Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
shifter to release until I let the clutch lever about halfway out. Then I hear a click in the tranny case and then I pull the clutch lever back in and it allows the downshift to the next lower gear. Anyone have any ideas as to what is going on? I only have this problem downshifting.

Also, don't know if this is relevant to this issue, but when I first start the bike, if it is in first gear (I always crank in neutral now) the bike lunges forward 5-6" even with the clutch lever fully pulled back.

This is what I am experiencing with my 07 Suzuki C50. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

·
Registered
138 Posts
The first thing I would check is your clutch adjustment. Read all the way through to the end. http://www.volusiariders.com/58-motors-transmissions-drives/170041-free-perfect-your-clutch-manual-page.html
Also, the bike should NOT lunge forward 5-6" with the clutch lever fully pulled back when you start it in first gear.
That is not normal with a properly adjusted clutch.

I adjusted my clutch last month and what a difference. Smooth as silk.
By the way, I use Rotella T motor oil. Clutch works great with it. No clunking when shifting.

Here is a pdf with pictures. http://www.dets.com/rusks/Clutch%20Adjustment.pdf

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
What RPM?
It's been my experience with Suzuki (Only a TS250, Savage, and then C50) that they don't like to downshift at any noticeable RPM.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Maybe the shifter lever has dirt and grime and needs to be cleaned and then greased to free it up?

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
What RPM?
It's been my experience with Suzuki (Only a TS250, Savage, and then C50) that they don't like to downshift at any noticeable RPM.
Matching wheel speed with rpms is always good advice when down shifting. Throttle roll on and roll off is generally advisable when shifting up or down.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Updating...

I purchased the bike last November (2013) with 9,100 miles on it. The previous owner said he changed the oil in February 2013 (Mobil One Vtwin 20w-50) but did not write down or remember the mileage. The manufacturer specs call for 10w-40. There is a pretty substantial "clunking" when upshifting but I have heard this is common with the c50. Could oil weight be the issue? I have been told that living in Florida we need a thinner oil. Any thoughts?

I have put 1,300 miles on it since November and it seems 10,400 miles is pretty low for needing a new clutch. The only clutch adjustment I know of is the cable. I am a "newer" rider and am still learning the mechanics of my bike. I will check out the pdf file as suggested by lv2tinker...

Thanks again for all the help and advice...

·
Premium Member
6,301 Posts
Also, don't know if this is relevant to this issue, but when I first start the bike, if it is in first gear (I always crank in neutral now) the bike lunges forward 5-6" even with the clutch lever fully pulled back.
You have a wet clutch system on your bike. The clutch plates kinda get stuck together when cold, which causes the lurching when you try to start it in gear. Start it in neutral and you won't have this issue, it is normal (do a search for lurch on the site and you will see a lot of posts going back many years). After it warms it's not a issue.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
The manufacturer specs call for 10w-40. There is a pretty substantial "clunking" when upshifting but I have heard this is common with the c50. Could oil weight be the issue? I have been told that living in Florida we need a thinner oil. Any thoughts?
Ehrm...no. In hotter climates you use thicker oil. (and 10% of oil volume Lucas Heavy duty oil stabilizer)
Check your clutch adjustment....if that's good try adding (12 oz I believe) Lucas.

In cooler weather my Vol has always lurches a little when cold either starting in first or engaging it while the engine is cold...On the rare occasions when I think about it, I work the clutch a couple times to get some lube in between the plates before engaging first. Dry plates stuck together from sitting whether it be hours or days are going to grab tis just the nature of wet multi-plate clutches. As long as it only does lurches at startup or the first engagement of first gear after starting it's perfectly normal.

As far as downshifting issues if the clutch adjustment is fine the next thing to look at is what road speed vs which gear you are downshifting to...and always give a bit of throttle right before or while downshifting.

Lucas and 20W50 smoothed out the clunkyness of my Vol's gearbox....I'm fairly certain it has played a roll in the longevity of my engine as well. Darn good stuff in my book....so long as you don't exceed the 10% maximum recommended for wet clutch bikes.

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
This sounds like the clutch just needs adjusting. If you are running 20-50 that should be fine in hot or cool weather. I'd try the adjustment recommended first, then move to potential oil issues.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I agree with doing a full clutch adjustment. There should be a Sticky on here for that.
And YES you will have some lurch when starting these bikes cold in gear and Yes it is normal with a wet clutch bike as Jen said above.
And I also believe you have the correct oil for where you live, so I would rule that out.
I would bet, either a full clutch adjustment, or replacing the shifter bushing with a G-bushing will fix your problem. You can find the G-bushing by googleing, G-man industries.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
RPM usually at idle, or just above. It used to happen (I reposted the problem has been fixed, loose nut around the adjusment screw) primarily when I rolled up to an intersection/stop sign and was trying down shift back down to 1st.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts