Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I begin, just let me preface my statements with some background info...

I have been riding machines of some sort for over 31 years. If it has wheels on it and it goes, I have ridden or at least tried to ride it.
Two, three and 4 wheels. Bikes and cagers alike. To this date, I have a spotless DMV, have never had an accident aside from getting thrown off a 3 wheeled ATV and a 4 wheeled ATV on a couple of occasions. I have owned Metric Cruisers, crotch rockets, Harleys and dual sport dirt bikes. Many of you are in the same or similar situation as me.

I try to be as safe as possible, watch other drivers, ride defensively and am not a speed demon. I have a wife and 3 girls at home. I wear a helmet regardless of what or where I am riding. I don't wear a helmet because I have a profound belief that they work...I wear one because I never want my family to think that I didn't care enough about them to try to protect myself as much as possible. Whether or not they save lives is an issue best discussed elsewhere.

I love to ride. There is no better feeling like leaving your problems scattered all over the road with a face full of wind on a warm spring day...period.

Lately, due to gasoline prices, it is becoming more of a neccessity to ride. It costs me $125.00 or more per week to drive my 4x4 truck to work and it costs me somewhere around $16.00 per week to ride my bike. There isn't a whole lot of argument there.

Here's my problem. The ever increasing danger that we as bike riders are being exposed to is making it harder to justify our love for riding or the extra $$ in our pockets at the end of the week.

Example:
I went for a 250 mile ride with 4 other friends last Sunday. We left Alcoa, TN to Townsend, TN to Pigeon Forge, TN to Newport, TN, to Morristown TN to Cherokee Lake and back to Knoxville and Oak Ridge via Rutledge Pike.
Coming back from Newport to get to the 81 exchange to Morristown, we watched a group of 30 or so crotch rockets parked on the side of the interstate while they watched paramedics and emergency personel try to save the life of one of their own who was laying TRASHED in the median. I was told that they were going well over 90 mph and we were riding the same road with them. The emergency vehicles were still arriving so this happened just un front of us.

Example:
1 week before, a woman, very close to this same area of the interstate, changed lanes without looking and took out a rider who is still in ICU, I believe.

Example:
2 weeks ago, a good friend of mine was loading his wife's new silverwing into a toy hauler after a riding trip in Savanah, GA when his foot caught the hinge point of the ramp and was pulled off the bike breaking all the ribs on his left side and breaking the bikes fairing into 3 pieces.

Example:
2 weeks ago, a lifelong family friend's daughter was riding her HD up around Wartburg, TN when she was hit head-on by another biker who crossed into her lane. Her foot and several fingers were amputated. The doctors managed to sew her foot back on but the fingers are gone and among other problems, she may never walk well again, much less ride.

Example:
Tuesday, I was coming home from work on Clinton highway heading towards my home in Oka Ridge. I was in the inside lane and a tractor trailer was in the outside lane when when a teenage girl pulled out to cross the highway right in front of me and directly in the path of the oncoming tractor trailer. This caused me and the truck driver to iniate a panic stop and he swerved into my lane about 2 feet behind me. She never looked back. I caught up to her at the next light and screamed "Are you trying to get someone killed?" where she politely responded by laughing and speeding off down a side road.

1 mile later, a dually truck carrying construction materials lost a whole bale of insulation right in front of me. I tried to swerve and miss it but it bounced all over the place and almost took me out. The driver stopped and his helper loaded the bale back into the truck without tying it down, said "sorry 'bout that" and took off to try again to kill someone else.

2 miles from home, a man in a brown cadillac cut me off on a wide, 4 lane curve as if he never knew I was there. By this time I am still shaken and getting more pi$$ed off by the moment and am seriously contemplating going to jail for pulling this SOB out of his cage and beating the living crap out of him when I hear a siren behind me. I signal to pull over and the state trooper (in an unmarked grey charger) goes around me and pulls this guy over. I stopped and asked him to allow me to at least hit him 5 times before he arrested me for assult and the trooper stated that he would handle this driver for me by writing him a ticket for unsafe lane change, speeding, reckless driving and failure to signal. I guarantee that this driver will continue to disregard bikers. At least the trooper was on our side.

What I mean is that with all these things going on, day after day, I can't help but wonder if it is worth it to continue to ride on our highways. It was never this congested, reckless and disrespectful in the old days. People actually cut you off and will leave you to bleed to death on the side of the road so that they can get to their suburban home in time to watch their TIVO'd soap operas before going to pilates class.

My rant is over....

Yes, I'll continue to ride...

No, I won't kill anyone with road rage...I just get frustrated with people's lack of information, respect and ability to be safe drivers.

·
Registered
18,342 Posts
might I suggest getting one of these?? wouldn't it be GREAT!!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Feel better now...................................... I know, doesn't help as much as the road rage response would. :lol: Seriously, glad you survived it all unscathed. Ride safe. I'm thinking of heading out for a little spin. Maybe I'll skip Clinton Hwy. :lol:

·
Premium Member
16,535 Posts
That's it.....get it out of your system. We ALL have to vent sometimes.
I have had days like that where everything goes wrong, BUT the days in between where the sky is blue, the birds are singing, and it is just you and your machine cruising along with total freedom make it all worthwhile to me.

·
Banned
1,017 Posts
two day span

I was rear ended in slow traffic on city street and next day almost got hit by a mofo who don't use his mirrors on highway.........

What can I say...........

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
If you aren't afraid of dying get back on the bike and take a trip out into the country thats not to heavily traveled. Take in the springtime. Stop at a nice diner. People die everyday in very arbitrary ways. Make the most of your life and enjoy it. I was in a bus wreck that killed 19 of my friends at 17 years old. I am an older man now. Ya can't live worrying about tomorrow.

:wink:

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
You're right, more and more people just have absolutely NO respect for anyone else on the road, and I don't just mean for motorcycles. Every day I see an increasing number of examples of idiotic driving. :evil:
All I can say is BE AWARE, and BE CAREFUL!

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
I have difficulty with anger when driving, so bad at times I will pull over to calm down...(learned my lesson about raging some years back)

Pretty frustrating things happening daily behind the wheel or on the grips.

Not all of us are angels or consistently patient.
It's just FU attitude that I can't get past lately.

Hope you find some peace there Bo...I can certainly understand.

jim

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well,

I am not trading in the truck...I need it to haul my toys! :lol:

I am definitely not going to stop riding...especially not after 31 years.

I just might modify my bike with a grenade launcher and a bazooka tho...

Thanks guys...just gotta rant sometimes. At least you all understand.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
I was looking for one of those remote idiot zappers to post a picture in the swap meet where you wanted to know what they were ordering. :lol:

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
590 Posts
I completely understand ... got launched over the hood of a car when I was younger ... these days I have had to lock it down a few times to avoid idiots and the "unseeing" ... a few years ago it was everything I could do not to yank someone through their window and beat the ever-loving snot out of them ...

... ever read the experiment about the three bikes they sent out to test "road awareness" ... one with all safety orange and yellows ... one with all black ... and one that looked like a motor patrolman ... the first two, regardless of safety colors or the lack of them, both suffered several cutoffs and near collisions ... the guy that looked like a cop had well behaved drivers all around him ... the theory being is that it is subliminal awareness ... they DO see you ... they just fail to recognize you ... the fake cop came to awareness only because they were "instictively" in "fear" for getting caught ... pretty amazing really ...

... so I just bought me this fairing from a 1970's Honda that is a dead-ringer for a cop bike ... got some old Shoei bags ... gonna do my own experiment and see what happens ... gonna leave the bike black but paint the old bags and trunk white to match the fairing ... lol ...

·
Registered
158 Posts
I hear ya, sometimes you gotta wonder what people are thinking about.
Two weeks ago I was pulling up to a red light, in the left turn lane. Blinkers on lights on just rolling up to the light. Lady in some big suv just decided she wanted to turn left too and started over there with me. I jumped on the brakes and she just kept coming like no one else was there but her.

( I wonder how hard it would be to shield my ignition and cobble up a big pulse generator......)

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Bobocephus, it's the same way here in AZ. I've been in Phoenix 9 years and it gets worse every year.

I was on my way to work this morning on a 3-lane road. I was in the middle lane. The driver in the left lane just moved right over in front of me, with about 2 feet between her rear bumper and my front tire, at 45 MPH. To her credit, she did have her turn signal on - usually they don't. However, she didn't turn it on before she changed lanes, so I had no warning. She stayed in my lane for about 2 seconds, then just drifted over to the right lane. I don't know if she had any idea I was there. I had my headlight and driving lights on, I don't know how she could have not seen me.

It all boils down to the fact that many people are discourteous, self-absorbed, inattentive and some are just plain stupid. If someone ever runs into me while on their cell phone, they had better hope they kill or incapacitate me, because I'm going to be coming after them.

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
RevBill said:
I completely understand ... got launched over the hood of a car when I was younger ... these days I have had to lock it down a few times to avoid idiots and the "unseeing" ... a few years ago it was everything I could do not to yank someone through their window and beat the ever-loving snot out of them ...

... ever read the experiment about the three bikes they sent out to test "road awareness" ... one with all safety orange and yellows ... one with all black ... and one that looked like a motor patrolman ... the first two, regardless of safety colors or the lack of them, both suffered several cutoffs and near collisions ... the guy that looked like a cop had well behaved drivers all around him ... the theory being is that it is subliminal awareness ... they DO see you ... they just fail to recognize you ... the fake cop came to awareness only because they were "instictively" in "fear" for getting caught ... pretty amazing really ...

... so I just bought me this fairing from a 1970's Honda that is a dead-ringer for a cop bike ... got some old Shoei bags ... gonna do my own experiment and see what happens ... gonna leave the bike black but paint the old bags and trunk white to match the fairing ... lol ...
don't forgret a white and silver helmet w/ black trim......at least a white helmet.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Boxwrench said:
RevBill said:

don't forgret a white and silver helmet w/ black trim......at least a white helmet.
... ahhh ... good thinking man ... heh heh ...

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
I think that it might change soon in that there will be a lot more bikes on the road and fewer large vehicles. But, some people will just fork up the money no matter what to fuel their large gas guzzlers.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts