Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,782 Posts
Been down this road. Hit a car broadside and the lady who pulled out in front of me said to the officer taking the report. "There was no one on the road and when I pulled out this motorcycle came out of nowhere and hit me." Luckely there were about 10 witnesses who saw everything.

Sorry about your bike and pain.

I hired a lawyer and it paid off. If you do get a lawyer shop around they take different percentages.

I hope you heal quickly and don't suffer too much pain.

·
Registered
19,530 Posts
Get a copy of the police report. If the driver was cited, you stand a good chance of recovering your wages through his insurance. However, if he was not cited, it becomes a swearing match in civil court. In most states, no impact means no fault on the part of the other party. It is treated as a failure to control on your part, which puts you behind the 8 ball from the get-go. At best, you stand a 50/50 chance of recovering any damages in civil court. Witnesses on your behalf will certainly help your case. But without them, you're going to have to take your chances. Get a lawyer and review the potential case with them.

Motorcycling is inherently dangerous. I don't understand why people ride without the proper insurance. Not just collision and liability, but disability as well. It takes a long time to recover and without some sort of disability to cover the bills, it makes things that much worse.

Get a lawyer and good luck.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Motorcycling is inherently dangerous. I don't understand why people ride without the proper insurance. Not just collision and liability, but disability as well. It takes a long time to recover and without some sort of disability to cover the bills, it makes things that much worse.

Get a lawyer and good luck.
Very good point, except that costs money and its easier to sue.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
19,530 Posts
AFLAC.... It's not just s funny commercial with a duck...

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Sorry to hear this, and I hope it works out for you. I'm starting to think its time to mount a camera on the bike for all riding, just to have evidence in these situations. I know it sounds far-fetched, but it has payed off in some cases already.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Get a LAWYER. If the other guy got a citation, you will be covered. Call your insurance co. also and give them full details.

Good luck, GOD bless from a retired Firefighter.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
This sucks

Ive been looking into lawyers...how do you choose... Ive never had to obtain a lawyer for anything. Google gives me a thousand options. but how to decide which is best???

I got a copy of the police report...The other driver wasnt cited. all the police report said is that I claimed that I layed the bike down because the driver pulled into my lane, and the driver claimes that he checked right, and then checked left to see me in the process of downing my bike:twisted:

I freakin hate people... He knew **** well that it was his fault...he even told me "sorry, I didnt see you" WTF is wrong with people. Now im gonna be screwed because of someone elses stupidity. Not to mention, they declared my bike totaled... aside from all that, i wont ever ride again. My wife was finally getting use to the idea that I owned a bike. Now she cries everytime anyone even mentions one:cry:

Man, what am I gonna do...cant work for up to 6 months...have my third little one coming into the world in november...My insurance company said the only way I can regain lost wages is if the other driver is found at fault.

I really have a lot riding on the lawyer decision. Oh yea... and every lawyer that I have talked to said if I do sue for wages/injuries/suffering that I wont get paid for a long long time. Plus, most of em take 30% straight of of the top from what they win for ya... Im not trying to get rich or anything...I just want to be able to provide for my family.

Holy crap... when it rains it pours... Everyone keeps telling me "it could be worse" and "your lucky to be alive." They are probably right but Man this really sucks:blackeye::cry:

·
Registered
19,530 Posts
Life lesson maybe??? Just be glad you're still around to learn it!!!

·
Registered
906 Posts
I guess there's a lot to be said for a helmet cam / handlebar cam..... I am going to look into something like that now after hearing this horrible story. I'm so sorry for ya man. I will say a prayer that somehow you come out of this without too much more misery. Hang tough man!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I don't know if you are a church goer or not but my church has helped many folks out who find themselves in such situations. I would suggest you call your church if you have one or talk to a friend who goes to one. I have seen miracles happen in some very dire situations. Hang in there...we are all pulling for you and many of us are praying for you!

·
Registered
153 Posts
I am so sorry to hear. But thank god you survived. It is not always the case. Im in a similar situation with a motorcycle accident on Aug 15, no wages, no disability, no health coverage....NO INCOME. the other driver however was at fault, but i get nothing until way way later. Meanwhile no income for bills. I have already been off 6 weeks and found out today, 6 more weeks. After 11 1/2 years, my job is not going to hold my position for me, just found that one out also. I am over $100,000 now in hospital bills and still being treated. So yes, get a lawyer if they think there is a case for you. Good luck with your case. Hope you have a good recovery!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

21 - 36 of 36 Posts