Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...I'm posting this from my hospital bed hoping that someone can help me out with a couple questions...

Here goes...took a ride this morning and wrecked less than 2 miles from my house. I was cruising on my 06 c50t at approximately 50-55mph down a 2 lane rd that I travel all the time when my ride was rudely interrupted by an suv that pulled out infront of me. I was able to miss the vehicle but dumped the bike :crying: Fortunately I was able to get my self out of the road without getting run over. First thing the driver said to me as he got out of his vehicle was "sorry man, I didn't see you" I ended up on a spine board and was transported to the hospital by ambulance. My injuries consist of a broken scapula (shoulder blade) and a bunch of roadrash. I got lucky...really really lucky...

So... being a firefighter, I know most of the emergency responders that responded to my wreck. I was informed by a couple fellow firefighters that the driver of the other vehicle told police that he inched forward but never actually entered my lane:evil:

Here is my dilemma ... I currently work 2 jobs (full time firefighter and construction) I have a 2 year old and a 7 month old and my wife is due with our 3rd in November. I don't know what I'm gonna do...the ortho Dr said I won't be able to lift anything heavy for up to 6 months...I'm pretty much screwed :crying:

My hospital bills are covered by my insurance through work so im not worried about those bills. BUT...Does anyone know if his insurance would cover my lost wages??? I didnt dammage his vehicle at all so Am I SOL becauseits his word against mine and no physical evidence? I hate the idea of suing somebody...but is that even possible or worth looking into??? Someone please help

I'm not trying to get rich quick or anything...I just need to take care of my wife n kids...thank you all for any advice u may have.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dunno...haven't seen the police report yet. They never got a statement from me. My wife said an officer was in the ambulance while I was telling medics what happened...but I couldn't see who was there cause I was fully immobilized on the spineboard. Hopefully PD went with my side of the story

·
Administrator
29,813 Posts
So...I'm posting this from my hospital bed hoping that someone can help me out with a couple questions...

Here goes...took a ride this morning and wrecked less than 2 miles from my house. I was cruising on my 06 c50t at approximately 50-55mph down a 2 lane rd that I travel all the time when my ride was rudely interrupted by an suv that pulled out infront of me. I was able to miss the vehicle but dumped the bike :crying: Fortunately I was able to get my self out of the road without getting run over. First thing the driver said to me as he got out of his vehicle was "sorry man, I didn't see you" I ended up on a spine board and was transported to the hospital by ambulance. My injuries consist of a broken scapula (shoulder blade) and a bunch of roadrash. I got lucky...really really lucky...

So... being a firefighter, I know most of the emergency responders that responded to my wreck. I was informed by a couple fellow firefighters that the driver of the other vehicle told police that he inched forward but never actually entered my lane:evil:

Here is my dilemma ... I currently work 2 jobs (full time firefighter and construction) I have a 2 year old and a 7 month old and my wife is due with our 3rd in November. I don't know what I'm gonna do...the ortho Dr said I won't be able to lift anything heavy for up to 6 months...I'm pretty much screwed :crying:

My hospital bills are covered by my insurance through work so im not worried about those bills. BUT...Does anyone know if his insurance would cover my lost wages??? I didnt dammage his vehicle at all so Am I SOL becauseits his word against mine and no physical evidence? I hate the idea of suing somebody...but is that even possible or worth looking into??? Someone please help

I'm not trying to get rich quick or anything...I just need to take care of my wife n kids...thank you all for any advice u may have.

you can sue the driver but with no traffic citation it is your word vs his. In a court of law that means you can't win. His insurance will not pay anything without an an fault determination. It is an unfortunate situation but without any evidence assigning fault to a driver will not happen.

You can look at the bright side. Duane Allman died when he over anticipated distance on a left turner in front of him. Locked up the brakes and went highside. i hope you feel better and can get back to work.

Just as a note, I have short term disability insurance. Its worth looking into. Paid three weeks of my salary after a crash 6 years ago.

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts

So sorry to hear about this ..... bag.... may karma come up and bit him in the ........

stuff like this makes me want to run a camera every time I get on a bike... No wonder so may truckers have them!!!

·
Premium Member
3,046 Posts
stuff like this makes me want to run a camera every time I get on a bike... No wonder so may truckers have them!!!
Me too !

·
Premium Member
3,046 Posts
FFM
Do you have uninsured motorist clause?
File for short term disability with you job. Pay is almost normal.
Look up, not down.

·
Registered
23,535 Posts
So sorry to hear and hope you heal quickly.
Bright side...you will survive and be able to raise your kids. If you feel down, think how your family would be if things had gone wrong. The previous advice ( law suit and short term disability ) are spot on.
Get with your bill collectors and explain the situation, my experience has been that most will work with you to get through this.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Here in Alabama, you'd be at fault because you didn't hit the SOB. I learned that the hard way. A woman ran a minivan in front of me and then backed out of the road and told the police she never came into the road.
I don't know how Florida works, but I hope everything works out in your favor!
I hope for a quick recovery for you

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lightweld...I'm in Tennessee and I don't know how it works either... but hopefully its not the same here...I'm being released from the hospital this afternoon. My orthopedic Dr said I probably won't be back at the Firedepartment for 6 months:-( So.. I have a little time to do some research. For the believers out there, please say a prayer for my family and I...I will keep you all updated with the outcome

·
Super Moderator
33,464 Posts
It's time to talk with a lawyer about the situation and see what they say. We can speculate all day long, but in the end what we think doesn't matter.

No one should go without long and short term disability. You're far more likely to need it than life insurance, and it's actually quite cheap to purchase.

I really hope you heal quick and well.

·
Premium Member
7,089 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident, and hope you heal up fast!

Just curious ........... I wonder if the other driver was texting, or on his phone at the time "he didn't see you"? I'd be asking for cell phone records to determine fault.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I'm not familiar with your state law, courts, etc. however the police report will be critical. The investigating officer will typically reach some conclusion as to fault based on statements, road conditions, and the scene. Even if the other driver said he didn't come into your path, the officer could conclude otherwise. I'd sue regardless of the other drivers statement. He said what he said to avoid being held at fault. My experience is that a good number of people who do that break come deposition time. Unfortunately, too many people carry the minimum insurance limits which are not very helpful -- at least not in Louisiana where $15k limits are all that most people carry.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Administrator
29,813 Posts
A good attorney may find an eyewitness

·
Super Moderator
25,576 Posts
sorry to hear about your accident...glad you made out as well as you did considering...at this point i would consult w/an attorney and see what they would reccommend...good luck...hope your healing goes well and all goes well with your wifes upcoming delivery.Take care.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Keep in mind, to sue you just need to prove by a preponderance of the evidence (51%) that your accident was because of the other driver's negligence. Despite what people say that does not require the other driver to get a ticket. Many jurisdictions do not or cannot issue citations for unwitnessed petty misdemeanors (fail to yield). Ultimately you need a witness, the police report may help you there. Only negative to attorneys are they cost a lot, but many do work for free until they get you some money. Good luck, and fast recovery.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.