Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went on a short ride with the new V&H straight shots on my stock 04 VL800 and started to smell antifreeze at a stop light. Strongest at right side front area when sitting on the bike. I couldn't see anything from that angle so when I got home I started poking around. I think I found where the antifreeze is coming from but I don't know why. Something tells me I don't want to know either. ($$$$)
It looks like an overflow hose near the radiator cap may be spitting out some antifreeze and it's cooking on the outside of the cylinders. I've had the bike for 3 years now and I haven't changed the antifreeze yet. Here are my thoughts:
1. Added new pipes, bike is running hotter?
2. Can't hear fan because pipes so **** loud. Is it broken?
3. Clog in radiator? No warning lights.
4. Radiator temp sensor broken?

Thoughts?

http://i860.photobucket.com/albums/ab161/ruesta17/2014-04/B9A50D60-BE1C-4C60-9DA6-36B09FDC8E46_zpsjezlxbxh.jpg

http://i860.photobucket.com/albums/ab161/ruesta17/2014-04/11BC49A5-7751-4428-A560-C43E3FFDB4D8_zpstqndtghk.jpg
http://i860.photobucket.com/albums/ab161/ruesta17/2014-04/97BA204A-5C62-4B26-9BD4-10618E694796_zpsatnl5svm.jpg

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I don't think that is an overflow hose. That looks like your upper radiator hose going to the fill cap. It also looks to have a hole in it. You need to replace that hose and change your antifreeze before you ride it again.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think that is an overflow hose. That looks like your upper radiator hose going to the fill cap. It also looks to have a hole in it. You need to replace that hose and change your antifreeze before you ride it again.

I should take a better picture. The opening you see is the end of a hose. It happens to be resting up against the upper radiator hose that's why I thought it was an over flow. The hose appears to be a clear plastic and maybe 1/2 inch diameter. It's the only thing that appears wet on that side of the bike. If my upper radiator hose had a hole that big in it I would expect to be showered in antifreeze. Could it be coming from this clear hose? It looks more like #14 in the diagram. Thanks for offering the hose. I'm going to take a close look at all of this on Saturday/Sunday.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
I should take a better picture. The opening you see is the end of a hose. It happens to be resting up against the upper radiator hose that's why I thought it was an over flow. The hose appears to be a clear plastic and maybe 1/2 inch diameter. It's the only thing that appears wet on that side of the bike. If my upper radiator hose had a hole that big in it I would expect to be showered in antifreeze. Could it be coming from this clear hose? It looks more like #14 in the diagram. Thanks for offering the hose. I'm going to take a close look at all of this on Saturday/Sunday.

The hose in the picture with the hole is the one that goes to the filler where the rad cap is located...

You are now getting fluid coming from there when the temperature gets high enough to expand the coolant so it reaches that point.

Since there is no seal to the system because of the hole, the engine is running over temperature and there is no drawing of any antifreeze from the overflow down on the left side when the engine cools.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,872 Posts

You are correct, I see it now. The only clear plastic hose that should be in that area is the vent from the carbs, and it should run to a hole under the fuel tank in the plate for the frame. Remove your fuel tank and get a better picture.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are correct, I see it now. The only clear plastic hose that should be in that area is the vent from the carbs, and it should run to a hole under the fuel tank in the plate for the frame. Remove your fuel tank and get a better picture.

That is correct. I took the tank off and accessed the antifreeze overflow container. It had about 2oz of fluid in it. I changed the antifreeze since I had it all apart. Ran it for a while. No leaks. I'm thinking now that some kind of cleaning solution may have spilled on the bike at some point. I will just have to keep an eye on it.
Thanks for everyone's input. This forum is a lifesaver!!

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hey Ruesta...how do you like your straight shots..I also have an 04 and trying hard to decide between straights and cruzers..i love loud, but i also like the deep rumble that the cruzers may produce..whats your advice..thanks!!! Steve

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Ruesta...how do you like your straight shots..I also have an 04 and trying hard to decide between straights and cruzers..i love loud, but i also like the deep rumble that the cruzers may produce..whats your advice..thanks!!! Steve

I love them! They are obnoxiously loud but that's why I like them. I heard both the straight shots and cruzers on YouTube and I was sold on the straight shots. I lucked out by winning them used on eBay ($128). They are in perfect condition. I planned on saving up the $400+ for them new but I couldn't pass up a deal. I'm not sure how my neighbors feel about them as of yet but I think they'll be ok. There's a Harley dealer less than 1/8 mile from my house so I think they might be immune to the noise. The problem is that I leave for work at 5 am. Not sure they will enjoy it as much as I do. It's supposed to be sunny and over 50 tomorrow so I plan on taking pix and posting them. If you love it loud then go for it. You won't be disappointed.
Last summer I rode in the Boston Marathon One Fund ride. The only thing I had to compete with everyone else's exhaust was my Stebel air horn. This year I have the pipes and the horn. It should be a a different story this summer!!

·
Super Moderator
25,179 Posts
I have straight shots, and a friend of mine with a Harley was riding behind me yesterday on the interstate. We hit an exit and he told me he couldn't hear his radio and asked if he could get in front. :biglaugh:

Man I love those pipes! :evil:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts