Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we have some Royal Star Venture owners here and I have a question or two.

We are now seriously looking at getting a touring bike. My wife wants to do a cross country bike trip and to be honest the C50T isn't the best for 2 up riding for that trip.

The Royal Star Venture is near the top of the list, especially for looks, features AND price. But something I can't find on the Yamaha web site is the estimated MPG and what can of gas the beast likes to drink. Our other contenders, the H-D Ultra Classic and the BMW K1200LT drink premium unleaded. What about the Royal Star? I'm interested in what THE MANUAL SAYS!

Also, what kind of gas mileage can I expect from the Royal Star Venture? Both the H-D and BMW are impressive there while the Gold Wing is somewhat dissappointing.

Thanks in advance!
Chris

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Mine's not a venture, but it's set up just like one with bags, trunk and faring...

but on regular 87 pump gas my beast gets 35-36 mpg... mind you mine only has around 75hp where as the new ones have about 98hp... so they may be a little different now, but that at least gives you a starting point.

8)

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the infor Ratmanz.

I managed to ride a used Venture a while back at a Honda stealer. The next week when my wife was with me they had discontinued test rides so she didn't get to ride.

I have along with my wife ridden the Ultra, BMW and the Vision, in fact was encouraged to ride and take her with me on all three of those. I think the Ultra is more "comfy" but the K1200LT has got the heart of a sport bike with the comfort and ergonomics of a touring bike. The Vision is "different". I felt much more comfortable at slow speeds (parking lots) on the Ultra and Vision.

I could do the trip on the C50T. But, even with a Mustang seat and floorboards for her, I can see where it wouldn't be as much fun. BUT, she wants to keep the C50T and get the touring bike!! I think I'll keep her! :D

·
Registered
18,342 Posts
my fiance' has a RS Venture 2003. Riding 2 up AND pulling a loaded m/c trailer to SD last year we got about 25-32 mpg. if i recall right.

Single rider he gets about 40-42 mpg....and he isn't a light-weight.

I'll email him this thread link and let him give you more accurate info.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wehrd1 said:
my fiance' has a RS Venture 2003. Riding 2 up AND pulling a loaded m/c trailer to SD last year we got about 25-32 mpg. if i recall right.

I thank you greatly!

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have a 2006 RSTD. Same running gear as the Venture... minus the electronics and fairing. When I parked it last year I was getting right about 40mpg sensible riding 60 to 70 mph on the highway. The faster you go the more gas she likes to eat. One up or two up made little difference.

Grat bike

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
~Bones~ said:
I have a 2006 RSTD. Same running gear as the Venture... minus the electronics and fairing. When I parked it last year I was getting right about 40mpg sensible riding 60 to 70 mph on the highway. The faster you go the more gas she likes to eat. One up or two up made little difference.

Grat bike
Thanks Bones! Pretty much what I was looking for. I'd hoped for better mileage but considering it's a V4 with 4 carbs, it's still better than I expected.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Well that was also after I put 12k on her. They take a little breaking in... expect light to medium 30's for a bit. A long hard ride will finish the breakin nicely at about 10k.

Good luck and have fun picking your next ride.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
he knows those bikes inside and out!

and steve g as well
WTF? You're saying I don't know my stuff???? :x OK - I don't know as much as Larry.....but I think I could give Steve a run for his money. :p

I rode mine yesterday in 25 mph winds with gusts up to 35 - or so it was reported. I put in over 300 miles - averaging about 75 - 80 mph and I averaged 34 mpg. With the tail wind on the way home.......I average 44..but how often do you get a tailwind like that??? lol

I can't speak for others who own ventures.......as Colleen said .......(thanks sweetie......I love you too.....b!tch) .... I'm not a lightweight..280lbs......but the wind has NEVER affected my ability to handle this bike.

Yesterday I was riding with 3 other guys....one on an ultra classic, one on a valkyrie - one on a goldwing. The guy on the ultra classic spent most of the day complaining that he just didn't have the power he needed to ride in that wind, and that he was having one hell of a time keeping the wheels under him. ( he wasn't so little either) The guy on the valkyrie complained about head buffeting....and the guy on the goldwing.......well he didn't say anything....naturally. His wife on the other hand, was complaining about feeling like she was going to be blown out of the passenger seat.

I've never heard Colleen complain from the back of my bike...not about the ride at least.......just about my choice of routes..wrong turns....choice of music.....etc etc.

The venture rides like a dream on the open road......in town, it takes some getting used to...but once you spend a few hundred miles on it, you'll like it better than the Volusia. YES - I KNOW - that's hard to believe.

The stereo is AWESOME as well.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
wehrd1 said:

Riding two up - pulling the trailer at about 75 mph - we got about 32 mpg.

ON the way home from TOTT......following Czar at about....oh......how fast would you say he was going Colleen? Basshole? JJ?? about 90 - 100 mph? Anyway - following Czar under the aforementioned circs - I averaged between 15 and 20 mpg. It wasn't pretty.......and that is NOT the norm! :p You'll do ok on the mileage as long as you don't try to keep up with him. 8)

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know a guy with a Valkrie and he's always moaning about the range of his gas tank!

I did notice the Venture seems more to lift off the kickstand then the Ultra but I haven't compared the waits. I can get a decent deal on a Peace Officer Edition Ultra but it's still nearly $2,000 than the RSV.

The RSV is looking better and better. :)

·
Registered
18,342 Posts
calan said:
wehrd1 said:

Riding two up - pulling the trailer at about 75 mph - we got about 32 mpg.

ON the way home from TOTT......following Czar at about....oh......how fast would you say he was going Colleen? Basshole? JJ?? about 90 - 100 mph? Anyway - following Czar under the aforementioned circs - I averaged between 15 and 20 mpg. It wasn't pretty.......and that is NOT the norm! :p You'll do ok on the mileage as long as you don't try to keep up with him. 8)
^^ going 90 - 100mph (and he ain't kiddin') he was also pulling the trailer then too..and yeah, it SUCKED the gas big time. And I had a helluva time keeping up with on my Vol....but I managed. My bike was SCREAMING!!! Czar is murder on that MeanStreak. JimJack was staying right behind us on his C50.

I think we were a line of blur flying south down Hwy 151 heading home.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts