Is this a good good buy?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
02, Volusia 800
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I joined this forum just to get your opinions:

I'm brand new to riding. I just took the MSF class and got my license. I'm ready to buy and sat on a Boulevard C50 at a cycle shop and really liked it. Fast forward a few weeks, I made a post on Facebook about looking for a bike. I was approached by a gentleman who is the second owner of a 2002 Intruder Volusia 800 (VL800) with 12,000 miles. After a little research, I discover what you likely already know: Its the same thing, just different model years and a name change. So far, so good.

Here's where I'm seeking your opinion: I like the bike; very comfortable ( at least stationary). When I went to look at it, it wouldn't start. Dead battery. Seller said he only rides a few times a year, just wants to get rid of the bike. Didn't have it on a tender and didn't really seem like he took care of it. Seemed like he just bought it on a whim. It still had gas in the tank (about a 1/4 of a tank) and it wasn't winterized since the fall (Live in Kansas and the bike was allegedly garaged). Today he messaged me and told me he replaced the battery and it "fired right up." I don't believe the gas was treated.

The bike showed little wear and tear, but nothing concerning on the surface. Asking price is $2400. Assuming that the bike does run (going to see it on Wednesday for myself) does this seem like a good price for this bike? Is there anything I should ask when I go to see it next? What discovery would make you walk away? At this point I'm thinking that (at least in the KC area this time of year) $2400 for an 800cc bike with 12K miles on it, isn't a bad deal.

Thoughts?

Appreciate your replies!!

BG

·
Super Moderator
28,262 Posts
Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

12k on a 19 year old bike works out to about 50 miles a month. I'm sure no one was riding it only 50 miles a month regularly, so that tells me that it's likely sat for a really long time getting 0 miles. That 1/4 tank of gas has probably turned to vanish in the lines, so you'll probably have to clean out the carbs and replace the fuel filter.

I'm not saying don't buy it or that it's a bad deal, but I'd plan on having to do a lot of work to it, along with replacing every fluid, the tires, and most of the rubber lines. If you're not afraid of doing some wrenching, go for it, otherwise you can likely find one in really good condition for around $4k.

Reactions: BG936

·
Registered
284 Posts
I agree with what Whiskey said.
I had an 02 Volusia and liked it so much that when I upgraded last year I bought an 06 Boulevard C50. All Volusia and carbureted and Boulevards are fuel injected. Getting fuel injection was one of the main points I wanted when I upgraded. When I bought my Boulevard it only had 7100 km on it. Here in Ontario Canada it has to pass a safety inspection before it can be plated and ride it on the road. Since I bought it safetied at a dealer ship they had to put new tires on it. I replaced almost all the other rubber hoses and brake line. Changed all the fluids, spark plugs and a few other things. When I purchased the Boulevard I knew it was going to need the work and I didn’t mined putting the extra money and time into it.
I have no idea what a 2002 Volusia is worth in your area, maybe invest some time on Craigslist or some other such site to look at comparable motorcycles.
When I bought my Boulevard it was on the higher end of the price spectrum for my area but the paint and chrome looked brand new, had very low kilometres and the motor ran very well with only the usual sewing machine sound and came with a warranty. One of the other points when I upgraded was that the Mustang seat I bought for my Volusia had to fit the new bike, so as long as I didn’t go to new with a Boulevard I could switch the seat over.
Hopefully my rambling will help you.

·
Super Moderator
22,484 Posts
read what you wrote..."looks like he really didn't take care of it"...if your gut tells you that...it should also be telling you to keep looking...your going to need to replace the tires regardless of how good they look, theres 4-5 bills right there ...like others have said, change all the fluids...if you aren't mechanically savy, hopefully you can find a reliable honest shop who can service the mc,,,expect to pay probably around $75 an hour...more/less...I had an 04 and loved it while I had it...gave me 87k wonderful carefree miles...happy enough with the suzuki brand I have stayed with them and now ride a c90. I would keep looking, lotsa newer low mileage mc's out there that were bought on impulse and never get ridden and can be had cheap,

·
Registered
20,044 Posts
If you pull up the KBB or NADA book, you'd see that he's not only selling a bike that doesn't run, but he's selling a bike that doesn't run for over $1000 above book value. Low mileage, older bike are almost universally a pain in the butt to get running right. Pass on this opportunity and buy from a dealer who at least will have started the bike to make sure it still runs before offering for sale.

·
Registered
720 Posts
listen to skrap he gives good advice ,I sold a 2004 volusia limited for 2k w 16,000 miles on it , I received 1k down and 100 a month .......for 3 months, and I am still waiting for my $700 no payment for 4 months...... oh well ?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Dead battery is quite common for all bikes that sit, especially this time of year.

I'd go take a ride on it. If it rides good and the motor sounds happy, offer him the book value.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'd pass. I'm sure there are better ones ot there.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the gas quality from sitting. If the carb is gummed up or a lot of water has condensed in the tank it won't run right at all and you'll know it.

The fuel filter in these things is not really a fuel filter. It's just a little strainer that needs no replacing.

If it rides good chances are it will keep on riding good for a LONG time. These things have been known to induce a BSEG!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Everyone else has already given you solid advice.

If you can find someone local who knows about bikes and can go with you to take a look at the bikes with you.

I found a friend to came with me when I bought my first bike. Best thing I could have done as he knew bikes a whole lot more than I did at the time.

Either way, good luck on getting your first bike. The adiction is beginning.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would pass on this deal 1 more then likely the gas has turn to varnish and 2 he started it up a ran it into the carbs now you more then likely will have to have the carbs clean if not rebuild Not cheep.and then all the other things you have to do to it you will more then likely have about another 12 hundred into it..the bike is not worth all of that....

·
Registered
124 Posts
There are a few more considerations. While i definitely think the Volusia C50 is a great bike, especially a great first bike it does have its limitations. How tall are you? How much do you weigh? Are you going to be riding two up? Do you plan on riding long distance highway miles?
The 800 will struggle if your a big guy and you add a passenger. I think they are great backroad bikes. Great commuter bikes, specially if you add saddlebags. It’s not a great bike on the highway in my opinion. Not a long distance touring bike, it’s a cruiser.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all! I joined this forum just to get your opinions:

I'm brand new to riding. I just took the MSF class and got my license. I'm ready to buy and sat on a Boulevard C50 at a cycle shop and really liked it. Fast forward a few weeks, I made a post on Facebook about looking for a bike. I was approached by a gentleman who is the second owner of a 2002 Intruder Volusia 800 (VL800) with 12,000 miles. After a little research, I discover what you likely already know: Its the same thing, just different model years and a name change. So far, so good.

Here's where I'm seeking your opinion: I like the bike; very comfortable ( at least stationary). When I went to look at it, it wouldn't start. Dead battery. Seller said he only rides a few times a year, just wants to get rid of the bike. Didn't have it on a tender and didn't really seem like he took care of it. Seemed like he just bought it on a whim. It still had gas in the tank (about a 1/4 of a tank) and it wasn't winterized since the fall (Live in Kansas and the bike was allegedly garaged). Today he messaged me and told me he replaced the battery and it "fired right up." I don't believe the gas was treated.

The bike showed little wear and tear, but nothing concerning on the surface. Asking price is $2400. Assuming that the bike does run (going to see it on Wednesday for myself) does this seem like a good price for this bike? Is there anything I should ask when I go to see it next? What discovery would make you walk away? At this point I'm thinking that (at least in the KC area this time of year) $2400 for an 800cc bike with 12K miles on it, isn't a bad deal.

Thoughts?

Appreciate your replies!!

BG
My Hard Fast Rule #1 is; If I go to buy something and it won't start I walk away.
There are Way Too Many out there that Will start. If they don't think enough of the
bike to make sure it starts when they want to sell it, You ARE going to have problems
with that on. Walk Away. You don't need that PITA when just starting out.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
There are a few more considerations. While i definitely think the Volusia C50 is a great bike, especially a great first bike it does have its limitations. How tall are you? How much do you weigh? Are you going to be riding two up? Do you plan on riding long distance highway miles?
The 800 will struggle if your a big guy and you add a passenger. I think they are great backroad bikes. Great commuter bikes, specially if you add saddlebags. It’s not a great bike on the highway in my opinion. Not a long distance touring bike, it’s a cruiser.
One might think so, but Mastertek2000 rode one through 49 states with his wife riding passenger and towing a trailer! A trailer that looked more appropriate for a small car.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Definitely a VERY tough engine. I've seen it haul some very heavy people riding 2-up with ease. No struggle at all. Up some STEEP mountain roads, too!

·
Registered
20,044 Posts
It all depends on what day of the week, the engine was assembled. Mine puked at 38,000 and I didn't stress it nearly that hard.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have an 04 Volusia with some mods and LOVE IT! I don't think there's much difference from the 02 and my 04 but could be wrong. I lean towards it's not a good deal. You're going to have to put some $$'s into it no matter what for all the posted reasons above. If you get the price way down and you can do some of the work yourself (a lot of good info on this site on how to do stuff) you may save some money. That gas can be an issue with hidden demons... now inside your carb. Looks are only skin deep but ugly is to the bone and you may have some ugly inside of that bike. I think you'd do better with a newer bike that has been maintained. Now, if your mechanically inclined and the gas isn't bad (big if) you may have a diamond in the rough. Just my two cents. Keep the rubber side down! Btw, welcome to the site!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts