is as fun to drive, and I grew up in a corvette family.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.